Are your chances of getting into dental school significantly lower when applying in August?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krysp1243

Reaction score
Hi! I feel like this question has been asked a lot on here so I apologize for asking again. However, I want to know if others have been in the same situation as me!

I have completed (but have not yet submitted) my application for dental school. I am waiting to submit it until I take my DAT in 2 days, as I do not want to waste my money if by chance I do not receive a good enough score. I have a 3.6 GPA, and a 3.4 science GPA. I have great letters of recommendation as well as plenty of volunteer and research experience. I have also worked as a dental assistant for a few years now.

I know that no one can really give me a direct answer as to whether or not my chances are good. I am really just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat as me (applying early August) and received a good amount of interviews? I know that the application can take roughly 4-6 weeks to be processed, so I am worried since that basically means schools will not receive it until September.

Is it even worth spending the money and trying to get accepted this round?

Members don't see this ad.

How's your DAT? This cycle is different so I'd say you still have a very good chance. Just go ahead and apply as soon as you can. Be able to explain things that hinder you from applying early and you should be golden.

How's your DAT? This cycle is different so I'd say you still have a very good chance. Just go ahead and apply as soon as you can. Be able to explain things that hinder you from applying early and you should be golden.
I have not yet taken the DAT, I am taking it in 2 days! I have been taking many practice exams and have received 20-22AA on most of them. I am just not sure how well I will perform on the actual DAT so I am a little nervous to submit my application before taking it.
Also, when you said "Be able to explain things that hinder you from applying early..", where do you suggest explaining this on the application? Thank you!

I know that no one can really give me a direct answer as to whether or not my chances are good. I am really just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat as me (applying early August) and received a good amount of interviews? I know that the application can take roughly 4-6 weeks to be processed, so I am worried since that basically means schools will not receive it until September.

Is it even worth spending the money and trying to get accepted this round?
I did this 3 years ago :ninja: I took my DAT early August and didn't submit until the end of August, and worked on most of my secondaries from September all the way til October. Still got like 8 out of 13 interviews, went to 4, got accepted into all 4 (two were pre-Dec interviews & acceptances, the other two were post-Dec). Either way, got into my dream school Dec 1st and here I am :) As long as you score well and the rest of your application is solid, you should be a little better than I was due to covid delaying a lot of things for a lot of people this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users