ARGH it's o-chem, you insolent fools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeventhSon

SIMMER DOWN
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
west coast is the best coast.

Members don't see this ad.

y'all are just haters who are jealous of our illin', non-earthquakin' east coast way of life.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orgo yo. Orgo.

O-chem sounds like the conforming introvert who can't handle a unique moniker, and would rather hang with his generic friends: gen-chem and p-chem.

Who says gen-chem? Why include an intake on the first syllable when you don't have to? It's g-chem.

Rafa said:
Who says gen-chem? Why include an intake on the first syllable when you don't have to? It's g-chem.

That's what I often heard/said at KU.

Need you really ask that? Because gen-chem has rhythm, g-chem does not.

An intake?

i have to agree, the west cost is the ****, and so is ochem

I think it's school based..Penn State says "o-chem"

We've already discussed this topic, and the thread grew to be quite large. Go find it.

I called it Orgasmic Chemistry

Members don't see this ad :)
gen-chem, orgo, and pchem. ochem just makes you sound like a tool. it's ok though. at least you're not as big of a tool as those schools that say organic.

Lissen up peeps on the "Wrong" Coast, this here **** is called "o-chem", get with it son. Peace.

Someone asked me last year how I did when I took orgo. I had no clue what the hell he was talking about. After he stumbled to try and describe orgo, I said "Oh wait, you mean O-chem? Oh, I did pretty well!"

O-chem, my babies, O-chem!

SeventhSon said:
west coast is the best coast.

damn straight! west coast (of lake michigan) :thumbup:

west coast is the ****! So is o-chem! :D and come on peeps, at least "o-chem" makes sense derived from "organic chemistry", "orgo"... come on, now where the hell did that come from?!?!? :confused:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-chem!!!! :D

:thumbup: The University of California, Santa Barbara, says: "O-CHEM!"

Oh, and if any of you have the Ochem book by Bruice, she teaches there. I took her class. Scathingly hard class.

yup. west coast is where it goes down. sorry but east coast is straight up boring

OwnageMobile said:
That's what I often heard/said at KU.

Need you really ask that? Because gen-chem has rhythm, g-chem does not.

An intake?

Heyy, lol, I'm a gen-chem teaching assistant at KU...

Next time dr. black uses the phrase "gen-chem", I'm so going to say "dude, it's g-chem now. come on". I wonder if he'd laugh or fire me...

if you wre to study the words "organic chemistry" very carefully you would notice that there is not a single "o" appearing anywhere after the "org". Therefore if you say orgo you are making #$%^ up.

SeventhSon said:
if you wre to study the words "organic chemistry" very carefully you would notice that there is not a single "o" appearing anywhere after the "org". Therefore if you say orgo you are making #$%^ up.

To end all the bickering, we will create a new name! It will henceforth be called.... ORGAMISTRY!

RDickerson said:
To end all the bickering, we will create a new name! It will henceforth be called.... ORGAMISTRY!

The Fornication of Carbon-Based Molecules.

jbrice1639 said:
The Fornication of Carbon-Based Molecules.

:laugh:

Well, it would make the topic a bit more interesting.

RDickerson said:
:laugh:

Well, it would make the topic a bit more interesting.

the hydrocarbon tail slides ever so delicately into the open center of the benzene ring....then retreats...only to enter again, slightly further...

:barf:

jackieMD2007 said:
:thumbup: The University of California, Santa Barbara, says: "O-CHEM!"

Oh, and if any of you have the Ochem book by Bruice, she teaches there. I took her class. Scathingly hard class.

Bruice...*shudders*... did she give you her lecture about the graduate O-chem classes she took? how only one or two people got an A in the class and even though she had a 95 or something she didn't get an A? i think she modeled her grading scale to match the one she experienced as a grad student.

RDickerson said:

for a moment, i thought i was dyslexic and read "ORGASMITRY" :laugh:

Compass said:
If you move the S around, it changes from orgamistry to orgasmitry. It actually sounds official :D Orgazimitree.
glad i wasn't the only one who saw that. :p

Does it really matter what we call it?

:laugh: I'm just glad it's over!!!!!! :laugh:

armorshell said:
wtf is gen chem? In Washington we call it inorganic.

i-chem ftw

Here, inorganic is an entirely different course... general chemistry is the basics, inorganic is an upper level course based on atomic and molecular structure, etc...

Jeru said:
Does it really matter what we call it?

:laugh: I'm just glad it's over!!!!!! :laugh:

Hallelulah ;)

I've got an o-chem final tomorrow morning. I'm not feeling the subject to be so orgasmic right about now...

ARRGGG :scared:

p.s. did I mention we had our last exam on monday, the lab final on wednesday, and the final exam covering 2 new chapters tomorrow :scared: :scared: Ok, no more sdn...

armorshell said:
wtf is gen chem? In Washington we call it inorganic.

i-chem ftw

thats a whole nother chemistry all together no?

Well after much debate over o-chem and organic. I decided to do if for the environment and call it organic. Yes, I use aerosol hairspray, but at least by calling it organic then I feel I'm giving something back to the earth.

lol. :D

Attachments

• organic.JPG
    organic.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 30
SeventhSon said:

Well, if you were to study the words "SeventhSon" very carefully you would notice that there is not a single "ool" appearing anywhere after the "t," is there?

:smuggrin: j/k

Look,

"o-chem" is banal.
Orgo actually has character.
Gen-chem rhymes.

There needs to be more debate (albiet, futile debate) on the suitability of the names rather than this being a geographic poll. So yes, "orgo" may sound wierd, but it helps mix up the trite names of "g/o/p-chem." If you are naive to the different nomenclature used across the states, hopefully this thread educated you. It just seems ignorant to put down another vernacular because it differs from your own.

At UIUC, I heard both "o-chem" and "orgo", but more often the latter. I personally do not have a preference for one over the other. Incidentally, I feel like most of the midwest uses p-chem and gen-chem.

"Insolent fools", eh, SeventhSon? Next, I bet you're going to tell me that RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, right? We'll see about that.

OwnageMobile said:
It just seems ignorant to put down another vernacular because it differs from your own.

well, that's exactly what i'm doing :smuggrin:

West side in this mohter fvcker right here, west side!! just look at the avatar...pac said "lets show these fools how we do this on that west side, cuz you and i know its the best side" I doubt he knew what o-chem is though :D

strawberryfield said:
yeah, well that's just cuz PSU RULES!!!! :D :love:

Hey congrats for being on the waitlist at PSU! Are you going to go there if you get in? I am going to apply there too and have heard nothing but good things

plus your only an hour from 110,000 fans in Beaver Stadium :D

RDickerson said:

I think I saw this movie. Took the usage of test tubes to a whole new level.

ironmanf14 said:
Hey congrats for being on the waitlist at PSU! Are you going to go there if you get in? I am going to apply there too and have heard nothing but good things

plus your only an hour from 110,000 fans in Beaver Stadium :D

Hey, thanks! PSU is amazing! :D

LOL... am I going to go there if I get in??? :laugh: A better question would be: "how long is it going to take me to drive 2500 miles to get there?" after I hop in my car three seconds after I get the call!!!!!!

yeah, :rolleyes: :laugh: PSU is #1! :love: