Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

are you sure....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ComplexPuzzle, Nov 26, 2002.

1. ComplexPuzzle

ComplexPuzzle shakin dat a**
    7+ Year Member

so do you ever wake up and think WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING. suddenly being a doctor is simply the worst idea you have ever had. i mean all the work, effort and jumping through thousands of hoops only to be overworked and sometimes underappreciated. i think about it and i realize i hate work, i hate long hours, i hate having to sacrifice my immediate wants and desires. in that moment, every job in the world looks more enticing than being a doctor. my friends and family don't get it. they think being a doctor is the coolest thing ever and that is even cooler that that is what i want to be. but sometimes i think i made a bad choice and should have focused on music or philosophy my other loves. who let me make the decisioins for my life. however did made a big mistake. i guess you could consider this my panic attack although it usually occurs for hours and days at a time. but the attack always magically subsides. i'll be watching something or talking to someone and the passion and drive comes back. i realize being a doctor is all i really want. so much so that i am willing to sacrifice and endure somethings i don't enjoy just to realize this dream. then my world is as it should be. but you gotta hate those damn panic attacks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sure do.

Especially when they come right before taking the MCAT. ;)

:laugh:

4. abw

abw Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey! I'm so glad to hear someone else thinks like that! I really think every day about all the sacrifices (family esp.) that being a doctor entails and how you really give your life to a lot of people who take all your hard work and effort for granted (sorry for the pessimism, there's been a 2 week thing on the news here about how bad doctors are and why you should sue them/not pay them). From the beginning, my dad has saved a financial planning job for me, and i would be making nice money along with all my friends right now. He calls me occasionally to tell me he's done with work for the day and asks if i'm "still" studying and why i don't want an easy life like him. After all of the negatives though, i can never talk myself out of it. It's just what i want to do and what i believe is meant for me to do. God help me through it, but I really wouldn't enjoy anything else.

5. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ever since getting accepted, I've been going through the whole "yes, I'm gonna be a doctor!" to "oh ****, I'm gonna be a doctor!" thing. But, I spend a half day/week in a clinic, where I get to see WHY I want to be in medicine, and I feel very happy to be going into medicine.