Areas where DOs are well-known?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by KDocGirl, Oct 31, 2001.

1. KDocGirl

KDocGirl Senior Member

I just got accepted to some DO schools. Although I am excited about getting started, I am a bit worried about becoming a DO and patients not knowing what a DO is. This is probably because I am from the west coast, where DOs are not heard of too often. Which states or areas around the country are DOs pretty prominent?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BADunning

BADunning Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From all I read and hear, Michigan is the most D.O. friendly state.

4. Ohiobuddhist

Ohiobuddhist Member

Ohio and West Virginia are pretty DO friendly. Ohio has a lot of them, but WV has ridiculous malpractice for MD and DO physicians, so I wouldn't look toward practicing there unless they fix their system. :p

5. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair

Anywhere you find rural communities, for the most part. Obviously, Missouri (the founding state) is not only DO friendly, but often DO-demanding! Oklahoma and Arkansas both offer good opportunies, also. I think you'll start to see a trend that DOs are most accepted in pockets around the country with DO schools at the epicenter. The influence radiates outward, but it usually takes a few years to see the effect.

6. Smokey223

Smokey223 Member

savvy-congrats on your acceptances! :) I currently work at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Pennsylvania. This hospital is almost 50% DO's which is a huge contrast to when I worked in Albany, NY. In the community itself, almost every family practice office is run by DO's. Lehigh Valley is about 50 minutes north of PCOM, so I believe that areas near DO schools and states with DO schools will be more DO friendly. That's just my opinion.