Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Area of Pharmacy Which Closely Deals with Infection?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Doktor_dud3, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Doktor_dud3

Doktor_dud3 CPhT, Pre-Pharmacy

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello again everyone!

I am in the process of changing my course of study at Wingate to Pre-Pharmacy before I enroll this fall, and I had some questions about specific areas of pharmacy. I currently work as a technician in an independent pharmacy in a very small town, and while I enjoy it, I was thinking about where I may want to work in the future. Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but is there a chance of working as a pharmacist in areas which commonly treat infections? I was doing some reading about anti-virals and antibiotics and I just seem to find the process of combating infection really interesting. I know in medicine there are infectious disease physicians, is there anything similar that a pharmacist could do? As I said I'm really more interesting in the medication side of treating infections. Sorry for the really specific question, and thanks for any help you can provide.

Dd3

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Apothecary Aquinas

Medical Student
    I'm no expert on the "pharmacist's path" but I'd say I do know enough to help you out a bit even if I can't fully answer your question. So the short answer is yes, there are definitely infectious disease (ID) pharmacists that go through a PGY2 ASHP accredited residency after pharmacy school. Basically, in order to be specialized as an ID pharmacist you complete pharmacy school and then enter into a residency that allows you to specialize. The ID residencies are PGY2 meaning its a second post-grad year residency, so you must complete a general clinical post-grad year first (PGY1) then you can apply to and enter the second year ID residency (or find a combined PGY1 and PGY2 ID residency, if they exist). After that you'll be fully qualified to work as an ID pharmacist.

I shadowed an ID physician in a hospital once and he served on an "ID and antibiotics advisory board" of sorts for the hospital. He regularly met with and collaborated with an ID pharmacist who was also a member of said board. That being said, as an ID pharmacist you'll act as a member of a healthcare team (at least in a hospital setting) to help treat patients with antibiotics and treat infectious disease in a variety of patients. Chances are you would be sought after for consultation when antibiotic treatments were created for less than routine cases also.

A simple google search for 'infectious disease pharmacist' will bring up a lot of resources to look through as well.

lalaland33 likes this.
  4. SpartanDOnoharm

Pharmacist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student, Pharmacist, Medical Student (Accepted)
    Many hospitals have antimicrobial stewardship pharmacists. These are normally at least PGY1 residency trained, many hospitals have a PGY2 trained pharmacist. It's a cool job, ours basically spends the entire day with the ID physician.