argh!! this is so stupid, am I right?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vixen

I like members
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm talking to my mom etc etc, and she mentions her friends' friend is a faculty member at X dental school, and if I want, I should contact them for a recommendation. I start telling her, well its a nice thought, but they really do ask, in what regards do you know the person etc etc, and even if I had a letter from a senator or the president, it wouldn't make much difference unless they could write about me personally...

anyways, my mom gave me a snooty answer back that she was only trying to help, and if I didn't want it, that was fine. Then I said to forget it, and then she hung up!! I'm so mad! I know she's trying to help, and I would gladly take help, but aren't I right? It wouldn't make a difference!

Also, I think my mom always wanted me to be premed, and then eventually take over her pediatrics office...my brother is doing anything but science, so even though she doesn't say it, I think she's slightly disappointed in me :( I just hope I get in this second time around, w/out that extra "help".

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a letter from a faculty member from a certain dental school would help, but like all other LOR's it has to be strong. This isn't someone your mother knows personally, it is someone who is not even an aquaintance so don't get upset about it. Your mother's dreams for you are irrelavent, it matters what you want to do. Just tell her that you will take over her office, but you'll turn into into a pedodontics office rather than a pediatric office. Then everything will be happy. :wink:

DesiDentist

Vixen,

Everything helps! Use all of your resources that you can get your hands on and try to get as personal as you can with those letters of recs. I had a letter from the senator of my state because my dad knew him pretty well and when I went for my interivews 1 school mentioned it to me asking me how I managed to get that, it was a good way to start conversating about something. IM sure it was not the make it or break it point for my decsion of getting in but hey it can't hurt!! In your case, a dental faculty member is awesome I would definately try to get my hands on that letter. You are probably really stressed out right now because of applying and all the sleepless nights that come with that but your mom is really only trying to help. Like I said before you will get in this year your grades are good and you are retaking the DAT and your in a postbacc program thats awesome!! Good Luck with everything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're right and I second Desi's opinion. The recommendation has to be strong. It's important to find ways to stick out or be unique, and certainly asking unique or important people to write a letter for you could help. However, if the LOR isn't convincing it's of no help. In fact, call me cynical, but if I was on the admissions board I'd be skeptical about LOR from senators or dental school faculty members just as I would towards LORs from pastors, friends or relatives. These ppl don't know how smart you are or how hard you work in class or on the job etc. They're your friends and their LOR will have little value. Despite what I've said, I don't think it's a completely bad idea to talk to the faculty member, but I'd be honest with them and tell them your concern about having a meaningful letter. If you're convinced they would write a good one - terrific. But my gut feeling from what you've said is that the dental faculty member was put in an bad position by your Mom and wouldn't really write that strong of a LOR.

Also, don't concern yourself with what your Mom thinks of you. Desi is right on.. it matters what you want to do. Trying to please other people will make a wreck of your life. Besides, when she sees you taking 1/2 the call she does and making 0 rounds.. etc etc etc.. perhaps she will realize the error of her thinking.

racemic,

I did not mean that a letter from a senator or dental faculty member would show the commitee what type of student you are. I only was trying to say that IF you could get a letter from a dental faculty member than thats great because odds are if one day MR. X and MRS. X are conversating over coffee and your name comes up ....well do you get my drift? Besides that it is important I think to have other interests besides just school for example helping out someone in a political campaign or getting your feet wet in a real life setting outside of school. If you can get those types of oppurtunites than great if not than you still have a great shot of getting in. Hope this clears some info up!