1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Arizona Feedback Suppressed At The Request Of The School!

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Ubiquitous1, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Ubiquitous1

Ubiquitous1 Wooden Shoe Like To Know!

Pre-Dental
    What the crap is this about?!? Did they get so many negatives that they felt like they weren't getting a fair shake? Or did some of the students presume to break the secret code of their interview process? I am kind of ticked off because I plan to apply to that school and I don't want any surprises. Can anyone tell me if they had a bad experience interviewing there or if you are a student there, how do you like it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DiDDyDeNt

DiDDyDeNt Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I loved Arizona! The staff is great and the approach that they take is awesome. :thumbup: The interview was also very good, there is nothing to worry about. :)

4. utahdent123

utahdent123 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I interviewed there this past week. The interview process is like nothing you will experiernce at the other D schools. However the process is not bad. The whole experence is actually kind of nice. I think they supressed the feedback for good reason. If they are interviewing you and want to see how you respond to the questions (apparently getting them all right is not necessary, according to D1 students) then if you already know the answers then it ruins the whole process. It's nothing you can't handle and if you have a hard time with it, then maybe ASDOH is not the school for you? HOnestly does the feedback really help you all that much? Most of it is just questions you already know they are going to ask.

5. DentalNerd

DentalNerd Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    There are several existing threads regarding ASDOH interview procedures where you can find info. Just do a search. The interview feedback is suppressed due to their unique interview format. They ask several current event, geography and common knowledge questions that were posted by recent applicants. That's just not fair to those who interviewed early...now is it.

6. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was a re-applicant this year. I applied there last year but have heard so many wierd thing about thier interviews I left it off my list this year. I hear some people like the school others are tuned off by the interview. They ask you questions that deal with current events and geography. What the hell is that? We've been hermits in the library studying o-chem and biology for the last 2 years.

7. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The interview at AZ is just plain bizzare. The whole interview is very easy and quick, even with the strange Ukrainian geography questions and the group activity.

BUT... it seems that they have a fine line that they want their students and applicants to walk, and NOBODY knows what it is. Who knows, maybe the adcom doesn't even know what kind of students they are looking for. I think that they just pull numbers out of a hat.

8. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Could be.

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    Some students were posting answers to interview questions that are used and reused on a regular basis. To an extent, that gave some applicants a bit of an advantage over other applicants.

Of course, that's assuming that answering the questions correctly weighs heavily in the applicant's favor.

10. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That's dirty. Suppression of information? Why don't they come up with new questions?

11. Ubiquitous1

Pre-Dental
    Obviously the notion of freedom of speech doesn't apply in cyberspace. First, a student at Marquette gets completely screwed and then schools prevail over the 1st amendment rights of people who are not even thier students! Who the heck is running the show here?!? :confused:

12. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    The only entity free speech is protected from is the government, and even that's not an absolute ("fire!" in the crowded theater, etc.). Private organizations--like Marquette toward its students, SDN toward its users, and parents around the country toward their children--aren't restricted by First Amendment protections.

13. Col Sanders

Col Sanders Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

This suprises me that everyone says the reason feedback was suppressed was because of leaked interview questions. Well, yes that may be the official reason. However, I remember well the controversy with a past member named Dinonuggets? and a few very bitter interviewees. Rumor was Dinonuggets? was the adcom from ASDOH posting anonymously on the site because of a majority of negatives in the feedback section. There was also many angry bitter or condecending posters about the school.
    Now I have nothing but respect for ASDOH, but it was very ironic that they decided to have their feedback supressed during such a controversal time and with so many negative feedbacks(This was a couple years ago and the feedback that was negative is probably irrevlevant at this point.)

I am concerned that SDN would supress a schools feedback. It makes you question who SDN serves, the Students or Schools or Large Donors(monetarily) or Moderators from ASDOH (no offense gavin). This obviously doesnt help the students. Its funny you can find many past NDBE questions violating the ADA agreement here on SDN but you cant find interview questions from an admissions interview at one school, when all others are present. Unless ASDOH has you sign a confidentiality agreement for there interview process I cant see a reason not to post about it.

14. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Well, certainly you're free to post that information. That's your choice to make. SDN, however, also has the choice to not allow interviewees to publish that information through its web site. If people want to post interview information, that's their own business, but they'd have to do it without using SDN resources to publish or advertise.

15. Col Sanders

Col Sanders Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am not questioning the legal right SDN has to restrict whatever they want. But this is comical how inconsistent they are getting. Its illegal to post NDBE questions but SDN hasnt restricted that information but precious questions from a interview are guarded and protected as if they are the launch codes from the Department of Defense. If I was SDN I would worry more about publishing copyrighted material than I would about posting the capital city of guam.
    However, I do not want to get into that as much as WHY? Why the preferential treatment to ASDOH, What is the connection with SDN that allows ASDOH the luxury of restricting such information using SDN's resources? This would concern me if I were an applicant, if ASDOH can cause such enforcement to occur over this forum then what else are they restricting here. I have never felt like information from or about ASDOH has ever been presented "fair and balanced". It just seems inconsistent, and the reasons the "moderators" give for this doesnt make sense either. Why on earth is it so important to protect?

16. HermeytheElf

HermeytheElf Guest

Pre-Dental
    This isn't FoxNews...if SDN, for whatever reason, decides they want to give special treatment to a certain school, then I believe they can do that...its their website after all. I also can see why ASDOH wouldn't want their interview questions getting out...it seems that most of their questions are, instead of the classic "getting to know you" questions we get at most interviews, designed to elicit a response from you. If you knew all the questions before you came to the interview, it would defeat the purpose of said questions entirely. It's not our place to judge their methods for accepting applicants. Also, if SDN allowed their interview questions to be shared for all to see, it wouldn't be "fair and balanced" as you so eloquently put it...it would be unfair for ASDOH. In my opinion, its a good choice on SDNs part...allow ASDOH to pick their students their own way without interference.

17. JessicaSimpson

JessicaSimpson Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

It's funny that you pick FoxNews of all things ...

18. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Freedom of Speech is an ideal, that even when it's not law, is usually recognized as a virtue, especially in a forum whose only contribution to anything is in the sharing of information. Why was that suppressed?

19. hokiedds

hokiedds Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you'll notice the line of his post that was highlighted (the "fair and balanced" part) ...that happens to be the slogan for FoxNews as ironic as that may be.

20. JessicaSimpson

JessicaSimpson Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dude, I knew that sounded familiar! I think most of us can agree that SDN is just as "fair and balanced" as FoxNews.

21. howui3

howui3 1K Member
    5+ Year Member

My only concer is what if other schools will follow ASDOH?

If the rest of the schools request to be blocked, would SDN comply? they did with Arizona.....

if this continues SDN will be half worthless. i guess there is some value in the forums but the interview feedback is key, that's how SDN made its mark.

22. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    All those interested in this topic may do a search and re-read the posts from the past 3 years on this same topic.

SDN is a non-profit website and all moderators and administrators are volunteers. All monies made from the website go to supporting the infrastructure and bettering the website. SDN simply does not have the funds or money streams to go to trial over trivial matters.

ASDOH was not given any preferential treatment. Schools or entities occasionally contact SDN and ask that material be removed or monitored for whatever reason. A case in point would be when students slander professors or other schools for the sole purpose of defamation. Another case in point would be students sharing copyrighted materials.

There are millions of posts on SDN and only those aforementioned volunteers to sift through them and take action when necessary. We can't catch everything that ought to be caught--we have families, hobbies, and are students as well. Please keep this in mind as you bring forth your constructive criticisms. Thanks.

23. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    One final note: I am an ASDOH student and DO NOT agree with locking the feedback. In past years portions were censored to protect students who had already interviewed.

ASDOH places weight on a set of specific questions that are asked in the interview process. These questions have correct answers. They DO rotate through questions, but the SDN userbase is so vast that it wouldn't take long for the bulk of those questions to get posted, along with their correct answers.

As far as I know, some ASDOH administrators feel that revealing these questions and answers would hurt those that interview early in the interview process. That is, those that interview later would have the correct answers memorized, while those that interview early in the process are left to wing it through, as it is meant to be.

24. jrd29

jrd29 Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that some predental clubs have their students fill out interview evaluations for each dental school. That information is then available to other students who are interviewing. Has ASDOH contacted undergraduate institutions and asked them to suppress these questions? If not, then students who attend such an institution have an advantage over others.

Also, any school with a decent amount of predents would surely have some organization where students could find out about ASDOH's questions. This puts an inherent disadvantage to students who attend schools with a small applicant pool or student's who have been away from school for awhile.

Just my 2 cents.

25. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So I understand why they don't want the interview questions to leak out, but why don't they just block out that section of the review and not the whole thing? Often the most usefull parts of the review feedback is just the general thoughts and feelings of the students. And what's wrong with knowing that someone recommends the Ramada or Comfort Inn? There is a reason I didn't apply to ASDOH.

26. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

what's wrong with you people? you can't do an interview unless you know what's going to be asked a priori?

suck it up, greater tragedies in life. Fox-news: brainfood for my bunghole.

27. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    That's fine and fair, but over 3,000 other applicants disagree with you. The odds are (purely statistically speaking, without knowing your stats) that you wouldn't have gotten accepted anyway, so you probably saved yourself some money.

28. Dutchboy

Dutchboy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Having high applicants this year does not make Arizona special. Applicants are up everywhere. I'm sure Arizona is the perfect match for many people just not me.

29. Ubiquitous1

Pre-Dental
    Simple common sense would dictate that this forum should at the very least, leave open to interpretation by the users the feedback left by students who have interviewed. I see nothing wrong with editing feedback to remove sensetive material, but let the bulk of the feedback remain so that pre-dents can weigh the pros and cons of a particular school. In other words, let this website function the way it was meant to function. I don't care if you want to remove objectionable material. It is a private website. But, it is also a worthless website if you allow outside influences to dictate the content of the website beyond what they can legally protect. It seems that someone who is so well-versed in 1st amendment law would at least realize that this website doesn't owe ASDOH anything.......or do they?!? Your refusal to let us see the happy and frowny faces makes students wonder which side your bread is buttered on. I suggest that you allow the feedback to be seen subject to your discretion about sensetive material. Perhaps you could truncate the feedback to 10 words or less. By the way, what is the point of asking each student at every school what their questions were? Clearly the idea is to allow students to interact and help each other gather information. It seems that Arizona has handily defeated the aims of this forum.