Areas of Eating Disorder Research (that need more attention)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ceke2002

Purveyor of Strange
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Checking through my BA Psyc curriculum (yes, I'm not longer 'just a patient' on these forums ;)) I will eventually be doing a major research based psychology project. It just got me thinking, from a Psychiatric (bio, psycho, and/or socio) point of view when it comes to eating disorders research in particular, in what areas do you think research is perhaps lacking (eg patient populations, effective treatment modalities, neurological underpinnings, genetics, early detection methods, etc)? :bookworm:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Checking through my BA Psyc curriculum (yes, I'm not longer 'just a patient' on these forums ;)) I will eventually be doing a major research based psychology project. It just got me thinking, from a Psychiatric (bio, psycho, and/or socio) point of view when it comes to eating disorders research in particular, in what areas do you think research is perhaps lacking (eg patient populations, effective treatment modalities, neurological underpinnings, genetics, early detection methods, etc)? :bookworm:
All of the above.

Reactions: 2 users
All of the above.

So research in general is lacking. I thought there'd been a push towards brain imaging and genetic studies over the past few years at least, is the research then perhaps a bit two one-sided at the moment (more biological and genetical focus rather than psycho-socio aspects?). The one trend in eating disorder research that I have noticed is an almost complete lack of any meaningful research into the chronic ED patient populations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, we can make an argument that the research is lacking for any particular subject, but there is still quite a bit out there for EDs. Have you checked out any of the work from Ruth Striegel-Moore/Weissman, Chris Fairburn, Pam Keel, or Klump? Here's a following review article from a few of my former classmates and clinical supervisor.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcpp.12441/full

Reactions: 1 users
I mean, we can make an argument that the research is lacking for any particular subject, but there is still quite a bit out there for EDs. Have you checked out any of the work from Ruth Striegel-Moore/Weissman, Chris Fairburn, Pam Keel, or Klump? Here's a following review article from a few of my former classmates and clinical supervisor.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcpp.12441/full

Thank you, I'll see if I have that access to some of the other works/authors you listed as well. I did read one of the books that Ruth Striegel-Moore co-authored a while back, "The Developmental Psychopathology of Eating Disorders", apart from that mostly work by Walter Kaye and Janet Treasure (and of course the more classic literature on Eating Disorders from Hilde Bruch). Until just recently I was limited with what I could access, which has meant I haven't been able to read as much as I would have liked - of course that's changed now. Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated. :)