Arizona Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoffa24

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi future classmates.

I just wanted to open a thread so we could all chat.

-David

Members don't see this ad.

Hoffa24 said:
Hi future classmates.

-David

Hello David!! We'll be class mates. It's nice to meet you! Let's keep in touch.

Hello All!! Happy New Year!! Anyone else decided on going to Arizona in July? I just sent in my admissions fee today, and was wondering if anyone else is planning on AZ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Opal22 also had posted AZ acceptance, so that makes 4 of us.

Hello classmates!! I will be going to Arizona. Have a great New Years!

Hi David and everyone else,

Please count me in as one of your future classmates. :love:

Add me to the list. I was wondering if anyone has gotten a class schedual yet. I'd really like to know what it is going to be like. See yall late summer!

Opal and Open wide....Can you please post your stats? thanks.

add me to this list

Members don't see this ad :)
calbear, you will probably get along pretty well with our simlab director, Dr Bell. He's a die-hard Cal fan.

Just don't bring up the tx-tech game :D

Welcome to the club, dane4695 and calbear14, you made the right choice :thumbup:

Hi All,
I'm still waiting to get an interview at Arizona, but i just moved to scottsdale last week and love the weather here! I hope i get in.

Hey any of you guys use msn or anything? Might be nice to have people's contacts.

Also -- what are you guys doing for housing? Just going to rent at a place nearby? What's it like to buy a house down there gavin? Do-able? Know anyting about low income housing?

Hello! I'll be joining y'all in sunny AZ as well! We've got a pretty good number of people on here, eh?
I'm just starting to look into housing/apartment options; anyone else? Let me know if anyone is looking for roommates or interested in going apartment hunting together. :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone this summer!

Hi all,
I will have my interview with Arizona this coming March. I am just wondering what it will be like. I heard there is a lot of stress on current event and there will be an essay. Can you guys and girls give me some advises? Thanks much in advance. I hope I can be your classmates this coming summer too.

JustInTime

Hoffa24 said:
Hi future classmates.

-David

Hi guys! Do any of you know when school starts in July?

Congrats to Arizona for nabbing you guys!! AMAZING stats! :eek:

sonrisa dentista said:
Hi guys! Do any of you know when school starts in July?

July 25th!! :love: :D

armydentist said:
add me to that list! i interviewed on march 1st and got accepted the next day. see you all in july.

Congratulations!! See you then!!

Hi future classmates,
Count me in too. I just got a call from Dr. Simonsen last night to offer me a spot for class of 2009. It was surprising that he called me around 8:30 pm (CA time) from his home. The long wait was really intimidating but it is all worth it.

David and wimcs : thanks for all the good advises.

Gavin: awesome sim lab pictures

By the way, does anybody has any suggestion regarding housing? I am considering buying a house overthere. I looked at houses in Chandler when I was overthere recently and it appears like they are mostly in the $400K range.

See you all this summer.

JustInTime.

Hoffa24 said:
Hi future classmates.

-David

Gavin: I meant awesome clinical lab pictures (I was too happy that I did not sleep much last night :) )
JustInTime said:
Hi future classmates,
Count me in too. I just got a call from Dr. Simonsen last night to offer me a spot for class of 2009. It was surprising that he called me around 8:30 pm (CA time) from his home. The long wait was really intimidating but it is all worth it.

David and wimcs : thanks for all the good advises.

Gavin: awesome sim lab pictures

By the way, does anybody has any suggestion regarding housing? I am considering buying a house overthere. I looked at houses in Chandler when I was overthere recently and it appears like they are mostly in the $400K range.

See you all this summer.

JustInTime.

JustInTime said:
Gavin: I meant awesome clinical lab pictures (I was too happy that I did not sleep much last night :) )

Congratulations on getting accepted and welcome to our class!! How exciting!! I will send you a PM with the name of the realtor that I'm dealing with. He helped me buy/sell my home 5 years ago and I trust him very much. He is going to help us find a home in the East Valley very soon. Again, congratulations and we'll meet soon enough!

To those looking for homes, I would urge you to build if at all possible (although it will take ~8 months from start to completion). For the same price as a purchase, you can choose you upgrades and styles (place that home on the golf course!).

Check out the areas of Gilbert (east and south) and Queen Creek.

ItsGavinC said:
To those looking for homes, I would urge you to build if at all possible (although it will take ~8 months from start to completion). For the same price as a purchase, you can choose you upgrades and styles (place that home on the golf course!).

Check out the areas of Gilbert (east and south) and Queen Creek.

I agree with Gavin--I also live in the Phoenix valley. Not only is it nice to have a brand new home with a warranty, your potential for appreciation is greater with new builds, especially if you get in on the community early.

Additionally, if a realtor attends the model homes with you on your first visit, the builder will pay him his 3% commission for representing you. The realtors have to do so little work on a transaction like that, that they will almost always agree to kick back a good portion of that commission to help with your down payment. My friend who is a realtor kicked back almost the entire 3% to my recent purchase.

One last thing, most builders for new homes offer incentives if you go through their mortgage company. Mine offered 6 percentage points back to us and a free washer, dryer and refrigerator. In the end, I received 9 points back, or about $14,000, before I even moved into my house. There are still some great deals to be found in the Phoenix area.

Ruprick,
Can you let me know what communities are those that offer incentives? Also how do you find out about those new community early enough to get in? I try to search on internet around Gilbert and Queen Creek as Gavin suggested but I think most of them are in their last phases. Thanks for your help.

JustInTime.

Ruprick said:
I agree with Gavin--I also live in the Phoenix valley. Not only is it nice to have a brand new home with a warranty, your potential for appreciation is greater with new builds, especially if you get in on the community early.

Additionally, if a realtor attends the model homes with you on your first visit, the builder will pay him his 3% commission for representing you. The realtors have to do so little work on a transaction like that, that they will almost always agree to kick back a good portion of that commission to help with your down payment. My friend who is a realtor kicked back almost the entire 3% to my recent purchase.

One last thing, most builders for new homes offer incentives if you go through their mortgage company. Mine offered 6 percentage points back to us and a free washer, dryer and refrigerator. In the end, I received 9 points back, or about $14,000, before I even moved into my house. There are still some great deals to be found in the Phoenix area.

JustInTime said:
Ruprick,
Can you let me know what communities are those that offer incentives? Also how do you find out about those new community early enough to get in? I try to search on internet around Gilbert and Queen Creek as Gavin suggested but I think most of them are in their last phases. Thanks for your help.

JustInTime.

It's tough to search via the net, and your best bet is to take 2-3 days driving around out here.

MOST developments aren't in final phases. There is a 9000 home (yes, 9k) development that is just beginning, about 4 miles south of the school.

There's probably 40-50 other developments that aren't in final phases, within a 5 mile radius of the school.

HySaad said:
I was planning on applying to ATSU for the fall of 2006. I wanted to know when you all sent your applications in. I am an out of state applicant, so Id like to hear from out of state applicants.
Hass

Remember, Arizona is a private school, so state of residency plays no role.

JustInTime said:
Ruprick,

JustInTime.

Justin,

Gavin was right--your best best is to come down here soon and take a day or two to drive around to the different builders near the school. I wouldn't plan on 6 points back (I live FAR from the school)--most builders offer 2-3 points back but that is still significant ($200K home = $4000-6000 back)! Make sure your realtor attends with you so he can kick back some of his commission, though. The builders will NOT pay a realtor if they don't attend with you on your first visit.

As for finding these communities early, you can call the major builders in the area and ask around. KB Home, Beazer, DR Horton, Engle and Pulte are just a few of the builders I recommend--check out their websites and start calling!

Gavin and Ruprick,
Thank you for the information. I am making time to head overthere second and third weekend for house hunting. So it looks like Gilbert or Queen Creek is the place to be. I hope that the price is still affordable. Since you guys were hunting for house before, I am not sure if there is any particular builders or advises that you guys would recommend?

Justin.

Ruprick said:
Justin,

Gavin was right--your best best is to come down here soon and take a day or two to drive around to the different builders near the school. I wouldn't plan on 6 points back (I live FAR from the school)--most builders offer 2-3 points back but that is still significant ($200K home = $4000-6000 back)! Make sure your realtor attends with you so he can kick back some of his commission, though. The builders will NOT pay a realtor if they don't attend with you on your first visit.

As for finding these communities early, you can call the major builders in the area and ask around. KB Home, Beazer, DR Horton, Engle and Pulte are just a few of the builders I recommend--check out their websites and start calling!

JustInTime said:
Gavin and Ruprick,
Thank you for the information. I am making time to head overthere second and third weekend for house hunting. So it looks like Gilbert or Queen Creek is the place to be. I hope that the price is still affordable. Since you guys were hunting for house before, I am not sure if there is any particular builders or advises that you guys would recommend?

Justin.

Queen Creek and Gilbert and nice areas. Gilbert is a nice city and is very close to the school but tends to be a bit pricier. I would count on a little commute if you move to Queen Creek. Don't rule out Mesa, either.

The south and southwest valley (I live in Laveen Village) have some smoking deals on homes right now, but you would have a 30+ minute commute if you moved out there. Any of the builders I mentioned in my last post would be great.

When I was in AZ looking at new housing, I got very frustrated with the new housing. There seem to be a lot of hidden costs like "upgrades"(a lot of which are things that you would expect in a house anyway), the costs for landscaping (which can be many thousands of dollars), and lot premium fees (which exist on almost all lots). A good suggestion that I got from a broker was to ask the sales office for the average amount that most people are spending on upgrades. For most of the places it averaged 15-20k. The other thing to consider when making this decision is that it is a bit misleading to say that a new construction increases a lot in value while they are building, when you see the price of new phases going up. In reality, people pay a premium for a new construction, because it is, well, new. Because someone would pay a certain price for an un-built house in a new phase, they would not necessarily pay that much for one yours, which has already been built under your specs. To really see how much the value of your house has gone up take a look at existing home prices in your phase. If you find a development that you like, I would also suggest looking for resale homes in earlier phases. I have a cousin who lives in the area and he had a problem selling his house because there was so much new construction and that was where the market was the hottest. People would prefer to by new, so his house sold for less. If that is true, buying an existing house might be a better deal. It is a very hard decision and there is a lot to consider.

On a slightly different note: My plan is to move to AZ first and then look for housing. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an inexpensive apartment complex where I could get a month-to-month lease?

Thanks
David

Hoffa, you bring up some good points--there are some great deals to be found on pre-owned homes, too. I've lived here most of my life and am also in the real estate/loan industry. If I were to go to the AZ dental school, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new build. Keep in mind that over the course of four years, your development/community will be mostly complete and that shouldn't harm your resale intentions.

As for hidden costs, I recently bought a new home with Beazer and the "upgrades" can definitely add up. If you are willing to go with the standard carpet and flooring, you could probably get away with an extra 5K or so added to the base price (pre-wiring for ceiling fans, etc). We opted for quite a few upgrades (tile, upgraded carpet, covered patios, etc etc) and spent about an extra 10K. Most builders will include a free front-yard landscaping. If you are handy and are willing to do some of the upgrades yourself, you can save a ton of money. We recently landscaped our entire backyard including plumbing and I probably spent about $1000--that included grass and trees. We also paid no lot premium fee and we have a decent sized backyard.

I don't think it misleading to say that new builds increase a lot in value. If you get in on a community early (dirt only-few homes) the builder has to set the price low to attract buyers. We bought our 1800 sq ft home in Sep 2003 for $130K--that same house sold for $150K a few months later and now sells for over 200K. Sure some people will pay a "premium" for a new build--but others would prefer a pre-owned home because they won't have to wait for 8 months to move in, nor will they have to drive for miles to go grocery shopping.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with pre-owned or new in the PHX area. Homes are appreciating like crazy right now. I only recommend that you buy soon since prices seem to be jumping up so quickly. Good luck to all!

Ruprick said:
Hoffa, you bring up some good points--there are some great deals to be found on pre-owned homes, too. I've lived here most of my life and am also in the real estate/loan industry. If I were to go to the AZ dental school, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new build. Keep in mind that over the course of four years, your development/community will be mostly complete and that shouldn't harm your resale intentions.

As for hidden costs, I recently bought a new home with Beazer and the "upgrades" can definitely add up. If you are willing to go with the standard carpet and flooring, you could probably get away with an extra 5K or so added to the base price (pre-wiring for ceiling fans, etc). We opted for quite a few upgrades (tile, upgraded carpet, covered patios, etc etc) and spent about an extra 10K. Most builders will include a free front-yard landscaping. If you are handy and are willing to do some of the upgrades yourself, you can save a ton of money. We recently landscaped our entire backyard including plumbing and I probably spent about $1000--that included grass and trees. We also paid no lot premium fee and we have a decent sized backyard.

I don't think it misleading to say that new builds increase a lot in value. If you get in on a community early (dirt only-few homes) the builder has to set the price low to attract buyers. We bought our 1800 sq ft home in Sep 2003 for $130K--that same house sold for $150K a few months later and now sells for over 200K. Sure some people will pay a "premium" for a new build--but others would prefer a pre-owned home because they won't have to wait for 8 months to move in, nor will they have to drive for miles to go grocery shopping.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with pre-owned or new in the PHX area. Homes are appreciating like crazy right now. I only recommend that you buy soon since prices seem to be jumping up so quickly. Good luck to all!

Just to add a little bit, you can purchase a "spec home" (which was originally purchased by someone else, then they decided not to buy) locked in at the original owner's price. If you find it soon enough you can choose some of your own options as well

David,
I got accepted and I am hunting for house too (Thanks for your help with the interview :) ). If you are willing to commute around 20- 25 minutes per day, Richmond and Ryland homes have several new communities release this May and Summer around Queen Creek area. I check out Ryland website and it appears that they give out handsome builder's incentive. I am heading overthere the second and third weekend to look around.
From my point of view, the longer you wait, the higher the price is going to be. Also, keep in mind that the interest rate will keep going up to keep the inflation manageable.
Ruprick is right. If you are handy and can do some of the upgrade yourself, you can save a lot of money. I saved almost $4K to install the laminate floor at the current house myself with the help of a buddy. From my experience, keep the upgrade as minimum as possible. Sometimes, it's even cheaper to have an outside contractor to do the same job than to upgrade it through the builder.

Justin.

Hoffa24 said:
On a slightly different note: My plan is to move to AZ first and then look for housing. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an inexpensive apartment complex where I could get a month-to-month lease?

Thanks
David

any apartment renting single folks out there??

if you have any advice on where to live in the area, and whether its feasible (or practical) to live in tempe/scottsdale/surround cities, can you post tips?

thanks

FYI, Phoenix is South West Airline's featured destination this week. They have some amazing fares; you might want to check them out(starting at $34 each way).

www.iflyswa.com

Hoffa24 said:
FYI, Phoenix is South West Airline's featured destination this week. They have some amazing fares; you might want to check them out(starting at $34 each way).

www.iflyswa.com

How good is Arizona dental school?
Any specialty program yet?

Profchaos said:
How good is Arizona dental school?
Any specialty program yet?

in 2004, 7 instate and 47 out of state!? Tuition 220k for both instate and out of state!? is that right? is it a state college or private?

I saw the web page for Arizona's new school. (http://www.asdoh.atsu.edu/index.htm) The clinics look great! I also noticed the links on the side.. including this one.

http://www.atsu.edu/

I wasn't aware that Arizona School of Dentistry was part of the AT still Missouri Osteopathic med school. How did this program in Missouri become affiliated with dentistry and other programs in Arizona? Did the Osteopathic school fund the dental schools creation? Is Arizona's dental school public or private? Just curious..

OzDDS said:
I saw the web page for Arizona's new school. (http://www.asdoh.atsu.edu/index.htm) The clinics look great! I also noticed the links on the side.. including this one.

http://www.atsu.edu/

I wasn't aware that Arizona School of Dentistry was part of the AT still Missouri Osteopathic med school. How did this program in Missouri become affiliated with dentistry and other programs in Arizona? Did the Osteopathic school fund the dental schools creation? Is Arizona's dental school public or private? Just curious..

AT Still University is comprised of the following schools:

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine (MO)
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (AZ)
Arizona School of Health Sciences (AZ0
School of Health Medicine (MO/Online)

So we are similar to other universities that are comprised of various schools (school of business, school of dentsitry, school of law, etc.) but different in that our university is split down the middle by geography.

KCOM has had a long standing relationship with Arizona--their med students have been rotating here for years. The Arizona School of Health Sciences has been here for 10 years and has multiple professional program (Audiology, Sports Health Care, Physician Assistant, etc.).

Arizona is a private school.