are you still waiting for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how many of you are still waiting for an interview notice?

i called those colleges, i am still waiting. mmm. good or bad?

Members don't see this ad.

While it may not be bad, it's definitely not good. I've had two interviews, but I'm still waiting to hear back from another school. I'm guessing I probably won't get in to the other school. In general, most schools tend to interview the candidates they're most interested in towards the beginning of this proccess. I'm not saying you can't get in if you're interviewed late; I'm just saying that it makes it tougher to get in, especially if the school is on rolling admissions.

------------------
Hercules

But there is also a time for sleeping.
-Odysseus in the Odyssey 11.330-331

I've had one interview, have another scheduled in January, and haven't heard squat from the other schools. Guess I better start beefing up for the MCAT again....

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely would not give up hope! I know soooooo many current med students who did not interview at the school they are now attending until February or March.

Of course the whole rolling admissions process prefers earlier everything but TRUST ME, there are a bunch of people out there who were in your shoes last year and are now at the med school they least expected to be in.

GOOD LUCK!
smile.gif

Well, I finally received my first rejection today from U Washington. Totally expected, of course, since my MCAT scores arrived AFTER their deadline for secondaries...didn't even have a fighting chance! Oh well, it's a top-school (and I'm out-of-state)and my MCAT (28) probably would have gotten me booted anyway!

I'm still excited about my other schools...I just wish I could have gotten more feedback by now! I am REALLY not looking forward to taking the MCAT for a 3rd time in 6 months!!!
smile.gif

Good luck everyone!

Hey, Youngjock, what did the schools tell you when you called? Did they just say your file is still in review? Did they say anything else?

I am personally waiting on a nubmer of schools as well. Yes, it's not over till the fat lady sings, but I can feel how my chances are thinning day by day.

I called Wake Forest today and found out something interesting. They have four interview pools, and they are currently interviewing the first pool. If you have applied to Wake, it may be your worthwhile to give them a call and see where you are placed. On the same note, does anybody know anyone rejected by Wake without interview yet? I wonder if everybody gets divided up into the pool tier system till Wake sends out mass rejections in May.

And how about this? For those that are interested, why don't we list the schools that we have not heard from yet? It may be encouraging to know that there are many others who have not heard from a particular school, either.

Well, I guess I will start:

MCW
MCV/VCU
Temple
MCPHU
Jefferson
Finch
Loyola
Wake Forest
Dartmouth

Hey, if you have any info on the above, please share
smile.gif

I too have not heard from:

MCP Hahn.
Temple
Jefferson

in addition:
BU
NY Med
Chicago Med
Howard (no secondary either)
Wright State

From the above lists, I have also not heard from:

MCW
Temple
MCPHU (called; I am "on hold" till Jan. for further review)
Loyola (ditto)
BU

Also waiting for possible interviews from:
Rush (on hold till Jan.)
Emory
Oregon HSU (said they won't review out-of-state until Jan.)

...among others. Have had 2 interviews, 1 pending, and 1 acceptance so far. Good luck to all.

Guess I'll throw my info into the mix for anyone interested.

Heard nothing after sending secondaries to:
BU
Tufts
U. MD
U. Mich
Northwestern
U. Penn
U. Rochester

Rejected after secondaries:
UVM
GWU
Case Western

Interviewed and waitlisted:
U. Conn
Albany

Interviewed and waiting for decision:
Dartmouth
Pitt

Thanks for the info on Oregon. I am also applying there out of state and haven't heard anything. Other schools that have been silent so far are: U Penn, Harvard, Loyola, and UCLA.

Interviewed at eleven other schools, though, including Rochester, Case, Pitt, Jefferson, and Hahnemann. Have cancelled interviews at SLU, Temple, and Einstein. Accepted at five schools. Rejected by UCSF (out of state) and Stanford.

I have not heard from:

Georgetown
Loyola
Tufts
USC
Finch
Boston U
Mount Sinai
Jefferson
UPENN
Temple
UV
Medical College of Wisconsin

If people could post whether they took the August or April MCAT that would be helpful too.

I took the August MCAT, am a California Resident, and haven't heard from these schools that I have sent secondaries to:

All the UCs
USC
Dartmouth
Harvard
Stanford
U Penn
George Washington
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Boston
Tufts
OHSU
Cornell
Duke
Loyola
Northwestern
Emory
Hopkins

But I do have interviews scheduled at 8 schools.

[This message has been edited by lizard (edited 12-19-2000).]

Gathering from all the lists of schools so far, I can kinda see which schools have been inviting people for interviews, but simply haven't gotten around sending rejection letters yet (Meanies!!). Schools that fall in this category are:

MCPHU
MCW
Temple
Jefferson
Chicago Med
Wake Forest
Loyola
BU
Tufts
MCV/VCU
New York Med

I have yet to hear ANYONE rejected from these schools after secondary w/o interview. The harsh truth is that if you have not heard from these schools yet, it may not necessarily mean that they are still considering you (ouch!). Of course, it varies a little depending on your stats and when you applied, so don't lose hope.

However, if you applied in timely manner and still have not been axed from these following schools, chances are you are still in game. I know that these schools have been sending rejection letters to people pretty consistently.

Albany
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Case Western
Duke
Dartmouth
Pitts
UVM

[This message has been edited by Riesling (edited 12-19-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received a rejection letter from Rochester yesterday so you can take them off of your list.

shucks

I took the August MCAT. I haven't heard from MCW. I interviewed at UW-Madison and am waiting to hear from them. Has anyone else interviewed there? If so, how long before they gave you an answer? They told me I would hear from them within 2 weeks, and it's been a little over 2 weeks now. My application was complete at MCW before UW, so my chances at MCW aren't looking too good huh?

Originally posted by Riesling:
On the same note, does anybody know anyone rejected by Wake without interview yet? I wonder if everybody gets divided up into the pool tier system till Wake sends out mass rejections in May.
smile.gif

I guess I'll stick my neck out and admit that I was rejected by Wake without a secondary. I received the letter in July. Two days later, U of Vermont called me for my first interview invite, so go figure! My numbers are slightly above Wake's average, so a numbers cut wasn't the reason for the early rejection. Anyway, I hope this makes those of you with interview invites and secondaries from Wake feel more special and energized
smile.gif

I'll list the MD schools that I heard from here:

MSUCHM - int. invite for Jan, turned it down.
Wayne State - int. (11/1) waitlist (11/16)
Vermont - int. (9/14) haven't heard anything!
Penn State - "hold for int." Sept,Oct,Nov,...(They send you a letter every month if you are in this category)

I withdrew my application from all schools when I was accepted to the one I wanted (UNECOM), so I won't know what Penn State's hold letter really meant. I left my apps in at Wayne and Vermont, so when I hear from them I'll post again.

[This message has been edited by Doc Oc (edited 12-19-2000).]

To add some info to my above post that may be helpful to some: I took the August MCAT and applied to:

EVMS
Meharry
UCONN
Tufts
BU
UVM
NY Med
Chicago Med
Wright State
Howard
Jefferson
Temple
MCP Hahnemann

I was rejected w/o secondary from EVMS. I was then rejected from UVM in November. I interviewed at Meharry in the beginning of November and have been informed that I am in the acceptance range, whatever that means. I interviewed at UCONN in Mid november (on my b-day, if that isn't good luck, what is?) and am awaiting their decision. I have an upcoming interview at Tufts on January 2nd. I thought people would want to know that Tufts is still very early in their interview game, so have hope all. They have just started their winter interview (they have fall, winter, and spring) and they only interview once in december. I received an invitation at the end of November, and I couldn't get an open date until January, since they interview infrequently, and 40 people at a time. Hope this helps someone...

By the way, UCLA has started interviewing, and has started sending out rejection notices, post-secondary. I still haven't heard from them, so I guess no news is good news for now?

Ok, I haven't heard from:

Harvard
Cornell
U.Penn
JohnsHopkins
Baylor
Tufts
Washington University

I took the April MCAT and had most applications in by July and August.

I have had interviews at the rest and been accepted to my first choice so I don't much care about these.

Hi Everyone, thought I would add to the list. I am glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

I am still waiting to hear from:
Oregon
Emory
Harvard
Tufts
NYU
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Yale
BU

rejected by Stanford this week...oh well

and I have had three great interviews at Rochester(wait listed), Einstein and the U. of Utah.

Good luck to all and happy holidays...

Okay, I was an April MCATer, and here's my application status (by the way, I'm also a CA resident:

Interviewed:
Baylor (9/20)
UCSD (11/1)
Tulane (11/6) -- accepted 11/27
UC-Davis (11/30)

I also have one scheduled for U. of Oklahoma (1/17), but I'm planning to cancel and withdraw my app.

On Hold:
UCSF

Haven't heard from:
UCLA
Northwestern
Harvard
Yale
Wash. U

I'm not really holding my breath for the bottom three, but I'm sort of hopeful about the top 2 (esp. UCLA). I think Harvard sends out rejections all at once in the spring, but I have no idea about Northwestern, Yale, or Wash. U. By the way, does anyone know how quickly Baylor's class fills up? It's just killing me that I still haven't heard from them, and I know of several people who interviewed later than I did, and have already gotten in.

lilycat,
I had an interview at Washu on 11/9, so I might be able to answer questions you have about them. Just e-mail me if you're interested.

------------------
Hercules

So far...

Rejected (after secondary) from Case Western.

Interviewed at USUHS on 11/30...haven't heard back yet.

Granted an interview at LECOM in December...I postponed 'till January.

Haven't heard from the following:

USF
Miami
FSU
UVM
MCPHU
Wright State
OU-COM

------------------
"Some people follow their dreams, Others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission. " --- Neil Kendall

OK, i have some that are different, but reading so many i am just going to shout offf everything that has happened to me. here goes...

Interviewed with and Accepted:
UMass
Georgetown

St. Louis Univ

Interviewd and waiting:
Indiana

Interviews Scheduled this month:
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
(wow, three T's. pretty crazy **** there. )

Flat out Rejected From:
GW
Dartmouth

Still haven't heard squat from since secondaries:
Harvard
UPenn
BU
Albany
Wake Forest
Emory
Loyola
Northwestern

Now my school doesn't forward mail (go figure, i don't understand that) so i'm on hold for a month.

August MCAT

interviews scheduled with:

Jefferson
Temple

still waiting on:

UPENN
BU
MCPHU

I wish I had applied to more schools like some of you guys!

I posted once before, but I didn't include the names of the schools that I have interviews. So if it helps anyone, here goes:

Wash U
Yale
U Chicago
U Mich
Case Western
NYU
Columbia
Vanderbilt

I noticed a lot of BU applicants. I have a friend who applied there and never heard from them--not even a rejection letter. In gest, he said he thought the school was running some kind of scam, asking for a $95 check as a secondary.

My two cents:

CA Resident

I took the August MCAT a year ago, and most of my files were complete in early November (letter of rec issues held me up)
frown.gif

Interviewed and (informally) Accepted:
U. Pitt

Interviewed and Waiting:
Columbia

Interviews Scheduled:
Harvard
Dartmouth
UC-San Diego

On Hold for Interview:
UC-Irvine

Still waiting to hear about Interviews:
UCLA
UC-Davis
Georgetown
Johns Hopkins
Boston U
Cornell
Einstein
New York Med
NYU
U Penn

Schools that still haven't acknowledged that my app is complete (grrr):
UCSF
Stanford
George Washington
Duke

How can you be "informally" accepted at Pitt since their admissions committee doesn't meet until Feb?

OK, might as well submit mine too..

Rejected w/o interview:
Dartmouth, U Chicago, Einstein, Pitt, Nebraska, Albany.

Penn State

Interviewed and waiting for decision:
MCPHU (interviewed in Nov.)
NYMC (interviewed 2 weeks ago)

Interview upcoming in January:
Tufts

No word:
VCU (interested in my candidacy, waiting to see if they can schedule me, very ambigous message)
Maryland (my state school)
Jefferson
Emory
BU
UVM
GWU
G-town (they lost a letter of rec. that I have to have the writer resend
frown.gif
)
Temple
SLU
Loyola
Finch/CMS

August MCAT

-UNC
Just got word for a January interview

-ECU
-Wake Forest
Still waiting

Something I'm noticing in these posts is that a lot of folks are being rejected from public schools as (it appears) out-of-state residents... for those of you who haven't begun the application process, it's worth a look at the MSAR application-to-acceptance stats for out of state applicants when choosing to apply to public schools (and even some private schools confer priority status to state residents). For instance, as a CA resident, I didn't bother applying to U-Washington or Oregon HSU, since it pretty much takes an act of God to get in there as an out of stater (and I didn't have act-of-God stats
wink.gif
). Good luck to all--the waiting game is truly heinous.

August MCAT

Applied to Arkansas and Tennessee at Memphis

Interviewed at AR

Haven't heard from TN, but have heard of several others receiving rejections.

accepted-U MD, Georgetown, GWU
Interviewed-Columbia, Penn,NYU,Cornell,Yale
Interviews scheduled-Mt Sinai,Einstein
No word-Harvard,Tufts(letters fell in the big dig?)
April MCAT
Happy Holidays to All

I never actually listed my schools, so here they are:

Interviews:
UAB (9/28)--accepted 10/16
WashU (11/9)--no word

Rejected w/o Interview:
Duke

No word after secondary:
Hopkins

Oh yeah, I was an April MCAT, and I sent the AMCAS stuff in around the end of July.

------------------
Hercules

Revised list.

Interview invites:

BU
Jefferson
Temple
MCP

still waiting on:

UPENN

I guess I'll join the list!

Interviewed and Accepted:
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Syracuse
University of Rochester
Mount Sinai

Interviewed and waiting:
Baylor
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
UCSF
Albert Einstein
Duke

No word so far:
Harvard
UPenn
UCLA
Stanford

I'm a New York State resident. I took the April MCAT and handed in my AMCAS in mid June. All my secondaries were completed by mid-September, and interviewed from September to December

Good luck everybody!!
smile.gif

Hey, mhering...

I guess your MCP interview is pretty recent, right? when did you get the stuff in the mail? Hey, congrats!

August MCAT

Rejected w/o secondary:
Mayo
Northwestern

Interviews scheduled:
Einstein
Vanderbilt
Michigan
Columbia
Mt Sinai
CWRU

Haven't heard from:
NYU
UCSF (no secondary so far)
U Chicago
Cornell
Dartmouth
Hopkins
OHSU (in-state)
Rochester
University of South Dakota (strong ties)
Yale

Most of my secondaries were complete in late October. When I got the rejection from Northwestern before I even had my MCAT scores, I didn't want to send anything in until I knew that I had a decent score. In the end, my score was fine; I will definitely be calling Northwestern when the interview season is over to find out why I was rejected.

Originally posted by Riesling:
Hey, mhering...

I guess your MCP interview is pretty recent, right? when did you get the stuff in the mail? Hey, congrats!

Yup, I got my MCP invite less than a week ago. Are you hoping to go there? It really is a wonderful school, even with its pretty awful financial problems. My best friend is a PBL student there, and she loves it.

By the way, I had called them to ask about an interview. I'm glad I did, because they believed (incorrectly) that my file was incomplete. I've heard that they are very behind and disorganized over there (just a rumor).

Well, here's my status:

-August MCAT

-Rejected w/o secondary:
Northwestern, Univ. of Washington

-Interview and accept:
Case Western
biggrin.gif

-Interview and still waiting:
U of Minn., GWU

-Interviews in 2001:
U of Chicago, Rush, U of Mich., Temple, U of Cinn., MCP Hahnemann

-No word yet:
Emory, UCSF (post secondary), Loma Linda, Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, JHU, UMAB (state school!), U of Pittsburgh, UNC, Baylor

-Incomplete secondary:
Tufts

P.S. Isn't your state school supposed to be your best shot??? Do you think it's worth it to send in the Tufts secondary, or is it already too late (they have a deadline of 2/1 or something)?

Anyway, best of luck to everyone to getting more interviews and subsequent acceptances, and I hope everyone has a great New Year!

VAD
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by VAD (edited 12-26-2000).]

Originally posted by mehring:
Yup, I got my MCP invite less than a week ago. Are you hoping to go there?
By the way, I had called them to ask about an interview.

Did MCP tell you that you had an interview coming up when you called? I called them last week and the admissions office lady told me my file is still in review. Am I hoping to go to MCP? Heck, I'd love to go to any school at this point. I just got axed by Dartmouth today
frown.gif
When is your MCP interview?

caffeinegirl,

When did you interview at UCSF? I interviewed Oct. 23 and have not heard from them. Obviously I missed the first round of acceptances (which were sent out around Dec. 15th).

I'm a bit nervous! I'm dreading being waitlisted! It's so uncertain...

In the same boat as you Cobragirl!! Guess we will suffer together for the next few months. I guess it is better to study now, then to see rejection letters and then really be depressed. All I know is June 1st is the way for me this time!!

Best wishes!!

Where is your first choice? Congrats!!

Hi Jimi
I interviewed with UCSF on Dec. 11 (it was a Monday). In the folder they give you it says that it takes around 8 weeks for them to get back to you. Don't despair! You never know what the new year can bring
smile.gif

PS: Another addition to my list: NYU accepted me yesterday!!! woohoooo

VAD,

When did you interview at U of MN?

VAD,
I am also a Maryland resident who has not heard a thing from UMAB. Basically, unless you are a URM from in-state and/or have very high stats from a prestigious school (with April MCAT scores); you can expect to be put on hold for an interview or outright rejected from UMAB. UMAB has sent out 2 batches of rejections so far though, so apparently we are still under consideration and have a chance. Also, if you are interested in Tufts I would return the secondary; I will be interviewing there in January and it seems like a great school..

An update to my original list -- just got contacted by Wash U. (one of my *long shots*) for an interview. And then there were 5 left...

By the way Hercules, if you don't mind, I think I will take you up on your offer for info. now...
wink.gif

Originally posted by ntxawmx:
VAD,

When did you interview at U of MN?

I interviewed the first week of December. Still no word, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It would be a great option for me and my family. Did you interview there? If so, what did you think? I really liked the students who seemed to be quite happy with the school and the administration. The student population was fairly homogenous and friendly. Is it one of your top choices (I see you're from MN)?

Best of luck to you in the admissions process!

VAD
smile.gif

Ok...all this waiting around at the mailbox is driving me crazy. This is the first year I've thought of the holidays as a deterrant (no mail on 12/25....hah!)

So I might as well join in...here's my status:

Rejected:
Mayo

Waitlisted:
Stanford

Accepted:
GW
Georgetown
Dartmouth/Brown
USC
UCI
Hopkins

Interviewed and waiting:
Einstein
New York Med.
Cornell
Harvard
Yale
Vanderbilt
Duke
UCSF
UCLA

Granted interviews but will not go (just can't bear to get on another plane!!!):
BU
Wash U.
Penn State
U Penn
Mt. Sinai
UC Davis

Anyway...January's around the corner...hopefully bearing good news for all of us!

Happy New Year!!