1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Areas where DOs are well-known?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by KDocGirl, Oct 31, 2001.

1. KDocGirl

KDocGirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got accepted to some DO schools. Although I am excited about getting started, I am a bit worried about becoming a DO and patients not knowing what a DO is. This is probably because I am from the west coast, where DOs are not heard of too often. Which states or areas around the country are DOs pretty prominent?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BADunning

BADunning Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    From all I read and hear, Michigan is the most D.O. friendly state.

4. Ohiobuddhist

Ohiobuddhist Member
    7+ Year Member

Ohio and West Virginia are pretty DO friendly. Ohio has a lot of them, but WV has ridiculous malpractice for MD and DO physicians, so I wouldn't look toward practicing there unless they fix their system. :p

5. John DO

John DO A.T. Still Endowed Chair
    7+ Year Member

Anywhere you find rural communities, for the most part. Obviously, Missouri (the founding state) is not only DO friendly, but often DO-demanding! Oklahoma and Arkansas both offer good opportunies, also. I think you'll start to see a trend that DOs are most accepted in pockets around the country with DO schools at the epicenter. The influence radiates outward, but it usually takes a few years to see the effect.

6. Smokey223

Smokey223 Member
    7+ Year Member

savvy-congrats on your acceptances! :) I currently work at Lehigh Valley Hospital in Pennsylvania. This hospital is almost 50% DO's which is a huge contrast to when I worked in Albany, NY. In the community itself, almost every family practice office is run by DO's. Lehigh Valley is about 50 minutes north of PCOM, so I believe that areas near DO schools and states with DO schools will be more DO friendly. That's just my opinion.