Are you religious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Presse

Due to the fact....
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not hoping this thread suddenly blossom into a debate about agnostics or the usual mundane things people bicker about. I just wanted to know who uses religious components in their life, whether it be reading religious texts recreationally or participate in a weekly service/worship/devotion. It does not matter what religion. You may specify if you like.

Personally, I try to be religious in my own life because that was how I was brought up. I often reflect and make a lot of my decisions based on the moral truths that religion has bred in me since I was a child. In my culture, we hold God firmly and attend services and worship. We communicate with our creator in a way that is very personal with us, in hopes that he will make us grow into a better person.

Anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I am, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. :confused:

Yes I am, but I'm not sure I understand the purpose of this thread. :confused:

Anytime the OP is prefaced with "I don't want this to turn into a debate" or something along those lines, I'm immediately suspicious. I believe the probability of that happening in any threads where that statement appears is 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anytime the OP is prefaced with "I don't want this to turn into a debate" or something along those lines, I'm immediately suspicious. I believe the probability of that happening in any threads where that statement appears is 1.

Lol. Nick. I simply wanted to know the role of religion in people's lives. I am, however, aware of the reputation of these types of threads.

Powered by the eternal Vishanti, the omnipotent Oshtur, and the all-seeing Agamotto.

But, seriously, I'm not religious at all, and I don't believe in a "God" in any of the big-three religions sort of ways. I grew up with a set of morals and have modified them according to my own personal perceptions about society and the universe.

In short, despite my sarcastic tone on the internet, I generally am nice to everyone and treat others how I would want to be treated. It's as simple as that.

No belief in a god or goddess and no interest in religion, organized or otherwise.

I'm catholic, and I live in a household of on fire men. We have morning prayer at 5:30 am 3x a week, I try to read scripture every other day, and mass every Sunday. I also volunteer for the teen section at or church. And every Saturday we get together with the women's house to discuss where our life is at, and worship.
So kinda religious haha.
Romney2012

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm catholic, and I live in a household of on fire men. We have morning prayer at 5:30 am 3x a week, I try to read scripture every other day, and mass every Sunday. I also volunteer for the teen section at or church. And every Saturday we get together with the women's house to discuss where our life is at, and worship.
So kinda religious haha.
Romney2012

+1

R Monay 2012

I try to worship the sun and give homage to Joe Pesci at least once a week.

Yes, and I'm a reformed protestant to be specific. It plays a big role in my life and I wouldn't change a thing.

"I don't know about you, but I practice a disorganized religion. I belong to an unholy disorder. We call ourselves 'Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment.'"

- Kurt Vonnegut

No belief in a god or goddess and no interest in religion, organized or otherwise.

:thumbup: +4 Which makes my household very awkward, because everyone else in my family is/are devout Christians. :(

:thumbup: +4 Which makes my household very awkward, because everyone else in my family is/are devout Christians. :(

He lives with his mom!

Went to Catholic schools until high school and that helped illustrate some major flaws in religion. Still I'm hoping for more after this life and I treat people as I would like to be treated. That last part is probably one of the reasons I want to go into medicine.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But seriously, no, I am not religious and don't believe in a higher power. Show me some concrete evidence and maybe then I'll reconsider. And no, bible quotes don't count.

I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But seriously, no, I am not religious and don't believe in a higher power. Show me some concrete evidence and maybe then I'll reconsider. And no, bible quotes don't count.

I cannot show you, but I can make you feel.

I was raised in a family that can best be described as aspiritual, by which I mean that I don't think my parents ever really stopped to think about religion. Or if they did, they certainly never talked to me about it. They were always focused on more practical considerations. After growing up and learning to think for myself, I've become a full-fledged (and passionate) atheist. Religion never made much sense to me...

My aim in life is to glorify God with all He has blessed me.
As Paul says, "to live is Christ."

Yeah. It's similar to love. Love is illogical, but people still follow it.

Love isn't illogical. It's an evolutionary response that evolved so that we reproduce and stay with our partners, thereby increasing our fitness and that of our offspring. I suppose you could argue that religious feelings are also an evolutionary response; humans feel the need to belong to a group, to have a leader. But at this point in history, it's easy to be rational about religion because all the information to make an informed decision is readily accessible, whereas in the past people only had access to their religious leaders, or at the best, the religious text.

No. Ironically enough, I used to be a "strong" Christian due to my upbringing. Can't really explain what caused me to come to my senses and realize that there are so many discrepancies/inconsistencies with all religions (and lack of one - I am NOT trying to start an argument here) that I could never completely believe in anything.

That being said, I'm still a pretty optimistic dude.

Hey! Don't get it twisted. Love is a beautiful thing.

Oh I'm not. Religion can be beautiful, too. If we look at it from an evolutionary aspect, they are both beneficial and probably lead to children being brought up better. Love will make people do things that seem crazy and outright wrong (in some cultures a person in love is seen similarly to insane, although without the negative connotation). Same with religion.
I didn't mean to say illogical was a bad thing. Just the two are similar.

Love isn't illogical. It's an evolutionary response that evolved so that we reproduce and stay with our partners, thereby increasing our fitness and that of our offspring. I suppose you could argue that religious feelings are also an evolutionary response; humans feel the need to belong to a group, to have a leader. But at this point in history, it's easy to be rational about religion because all the information to make an informed decision is readily accessible, whereas in the past people only had access to their religious leaders, or at the best, the religious text.

Yes, but you have to make an effort to stay with that person in order for your kids to get the full benefit of love between parents. In a similar way, religion has rules that we follow to 1) better or relationship within the family and thus increasing our offspring fitness and 2) better relationships in society. They both help contribute to a better living situation. I guess illogical was not the best word, but they are similar.

Two topics I always avoid; Religion and politics. (Since I see a great deal of linking religion to politics)

With every science class I have taken, pure logic, and experiences, I can't say I believe in a "god". Our text books tell us one thing and our bibles tell of another. Not just one bible, but many bibles. If you believe in a god, what bible/book do you follow? What if you make the wrong choice?

With that being said, when I am scared/hurt/depressed I look forward to a higher power.

I grew up in a Christian family, my parents were both Christian, but we weren't really church goers. My grandma was at church everyday, and now watches EWTN every day/night in the room next to me (yes, I live at home again). I used to identify as a Christian, but as I grew older, I've really thought about it. "Why am I christian?" The only answer I could ever come up with was that it was how I was raised. That's no reason to believe too terribly much in my opinion. By luck of the draw I was christian, not Islamic, now Jewish, ect. That hardly seemed right to me.

As of now, I'm very similar in beliefs to Aiya. I believe in a "god"/greater power/life force thingy. But, not in the traditional sense. I have no clue what awaits after death, but the main way I feel satisfied in life is by helping others.

Everyone is a religion. Religion is a set of beliefs that will influence how you live your life. Atheism is a religion, though maybe atheists don't go to atheist church every Sunday lol

No. I don't believe in anything and I hold myself to a high standard without deluding myself that anybody is looking over my shoulder. If you believe, or feel like you need to believe in order to be a good person, good for you, so long as you don't push it upon other people.

+1 again

-1 again

I cannot show you, but I can make you feel.

I can make you not feel. lol sounds silly huh? So is thinking you could convince someone of your beliefs. You believe whatever you like, and leave anybody who doesn't alone.

I tried to find *God but then I read Nietzsche.

I am very religious; but I am not indoctrinated in religion.
About Nietzsche- I love his works/philosophy as well as Rand's; but I still firmly believe that a presumed dichotomy (one that is un-bridgeable) does not exist. I believe that they both exist seamlessly with one another.

To be fair, the probability is probably 1 whether the statement appears or not :laugh:

But yes, I would consider myself religious--though I'm still growing and trying to understand what it is that I fully believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.