are you worried about getting infected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipotrader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
honestly, sometimes I freaked out, I think it is difficult to NOT get infected in a hospital setting. I wish there is a way to visualize the virus by the naked eye. I think it is getting more dangerous now that the country is opening up, and the numbers of new infection are increasing daily by roughly 30k.

I think it is really a matter of time that most of us will get infected. The REAL question is whether the infection will grant us the immunity and for how long. As long as the immunity can last for a while, say more than 5 years, then we should just live our normal live, get infected if it happens, and get over with it.

But if the infection does not always generate enough neutralizing antibody or the antibody last only couple weeks, then the things will really get messy, and I will definitely will not want to be infected.

Now since we had so many people get infected and recovered, I don't know why we still do not have the answer to this question. I suspect the antibody will NOT last long, and re-infection is common.

your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

”They found no antibodies or long-lived memory B cells, but they did find memory T cells.

Because doctors managed to stop the SARS outbreak after about 8,000 cases, there’s never been a chance for anyone to get infected a second time, but those T cells could be a sign of ongoing immunity. A later vaccine study in mice found that memory T cells protected the animals from the worst effects when scientists tried infecting them again with SARS.”

I hope someone soon will come up with a convincing genome wide association study to pin point the genetic factors that determine the severity of the disease after the COVID-19 infection.

From what I read so far, I don't believe there will be a long lasting immunity, whether B or T cell, after the infection. Therefore the whole herd immunity or immunity passport scheme will not work, neither does the vaccine.

What will likely work is scan people for the genetic variation that renders the protection. We identify the subset of population that will either be asymptomatic or only developing mild flu like symptom after the infection, and issue immunity passports to them. And we protect the genetically vulnerable population by asking them to stay at home.

There will be a huge workload for molecular genetic pathology folks if we end up scanning almost the entire population for genetic factors that render the protection to COVID-19, if we can find those factors. And I think that's probably the only way out of this pandemic.

Members don't see this ad :)
What leads you to believe there are genetic factors determining severity?

A recents study about antibody production after infection suggests a genetic link to non-antibody production. "Two patients, a mother and daughter, maintained IgG- and IgM-negative status during hospitalization. "

What leads you to believe there are genetic factors determining severity?
well, some people are asymptomatic after the infection, and there seems to be family clusters for those patients who are severe enough and needs to be hospitalized as well.

Reactions: 1 user
honestly, sometimes I freaked out, I think it is difficult to NOT get infected in a hospital setting. I wish there is a way to visualize the virus by the naked eye. I think it is getting more dangerous now that the country is opening up, and the numbers of new infection are increasing daily by roughly 30k.

I think it is really a matter of time that most of us will get infected. The REAL question is whether the infection will grant us the immunity and for how long. As long as the immunity can last for a while, say more than 5 years, then we should just live our normal live, get infected if it happens, and get over with it.

But if the infection does not always generate enough neutralizing antibody or the antibody last only couple weeks, then the things will really get messy, and I will definitely will not want to be infected.

Now since we had so many people get infected and recovered, I don't know why we still do not have the answer to this question. I suspect the antibody will NOT last long, and re-infection is common.

your thoughts?

I'm wearing my n95 to work for the foreseeable future. I'd rather not get infected and deal with the possible chronic lung issues or passing it around to my >60 yo technologists. I'm on a personal lockdown until state cases are zero for a month or a vaccine comes out.

I'm wearing my n95 to work for the foreseeable future. I'd rather not get infected and deal with the possible chronic lung issues or passing it around to my >60 yo technologists. I'm on a personal lockdown until state cases are zero for a month or a vaccine comes out.

If you stick to your stated criteria for ending personal lockdown, you probably will be under "lockdown" for another 2-3 years, and that's provided that the vaccine will work.

Same plan here as well.

I don't fear infection. I was actively trying to get infected in April when my work was nil. Not sure if I succeeded.

I don't fear infection. I was actively trying to get infected in April when my work was nil. Not sure if I succeeded.

Did you lick the hand hanger straps and the poles on the NYC subway? That should be pretty hi yield.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My IgG came back negative despite a fairly extensive travel history in November/December (6 countries/4 continents). If antibodies are the difference between me traveling and not traveling, then I would prefer to be infected as I am in my early 40s with zero health issues.

I wear my mask at the hospital when I'm outside my office, but I take it off when working alone in my office.

If you stick to your stated criteria for ending personal lockdown, you probably will be under "lockdown" for another 2-3 years, and that's provided that the vaccine will work.

I'm okay with that.

Just being a pathologist will cause chronic lung issues working around formalin and xylene during your career.

I've seen quite a few histotechs and pathologists get neurological diseases over the years. I worry more about that than cancer. Also, seen a ton of pathologists die of blood clots. Nearly walked with Jesus myself many years ago from blood clots.

Bottom line: worry more about the hazards of your job than damage from covid-19.

I wish someone would get some data on the hazards of this field. The fumes, the sedentary nature of the work. We joke about the 85 years olds still practicing but I have seen a fair number die before their time.

Im gonna one up everyone: I got a K9 security dog to attack all outsiders not carrying Amazon packages, sign out all my cases from home in a full face PAPR and only interact with my spouse with a full size body condom.

I intend to be last pathologist left alive, that is how I win.

5b6.jpg