Are you really non-traditional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely, no question I'm a non-trad... I'm 30 and just over a year from applying, have a master's and held/hold careers in environmental finance and env. science, former wildland firefighter (hotshot), and current business owner (environmental consulting).

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely, no question I'm a non-trad... I'm 30 and just over a year from applying, have a master's and held/hold careers in environmental finance and env. science, former wildland firefighter (hotshot), and current business owner (environmental consulting).

Also a former hotshot. :) It's come up in every single interview I've been on and has been a great experience to point to when I've been asked about things like resiliency and teamwork.

Reactions: 1 user
Upper late 20's, graduated in 2010 after messing up at a previous institution. Thought I wanted to be an attorney, but was lucky enough to realize that the current legal industry would make law school a six-figure field trip. I work in Biglaw & am currently taking pre-reqs while trying to grab a volunteer gig at one of the local hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also a former hotshot. :) It's come up in every single interview I've been on and has been a great experience to point to when I've been asked about things like resiliency and teamwork.
Right on, good to make your virtual acquaintance! I met another non-trad/hotshot on here and ended up running into him on a fire. Cool experience.

There are a tons of lessons I've taken from that life and in a prospective way apply them towards med school and residency. Definitely resiliency, fortitude, team-work, focus/maintaining composure, a little more about resiliency & fortitude, long shifts, a typical hierarchy/chain of command, motivation to provide an important service.... I could go on. Very likely the job that has best prepared me for the challenges and tests that are to come.

Reactions: 1 users
I just turned 24. I'm a junior on the pre-med track. An ED and Red Cross volunteer and trying to become an ER Scribe for more experience. A bit of a non-traditional student due to financial situation. Good luck to all! :)

Real non- trad, 41 years old, married with 3 kids. Been out of school for 9 years. An RN for more than three years. Now accepted for class of 2018. Love it and excited.

Reactions: 4 users
Will be matriculating in fall 2014 at 31yo!

Shuffleboard anyone? I'm 35 and hoping to start my application cycle next year.

31, will turn 32 this summer before matriculating in August. Married with 2 kids, ages 5 & 8. Due with our 3rd during the first month of classes. Started this journey at 27, 4 cycles later, finally in.

Reactions: 2 users
Such a fun thread to read through!

I'm 25. Hit the pause button on academics, got married, enjoyed a few "honeymoon years" in Minnesota while working as a lab tech in vaccine research. Skipped a cycle, then applied last and current cycles. Will be 26 this fall when I start med school, married, kid on the way AW MAH GAWWWD IM GROWING UP SO FAAAAAAAST

I will be applying at age 40. Nontrad mostly in terms of age since I took a while to grow up, then longer to see myself capable of learning and doing great things. I hardly even notice that I'm older than most of my classmates unless I happen to think about it.

Over 40 (yes, that's me in the photo). Started working at age 16 . Returned to college in my 30's, got into honors classes and was offered a small scholarship. Often worked (sometimes 8 am-12:30 am) while at university and got A's. Started pre_RN program this January and now have the goal of becoming a Physician Assistant in Rheumatology.

30 years old. I always wanted to be a "spook" but then family happened. I spent some time in the Navy (mostly growing up and doing some cool things as a medic). I got out and worked for NATO for two years and thought about doing PA but a heavy science semester lead me to where I am now. Accepted c/o 2018.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
45 years old and I'm an MD1. First year is flying by. Most of the time I don't feel different or out of place. I did feel very discriminated against while I was applying but that's water under the bridge - I'm very happy where I am now.

37. Working on a primary bachelor's degree at Northwestern University in Biology.. hoping to be ready to start med school in 2-3 years.

35, 2 kids, practiced law for 9 years before finally deciding to stop lamenting the fact that I dropped pre-med at 18 and start over. Should be done with my pre-reqs by June, hoping to take the June MCAT and apply for 2015 start.

"Got lost on my way to college" ( Jarhead quote), did a lot of different stuff in the Marines, lots of life experiences elsewhere.

When I'm seeing people with high school shirts on with "class of 2011" in my current classes and my ten-year is coming up, I am assuming that means I am non-trad.

I think I qualify as nontraditional . I'm a 32 year old single mom to a 13 year old working on bachelors . Been a nurse for 10 years . Not the best academic record because I flunked out of college at 17.

30 years old, married and have five children (ages 11 to 1) including one we adopted.

25 yo from Poland, was an Au-Pair for 2 years, then professional nanny for 3 years ( yes its a profession), started college in fall 2012 in NYC and now im married and applying this cycle - hoping to matriculate in 2015 since i have a long road to become neurosurgeon.

didnt attempt med school in Poland since you need a very specific classes in HS and get 100 on your HS exams... people said its not for me.. well let me see them burn ;)

45 finishing BS. Rough start on my medical school career that began back in 2003. Life circumstances took me on a different path.

Today I have a new perspective and focus. Leaving my 6 figure / year job to pursue a higher calling. Academic school year doesn't start until August, so I have a few months to sell my house and get situated.

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts. I'll be 48 when I apply to med school. I'm REALLY enjoying the knowledge that I'm far from the oldest one around.

A pre-med advisor at my university said something that made a lot of sense with regard to (older) non-trad students applying to med school: "Your age is but one, out of several, factors medical schools consider when making admissions decisions"

Best common sense thing I heard all day!

Last edited:
Never ask a lady her age! LOL Def qualify for non-trad.

Last edited:
I am 34 & starting a post bacc progrm this fall. I have two masters'degrees. I hope to start med school at age 36.

Almost 33, married, 4 kids. About to start round frickin' four of this.

BS in 2003, MS in 2007. None were even close to medicine.

This thread just made my day!

Am 30, will be almost 32 my first year of med school should everything go according to plan. Not just age wise but non-traditional in other ways - like being a former professional actor and improv comedian.

43, as a second year medical student. When I graduate in 2016 I will be married with 2 or 3 kids.

It's been a wild and thoroughly enjoyable ride so far. I can't wait to see what comes next.

Well, it certainly won't be copious amounts of sleep, that's for sure.

like being a former professional actor and improv comedian.

You are not the only non-trad on the thread with this background. ;) Did tv/radio/theater/film professionally for a few years... by few, I mean 20. Originally on stage, then backstage. Turns out I liked backstage much better. Now I save the comedy for special occassions.

You are not the only non-trad on the thread with this background. ;) Did tv/radio/theater/film professionally for a few years... by few, I mean 20. Originally on stage, then backstage. Turns out I liked backstage much better. Now I save the comedy for special occassions.

Wink wink nudge nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean.

25. Unmotivated Liberal arts grad with extremely low 2.4 GPA. Renewed vigor after having medical difficulties myself. I will be taking required prerequisites this coming spring before applying to med school. Your stories are so inspiring and give me hope that I can succeed as well. Thank you for sharing and good luck to all.

26 with Bio background and M.Sc. Good GPA, bad ECs, taking MCAT this year hopefully! Wanted to do med school for a while in Undergrad but then I fell in love with research. Fire officially re-kindled once I was diagnosed with chronic pain condition and the only people who did help me were my doctors.

30 years old. 27 MCAT. founder of non-profit. currently living in third-world country. professional surfer on ASP circuit.

^very cool. I was a product of the surf industry as well. Not professional but it was my life nonetheless. Director of ESA, team rider, surf shop employee, college surf team president, rep etc... Then I decided I wanted to stop living for my selfish desires and really help people... Good luck surfguy.

^very cool. I was a product of the surf industry as well. Not professional but it was my life nonetheless. Director of ESA, team rider, surf shop employee, college surf team president, rep etc... Then I decided I wanted to stop living for my selfish desires and really help people... Good luck surfguy.

Thanks man. It's been a blast, I've been riding pro since I was 19...but like you, I'm so ready to give up hanging at the beach, surfing all day, and visiting tropical locales ;)

That's awesome! I also preferred direction and costume design to acting. I think the only people I dislike more than pre-med students are actors. Currently trying my hand at poetry reading and slam poetry - less of a time commitment with studying. Are you still involved?

Also, you'd be AMAZED at the conversations I've been a part of at my teaching hospital. I work at an ethical institute which holds workshops on empathy, the division of competence and care, and how artifice actually grants us permission to accept our shared humanity. We use conversational feedback, similar to actor notes, and an educational forum for clinicians to practice intention and interactions with actors. Not just the standardized patient model but actual pros who improv difficult scenarios. It's just like the differential use of self you see in actors and theatre - amazing stuff to watch.

Never in one million years would I have imagined I'd be engaged in a conversation about how we can utilize the art of communication and theatre to educate clinicians on expressing and utilizing empathy. Mind = blown.

That's awesome! I also preferred direction and costume design to acting. I think the only people I dislike more than pre-med students are actors. Currently trying my hand at poetry reading and slam poetry - less of a time commitment with studying. Are you still involved?

Also, you'd be AMAZED at the conversations I've been a part of at my teaching hospital. I work at an ethical institute which holds workshops on empathy, the division of competence and care, and how artifice actually grants us permission to accept our shared humanity. We use conversational feedback, similar to actor notes, and an educational forum for clinicians to practice intention and interactions with actors. Not just the standardized patient model but actual pros who improv difficult scenarios. It's just like the differential use of self you see in actors and theatre - amazing stuff to watch.

Never in one million years would I have imagined I'd be engaged in a conversation about how we can utilize the art of communication and theatre to educate clinicians on expressing and utilizing empathy. Mind = blown.

I originally went from TV/radio/theater acting (and bits of standup) to theater stage management/directing, then to film, then back to radio, then back to theater.

The last thing I did was last year when I worked at the Georgia Renaissance Festival. The best thing about that is I had very little I had to actually prepare ahead of time. I am now insisting that I don't sign up for things that require too much time outside performance time. I almost worked this year, but I had two... yes two positions pulled from me due to weird situations that I had no idea about ahead of time.

I can completely believe theater as being helpful, I've actually pointed that out to people and they think I am a nutter. You just proved me right. YAY!

25. I graduated with a liberal arts degree, worked for two years, and am now in the 2nd semester of my post bacc. I plan on taking classes until 2015 and applying by June 2016 for med school. Sometimes it feels like the journey is too long, but I know i'll get there.