Arizona dental school

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by tinker bell, May 17, 2002.

1. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Does any one know general stats about Arizona dental school like how many out of state student they will accept and have they set up a score range (for gpa and dat score) yet?
    Thanks
    T

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vietgirl

Vietgirl Junior Member

Hi there,

So far, I know that Arizona is a private school. They indicated that out of state ( or Nonresident) applicant will be considered as in-state. Their website: <a href="http://www.ashs.edu." target="_blank">www.ashs.edu.</a>

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    tinker bell,

They will accept a total of 50 students, and it appears that around 35 (possible more for this first year) will be out-of-state students.

Science GPA must be above a 2.5 (!!) -- no range has been determined for DAT scores.

Far and away the largest factor in determining acceptance will be the applicant's motivation for serving the Arizona community as a dentist.

5. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

I heard they are favoring those that come from a disadvantaged background as well as minorities.
    Now I'm beginning to question if I should apply since there are so few seats???
    Is anyone here applying to AZ?

6. Vietgirl

Vietgirl Junior Member

Hi Beagle,

I am applying Arizona next year.

7. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member

Hi,
    Me, too. I will apply it for 2004 entrance.

8. vixen

vixen I like members

im applying for 2003.

9. Beagle

Beagle Meet BEAGLE

Vixen
    Are you also applying to UNLV?

10. vixen

vixen I like members

yeppers.

11. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus

Dentist
    I am also applying to ASHS and UNLV.

I've spoken with the Arizona Dean several times, and they are without a doubt seeking disadvantaged students -- mostly they feel that the school can be of greatest benefit to the Native American population in Arizona and neighboring states (Nevada & New Mexico). Their primary goal is to fill the class with Native American pre-dents, or those pre-dents who have already had signifigant contact with the underserved populations of Arizona and will continue to assist those peoples (whomever they may be).

I don't see that goal being fulfilled for several more years, at the minimum. Until the number of Native American and minority applicants to ASHS rises, the class will probably be composed of other applicants.

- G

12. Rhea

Rhea New York University '07

I sort of made my list of dental schools I will be applying to. Definitely UNLV, but AZ I am not sure yet.

13. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Thanks for the reply, I now wonder how do they know if you willing to work in the arizona area as a dentist or not. Will you have to state that on your secondary or personal statement somewhere?
    thanks
    T