Argosy and Capella

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't insinuate, cite. What GRE/GPAs are you referencing? C'mon folks, this is supposed to be a forum for psychologists -- behavioral scientists -- do you really need me to cite the data about the lack of predictive validity for the GREs? It is an artificial measure of a poorly defined construct.

Sure, go ahead and cite away. I would love to see this data.

Fact is that since there are no students with exceptionally low GPA/GRE's in most programs you would be hard pressed to find valid data to begin with.

Honestly, right now I don't have time to cite, otherwise I would go research the data, but advanced stats starts in a few minutes.

Finally if they are so poor, why do so many psychology programs rely on them? You would think that thousands of psychologists would know better.I agree that within a restricted range of scores that the predictive validity may limited but that overall the scores do mean things. Or have you forgotten that one of the best predictors of future performance is past performance?

And with this statement you've also eliminated virtually every professional (PsyD) program (which will, sadly, inspire a cheer from many on this forum). However, most PsyD programs ARE APA accredited.

You might want to look more closely at academia both for the presence of distance degreed faculty, the prevalance of their own distance programs AND the lack of tenure-track openings for ANYone. (cf. the recent NY Times article, Decline of Tenure Track Raises Concerns, http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/20/education/20adjunct.html?_r=1&oref=slogin). One of my intern colleagues from an APA accredited, conventional program with professional experience out the wazoo was not able to land a tenure track faculty position.

Show me anyone from Capella or Walden teaching as a tenure track faculty member in an APA certified clinical psychology university program (not a professional school like Argosy.) Just because one of your colleagues was unable to secure a position doesn't mean that his education was less valuable. Furthermore you are rather vague about your colleauge, was this a graduate of UCLA with a Ph.D. or a graduate of Argosy with a Psy.D.? Yes, your education does matter and if you want a tenure track position it usually requires more than attending just any APA accredited program.

So the math works out to less than 1/6th.

I have never insinuated, suggested, or inferred that getting a degree from Capella is "as desirable" as one from a Tier I university program.

All I have tried to suggest is that getting a degree from a non-traditional program is not the professional death sentence that many here attempt to blatantly assert. I have been quite straightforward that taking the non-traditional route does represent some additional hurdles.

Approximately 1/6 jurisdictions do not recognize your credentials out of 62, if you had attended an APA accredited program, all 62 jurisdictions would recognize your credentials. Seems like a better deal to me, especially when you are paying for it.

It may not be a death sentence but most people should exhaust any other possible paths prior to considering this, it is just not worth the money invested at this time. I am not saying you did not get an education, I am saying that the value of the education is limited. It matters not if that limitation is artificial or real.

Members don't see this ad.

Markp: Fact is that since there are no students with exceptionally low GPA/GRE's in most programs you would be hard pressed to find valid data to begin with.
Curious counterargument -- because the entrance requirements are so artificially inflated (i.e. there are so few openings compared to applicants that requirements can be stratospheric) there is no evidence that such requirements are, in fact, necessary.

Markp: Finally if they are so poor, why do so many psychology programs rely on them? You would think that thousands of psychologists would know better.
Yes, you would think so. Welcome to the staggering hypocracy! They rely on them because they are a quick and dirty dividing line. Instead of wading through 100+ applications to truly evaluate whether or not the individual is a good match for the program and the profession, rank order them by GRE/GPA and anyone not 2 SD's from the mean doesn't get their application OPENED, nevermind evaluted.

Markp: I agree that within a restricted range of scores that the predictive validity may limited but that overall the scores do mean things. Or have you forgotten that one of the best predictors of future performance is past performance?
No, not at all. But 1) The GRE is not a "past" performance. It is a predictively invalid measure of one's ability to memorize arcane vocabulary and complete abstract calculations; 2) the GPA would be your better predictor if undergraduate work bore any resemblance to graduate work in psychology.

And let's not open the can of worms about the inappropriateness of the EPPP as a predictor of professional ability to practice psychology!

Markp: Show me anyone from Capella or Walden teaching as a tenure track faculty member in an APA certified clinical psychology university program (not a professional school like Argosy.) Just because one of your colleagues was unable to secure a position doesn't mean that his education was less valuable. Furthermore you are rather vague about your colleauge, was this a graduate of UCLA with a Ph.D. or a graduate of Argosy with a Psy.D.? Yes, your education does matter and if you want a tenure track position it usually requires more than attending just any APA accredited program.
Well, Mark, not all of us will graduate from Harvard or Yale. Are you truly suggesting that only the top 0.01% should be worthy of tenured positions? Funny, but FIVE universities have found my credentials acceptable to teach undergraduates. Ironically, I taught alongside Tier I PhD's while I was still a graduate student because of the lack of available tenure track positions. (You might want to study the realities of securing tenure track positions before asserting securing one is a measure of anything beyond political gamesmanship.)

Thanks for perpetuating the prejudice by dismissing securing a teaching position at a "professional school like Argosy." Whether you like it or not, the PsyD is a recognized and respected degree by the vast majority in the profession. And do you really think that only Ivory Tower academic researchers have any legitimacy in teaching new professionals? Actual clinical experience is not something future clinical psychologists should be exposed? Additionally, you are creating yet another artificial measure as most who attend Capella, Walden, Argosy don't WANT tenure track research university positions. They -- ::gasp:: -- want to be clinicians!

(And to sate your curiosity, my former colleague earned a PhD from an APA-accredited health science university on the west coast.)

Markp: Approximately 1/6 jurisdictions do not recognize your credentials out of 62, if you had attended an APA accredited program, all 62 jurisdictions would recognize your credentials. Seems like a better deal to me, especially when you are paying for it.

It may not be a death sentence but most people should exhaust any other possible paths prior to considering this, it is just not worth the money invested at this time. I am not saying you did not get an education, I am saying that the value of the education is limited.
And I haven't disagreed with you about the desirability of minimizing obstacles, only with the assessment that it is a doomsday scenario.

Furthermore, wake up and smell the reality ... the ambiguities of licensing requirements mean that ANY of us could find ourselves on the short end of a board decision. I just learned that a former APA colleague was denied a license in an northeastern state. She graduated from a Tier I APA accredited program and interned in an APA accredited internship in that northeastern state. But the licensing board declared that she needed one more course.

In New York, unless your program is chartered by the state board of regents (and only in-state programs are), you will be required to submit your program's curriculum for approval. Really think they created this hurdle so all out-of-state programs will be rubber stamped?

Apparently APA accreditation is not the carte blanche you are being led to believe it is!

Markp: It matters not if that limitation is artificial or real.
Of course it matters if the limitations are artificial or not. You, yourself, suggested that psychology should be more true to its roots and insist on valid measures of potential success. Why stop there? Shouldn't we be basing our judgment of a colleague's qualifications upon their professional competence and not ill-informed prejudices about the nature of training programs?

Sternberg, R.J. & Williams, W.M. (1997). Does the Graduate Record Examination Predict Meaningful Success in the Graduate Training of Psychologists? American Psychologist, 52(6). 630-641.

Sternberg, R.J. & Williams, W.M. (1998) You proved our point better than we did: A reply to our critics. American Psychologist, 53(5). 576-578.

Morrison, T. & Morrison, M. (1995). A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Predictive Validity of the Quantitative and Verbal Components of the Graduate Record Examination with Graduate Grade Point Averages Representing the Criterion of Graduate Success. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 55(2). 309-316.

Onasch, C. (1994). "Undergraduate Grade Point Average and Graduate Record Exam Scores as Predictors of Length of Enrollment in Completing a Master of Science Degree." ERIC Document No. 375 739.

Jacobson, R. L. (1993). "Critics Say Graduate Record Exam does not measure qualities needed for success and is often misused." The Chronicle of Higher Education, March, pp. 27-28.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sternberg, R.J. & Williams, W.M. (1997). Does the Graduate Record Examination Predict Meaningful Success in the Graduate Training of Psychologists? American Psychologist, 52(6). 630-641.

Sternberg, R.J. & Williams, W.M. (1998) You proved our point better than we did: A reply to our critics. American Psychologist, 53(5). 576-578.

You know better than to cite stuff that doesn't support your argument, don't you? Someone might read it.

First the study showed a strong correlation between GRE psychology test to first year grades and a moderate relationship of the general GRE and first year grades.

Second this was a case study of Yale Ph.D. students, hardly what I would consider the bottom rung of the graduate pool. And the median scores were above 1300, which was exactly the problem I alluded to a very restricted range.

I would contend that when you are dealing with students in the top 20% or less of applicants to graduate programs (much less Yale) that you have some serious sampling issues.

I hate to continue raining on this parade further but then the data was procured from professors who were heavily invested in their students further confounding the results with environmental demands that should not be ignored.

Mark

PS - I liked your other post, it was pretty good and deserves a better response than I can afford to write at the moment! As to the snippet referring to abstract calculations, I thought that was my stats class. ;)

*mod note: please make sure this stays on topic and doesn't become personal in nature*

NY is notorious for requiring additional things. I know a long-time ABPP professor with 30+ years of experience and a spotless record that had to be interviewed by a panel before he was allowed to be licensed in NY.

-t

ps. There is definitely something to be said about GRE scores. My belief is that it SHOULD still be taken, but it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Most programs have the luxury of using it as a relatively arbitrary measure. My issue is variance in the quality of individual that comes from ALL clinical programs.....I don't want corners cut. I think there is too much variance top to bottom. If the level could be brought up (and stay consistent), I have no problem with the #'s. The lack of internship spots is concerning...though that is an issue for another day.

Thanks for perpetuating the prejudice by dismissing securing a teaching position at a "professional school like Argosy." Whether you like it or not, the PsyD is a recognized and respected degree by the vast majority in the profession. And do you really think that only Ivory Tower academic researchers have any legitimacy in teaching new professionals? Actual clinical experience is not something future clinical psychologists should be exposed? Additionally, you are creating yet another artificial measure as most who attend Capella, Walden, Argosy don't WANT tenure track research university positions. They -- ::gasp:: -- want to be clinicians!

Just a real quick comment on this section, I am not trying to dismiss teaching at some of these schools, but I will admit when I see the majority of faculty come from within their own programs... it gives me some pause. The lack of diversity in the faculty is where I see the real issue. If the only place you can teach is where you graduated from or a community college, then there is a real problem.

Actually, we have some very talented lecturers who have Psy.D.'s from professional schools, and their experience is valuable to us. As you pointed out they've focused on becoming clinicians and the experience they bring to the table is quite valuable.

Mark

This actually amuses me since we actually used the Sternberg article in class just a few days ago as an example of how methodological issues can produce results that aren't very meaningful.

That isn't to say I think the GRE is great, I don't, just that Sternberg's article only showed that near-perfect graduate applicants don't perform noticeably different from perfect graduate applicants;)

As far as tenure-track jobs go, I'm still not sure what to think on the issue. I keep hearing they're impossible to get, but I keep seeing people manage to just fine as long as they are willing to work for it. We've even placed a few without post-docs in recent years here, and while I think its a great school, I sure ain't at Yale;) Its not easy, and you certainly need to come in aspiring to more than just fulfilling the requirements and getting a PhD, but I'm starting to get the impression it isn't quite as impossible a task as some people seem to believe.

Ollie123: This actually amuses me since we actually used the Sternberg article in class just a few days ago as an example of how methodological issues can produce results that aren't very meaningful.
Or is an object lesson on how to massage the interpretation to dismiss the conclusions which contradict a strongly held worldview or challenge one's perception of one's one value?

Sternberg and Williams (as most researchers do) openly acknowledge the methodological limitations. And Markp, as I'm sure you know, studies are often undertaken with participants and materials who are conveniently located. I'm sure Dr. Sternberg apologizes for being on the faculty of Yale and therefore using that population as the basis of his investigation.

But, just as telling as the criticism of the methodology (which was additionally addressed in their follow-up article!) is the glossing over of the literature review!

A colleague who is the chairperson of the graduate admissions committee at a major research university told us that in his department, applications for admission are sorted upon arrival into four boxes labeled GRE Below 1200, 1200 to 1300, 1310 to 1400, andAbove 1400. Tiffs procedure is deemed necessary because the department receives more than 100 applications for only eight admission places, and the department lacks the personnel and the time to read every application (Sternberg & Williams, 1997, p. 631).

In addition, the admissions committee has found over the years that there is very little variance in the strength and quality of letters of recommendation and undergraduate grade point average (GPA), leaving the students' personal statements and GRE scores as the main sources of variation (Sternberg & Williams, 1997, p. 631).

From the standpoint of the psychologist, (a) the test is based on conventional psychometric notions of abilities, which traditionally have tended to emphasize some abilities (e.g., verbal, quantitative, and analytical), arguably at the expense of other abilities (e.g., creative, practical; see Sternberg, 1985, 1988, 1996); (b) the test is an example of psychological theory put into practice and raises practical problems of prediction or its lack thereof; and (c) if the scores are not sufficiently valid for the kinds of decisions for which they are used, mental contamination may result in their being used anyway, as long as they are available (T. D. Wilson & Brekke, 1994). In other words, knowing a student' s GRE scores may tacitly influence admissions decisions, even if the scores are
acknowledged to be of limited value
(Sternberg & Williams, 1997, p. 632).

Funny, but aren't these the very points made here just a couple of postings ago?

Thanks, I guess. I have never tried to portray myself as an underdog, just as as someone who has worked hard and is hoping to be given a fair opportunity to demonstrate my skills and expertise.

I am in my post-doctoral, pre-license year at a sex offender treatment program at a secure state facility. (And while SOTP is not precisely what I was seeking, it was my goal to work as a forensic psychologist, which is what I am doing.) I also hold two academic appointments to the online programs from two universities (one private and one public). And ... I am in the process of -- wait for it -- developing an internship program for our facility!

Instead of sitting in a lecture hall/seminar room having someone lecture in front of PowerPoint slides and discussing readings from a text, you view the PowerPoints at your leisure, answer questions and discuss readings from a text by posting them on a discussion board. The major difference is that you are not required to be in a particular place at a particular time.

When it comes to the practical experiences, in Capella's case, we were required to attend a series of didactic seminars which are equivalent to the year-in-residence seat time of traditional universities. I know that some will assert that the year-long didactic format is not equivalent but all I can say, from personal experience, is that I never once was required to remediate any of my training because my supervisors felt I was unprepared -- and I completed a year-long externship and year-long internship as most all of you have done/will do.

Thanks for explaining it! And it's interesting that you did end up doing stuff with sex offenders, at least for now anyway, because that's a population I've considered wanting to work with before.

It doesn't seem like there's too big of a difference as far as information-learning/gaining goes...

Jon didn't mention this, but the shoe is kind of on the other foot for PhD programs anyhow, since its the school that is investing a huge sum of money in the individual and if someone is struggling and doesn't make it through that's essentially wasted money on their part since that person probably isn't helping their professor bring in grants or run a more productive program.

Thus, I'm sure the schools have some self-interest there as well:)

I am a little upset by something here. I emailed capella asking if they could tell me the overall percentage of their PsyD graduates who obtain internship rates, since all I can find are the APPIC match rates. Since most universities seem to readily give up that information, I assumed they would actually tell me if i asked. Instead I got sort of dickish response.

"You are responsible for finding the internships - you pay tuition for those classes that track your internship. Make sense?"

Again, i'm not jumping on board the "capella is the worst thing mankind has ever done" way of thinking but something with a little more substance than "figure it out yourself" would have been nice.

I am a little upset by something here. I emailed capella asking if they could tell me the overall percentage of their PsyD graduates who obtain internship rates, since all I can find are the APPIC match rates. Since most universities seem to readily give up that information, I assumed they would actually tell me if i asked. Instead I got sort of dickish response.

"You are responsible for finding the internships - you pay tuition for those classes that track your internship. Make sense?"

Again, i'm not jumping on board the "capella is the worst thing mankind has ever done" way of thinking but something with a little more substance than "figure it out yourself" would have been nice.

LOL, Nice. I guess that means that they don't track it internally. Alternatively, it means that 100% of their graduates get an internship since you don't get your Psy.D. until you finish your internship. ;)

At least they asked if that made sense. I think I would respond with, "No, it does not quite make sense." and explain what you want specifically want to know so that they have to answer a very specific question with no wiggle room. I think whoever answered was in CYA mode.

Mark

I only know who like half those people are. I think i need a little more education yet.

Anyway, for future reference,if anyone needs to know, Argosy is not APA accredited. They applied and then voluntarily withdrew this application for accreditation.

The Illinois Argosy campuses are APA-accredited. Some Argosy campuses in other parts of the country aren't.

The Illinois Argosy campuses are APA-accredited. Some Argosy campuses in other parts of the country aren't.

The following Argosy's are accredited:

Atlanta, Chicago (up for review soon), Hawaii, Phoenix, San Francisco, Schaumburg, Tampa, Twin Cities, and Washington, DC.

The rest are not.