Are you SCORING HIGH 10+?: SCIENCE STRATEGIES NEEDED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zizebrazi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions in improving the physical sciences and biological sciences scores? I keep on getting around 8's? I would like to know if there are any tips or tricks in getting 10+ for science passages please? TIPS TRICKS ADVICE NEEDED! PLEASE!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it really helps to memorize the physics formulas used on the MCAT. You'll be surprised at how they can boost your score. My score increased from around 10 to 13-14 after memorizing formulas. The Examcrackers' books are especially good at highlighting the necessary formulas and how to apply them. I also took the Kaplan course to prepare; Kaplan had useful quicksheets with formulas and important concepts.

I think it really helps to memorize the physics formulas used on the MCAT. You'll be surprised at how they can boost your score. My score increased from around 10 to 13-14 after memorizing formulas. The Examcrackers' books are especially good at highlighting the necessary formulas and how to apply them. I also took the Kaplan course to prepare; Kaplan had useful quicksheets with formulas and important concepts.

+1. It's all about formulas and the algebra.

+2. I scoured my Kaplan book the night before the exam and made up two note cards with formulas, and committeed the few I didn't already know to memory. I'm convinced that alone gave me four or five questions.

There isn't much you can do about BS. Learn, learn learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
For PS do as many practice problem as you can in areas you are weak in. EK 1001 for physics and gen chem help a ton.

Biological sciences is more conceptual. Outline the topics, memorize what you need to, then practice with passages.

May 31ster here. Would it be a good idea to take dozens of pieces of paper and start writing down as man relevant formulas as I need and what they mean?

Note: I did this for the reactions biochemistry(like Kreb's) and it works for me as a memorization tool. Really, like ten tries and I got Kreb's Cycle and all the intermediates down.

May 31ster here. Would it be a good idea to take dozens of pieces of paper and start writing down as man relevant formulas as I need and what they mean?

Note: I did this for the reactions biochemistry(like Kreb's) and it works for me as a memorization tool. Really, like ten tries and I got Kreb's Cycle and all the intermediates down.

I'm a May 31ster also :D, though my weakness is Bio atm because I haven't had the organ system stuff since high school sophomore year and because of the organistry.

Anyway, I learned Kreb's and other biochemistry stuff the same way as you. Do whatever you want to memorize the formulas, that shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

The big thing is being able to mix 'em all together and derive stuff from them. So, if I double a force, and I ask you how much further an object moves (starting from rest) in some time t because of it, you should happily derive:

f = ma
a = f/m
x = v0t+.5at^2
x = .5 f / m t^2

And reply, doubling the force doubles the distance traveled in time t.

PV = nRT is also a great for proportions practice.