Medical Student
How old are you?

compstomper

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I just turned 29 two weeks ago. Got onto the premed track at 24, and I'm starting school (MD) next summer :)

Reactions: Loveneko
May 28, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I'll bite. I'm 29 and just finished my first semester of med school. Plus I have a wife, a daughter, and another on the way.

Reactions: Allen18328

prettyNURSEtoMD

7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
27 year old single mom to a 4 year old boy :) Bachelors in Nursing, and a degree in liberal arts.

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2011
Suburban Detroit, MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I will be 31 in Feb, in my second year of med school. Worked for 4 years as a chemist before starting med school, have a house, a wife, and a soon to be three year old son.

iceman55

7+ Year Member
May 9, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This makes me feel a little better, I'm 38. I've been seeing 22 and 23 year olds posting things as non-trad.
Haha guess I just dodged that bullet.

Am 24, starting med school next fall. Worked and got a masters after UG.

Reactions: sazerac

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
Finishing residency at 39. Was 31 when I started med school.

jla1985

7+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2011
Status
MD/PhD Student
28. Went to a top-tier public university out of high school then left school, worked a bunch of odd jobs, and had a son (now 5). Completed BA as a single mom 7.5 years after starting, finished ScM earlier this year, and will be in med school somewhere this upcoming fall, perhaps even as an MD/PhD candidate. :)

doyouhaveaflag

No flag, no country
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
30. Always wanted to do medicine, but my undergrad GPA suffered severely due to a now-resolved health problem. I have been doing damage control ever since. I have applied four times, have worked for the last 7 years, and did a post-bacc while working full-time. This year is finally my year. I have two MD acceptances so far!

I do feel that taking one year between undergrad in med school is no longer "non-traditional". Among the people I spoke to at my interviews, I'd say more than half took a year off for research or work.

MedWonk

高飛車
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
New England
Status
Medical Student
29. Started post-bacc at 26. Was a public school teacher in a foreign country before then. Will be just shy of 30 when I start med school.

Reactions: JustaUnicorn

lunalight

Professional Night Owl
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2012
In a van down by the river
Status
Resident [Any Field]
30. Just finished my first semester of med school. Went back to finish my degree at 25. (Wow, it doesn't feel like it was that long ago!)

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Started med school at 34. 38 now in my fourth year.

I caution you that there's much more to being a nontrad than age - do please don't judge people on here solely based on their youthfulness. :) I think ejw5075 would agree, for example, as a young mother.

Last edited:

futuredoc331

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Just turned 26 and finished my first semester (bio I, chem I, and physics I) of pre-med courses. Started and stopped undergrad about 5x, been in two different branches of the military (went basic training both times), and I'm married with one 21 month old and a baby on the way.

I should be 29 when I start med school.

AkGrown84

5+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Status
Medical Student
Turning 30 in February, married just after I turned 18 (just after my first year of undergrad), had my oldest son 2 years later, divorced when he was 3. Went back to school, met my husband, got married, graduated with my BA while 9 pregnant with my second son, started an informal post-bac for my prereqs, peppered it with two more pregnancies and kiddos, and started studying for the MCAT while 8 months pregnant with my youngest. I've been a stay-at-home mom/student/ER scribe/volunteer/jack-of-all trades for years, and was just accepted to medical school class of 2018!Crazy, crazy ride thus far!

Mar 8, 2013
Thwarting Darwin
Status
Pre-Medical
32, married with three kids. I'll be 36 when I start med school, if all things work out. I'm lucky because my kids and husband are really supportive.

sazerac

rye sense of humor
5+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2012
Status
Medical Student
43, as a second year medical student. When I graduate in 2016 I will be married with 2 or 3 kids.

It's been a wild and thoroughly enjoyable ride so far. I can't wait to see what comes next.

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
I guess I'm slightly non trad, I'm 25 will be starting med school at 26.

Reactions: JustaUnicorn

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Currently 28, will be starting med school at 29. I'm a high school dropout that was basically homeless for a few years, after which I got a GED and went to community college to become a respiratory therapist. I sort of fell in love with medicine, and decided to go back to get my bachelors degree and hopefully make it into medical school. Worked full time through all of it, ended up married, then divorced, and nearly married again, all while attending college yet I somehow managed to keep my grades from imploding. I travelled and saw a lot of the world when I had the time, made a lot of friends, loved, lost, etc. It's weird meeting residents on the job that have gone straight from high school to undergrad to med school to residency. They're often the same age as me and yet many haven't lived much of a life at all up to this point, and most come from pretty well off backgrounds, so I kind of have trouble relating to them.

I wouldn't say age makes a nontraditional student, but it certainly helps. Those extra years give you the experiences and perspective that make going back to medical school an entirely different endeavor than it is for a person going straight through the undergrad>med school pipeline. You've seen the world, lived in it. You know what you are sacrificing by going back. And many of you have worked in the medical field and also have a very good idea what you are getting yourselves into. To the pipeline kids, the sacrifice of medicine is more of an idea based on other ideas and assumptions. They have an idea of what the real world is like, what being an adult is like, what dating and working a job and all of the other things they will be missing out on are, but they haven't lived them. This makes the sacrifice and investment in medical school no less great, but entirely different in nature.

sindadel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
36, married with three kids. I was 32 when I started. I worked for ten years in software.

Reactions: mcdtheta

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2010
Georgia
Status
Medical Student
I'll be 40 when I start next Aug. Married, father of three. Worked for 4 years after hs, graduated from college at 26 while working throughout. Diff a bunch of research in college and a bit after, did other really odd jobs, later settled in public health. Passion for medicine never faded, went back for post bacc, mcat and acceptance.

MedSpeech

5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2013
New York, NY
Status
Non-Student
I am 54 and am an MSIII with plans of graduating in May of 2014 on an accelerated track. I spent 25+ years practicing law and raising three sons. Do not let anyone tell you that you are too old to achieve your dreams. So long as you have passion and determination, you can do it.
First person I have seen close to my situ, 44 w. 2 years of post bac (I have no sci courses) ahead and 4 (considering dental tho) I'm a speech path w/ a Masters in public health as well as MS in speech. Would be early 50 s when I finish and still not fully decided yet...

Reactions: mcdtheta

DrCharlemagne

Old Maid in Training
7+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Status
Medical Student
I will turn 29 as I begin MS1. Graduated, worked for two years, post-bac, worked for two more years, applied twice, now accepted. I am literally counting the days until I start...

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
26, but I think the fact that I'm a divorced single mother makes me more of a non-traditional student than my age.
How old is/are your kid(s)?

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have one child who is 7 years old.
:hello: Welcome! Like I said before:
I caution you that there's much more to being a nontrad than age - do please don't judge people on here solely based on their youthfulness. :) I think ejw5075 would agree, for example, as a young mother.

MDOnlyWillDo

Diet Dew = elixir of life
5+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
39, single mom of an 11 year old, hoping to start med school at 40. Graduated UG at 24, had a career in research, and started building my application since '08 while still working FT. I'm now in a SMP, praying for that elusive acceptance. I am so happy to see other "old" pre-meds. :)

Beandog

5+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I'll celebrate my 29th birthday in my first week of medical school.

Started school at 23, got the bachelors at 26, another 2 years of postbac and applying.

Having watched my friends graduate and only then begin my journey made me feel waaay behind for a few years.

xfiretampa

5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2011
Status
Medical Student
31 next month-started premed journey when I was 26

vc7777

Nontrad MD/MS Resident
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2009
Midwest