Arizona? Maine?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by mtnrunr3, Oct 26, 2002.

1. mtnrunr3

mtnrunr3 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey! I am having a hard time deciding where to apply... and I could use some info on arizona and maine. I'm from western NC, from a college town in the heart of the mountains, and I was looking for somewhere with a similar atmosphere. Having never been to maine or arizona... i was wondering what they were like? Big cities? Mountains or desert? Average age of people living there? Stuff to do? Outdoor rec activities (I'm a triathlete....) ANy info would be great!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cdreed

cdreed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi! I'm from Georgia but relocated to Arizona for personal reasons. Glendale is merely an extension of Phoenix... it is a rather vast city with mostly suburban areas intermingled with commercial entities. Phoenix is wonderful if you enjoy outdoor activities- 9 months/year the weather is extremely conducive to biking, hiking, rollerblading, tennis, etc. The summer months are very hot though. If you don't mind traveling an hour north, camping is phenomenal during summer months. In my opinion, AZ is a fantastic place to live. Oh, the landscape is desert. But mountains surround Phoenix on all sides.

4. spazwow

spazwow Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a 4th year at the maine school, UNECOM

I am also an east coaster and a masshole, so bear that in mind when you read on....

i thought maine was great. for two years i got to literally live on the beach for cheap rent (coming from boston). since biddeford pool is a resort area during the summer, got great housing for my maine years.

maine is a wonderful place for sea kayaking, canoeing of all sorts, mountain climbing, and skiing.

the downside of biddeford is location and weather. you constantly have an offshore breeze, which is great in may but just rots in february. beyond that the weather is pretty much like boston. it will be cold from mid novemeber to early march, it will snow from december to march, and there will be some days with no sunlight and bitter wind

also, biddeford is a quiet place during the winter. portand is 30 minutes and it is a fantastic city (there is a lot of young folks and a lot to do), but it is a small city.

boston is an 1.5 hour drive, and boston has it all. but as a med student you can't wander down there all the time. so, alhtough you can get to the city fairly quckly, UNECOM is essentially a rural experience (read: you have to make your own canoli's)

AZCOM has great weather, and I've met students and alumni both who rave about the place. for the sun-worshipper it is the no-brainer choice. i'm also sure there is plenty of outdoor stuff to do there as well (i hear the mountains are pretty close)

my best friend who is also a UNECOM student happens to be a NC native. He absolutely loved maine, and has expressed an interest in living there as an attending. He actually had to choose between azcom and unecom, ended up choosing unecom because of academic reputation (which, believe me, is a moot point) and becuase fishing in maine is unparalleled. to be honest, he would gripe about his choice in february but never between the months of april-mid december.

can you live with the cold weather or not? personally, i think the cold is overrated, but i've lived in it all my life. if you are a triathlete and cold does not bother you than i personally think maine is a good option for you (along with azcom, tuoro, vermont, dartmouth, and other schools with outdoor oriented populations)

jeez, i ramble, but i hope it helps

jamie

5. spazwow

spazwow Member
    7+ Year Member

maine is woodsy much like the blue ridge in nc. the people are generally pretty cosmopolitan in bid pool, kennebunkport, and portland, but they get countrifed fast if you wander off 1-95 or travel north of portland.

mountains are about 2 hours away in new hampshire and an easy drive. skiing is about the same distance in both nh and maine.

portland and boston are both major college towns. durham nh is an hour away (UNH)

6. mtnrunr3

mtnrunr3 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey! Thanks so much for the replies!!! That definately helps... I guess bottom line is that I should visit both and just see for myself. They both sound awesome... Thanks for the info! :clap:

7. Nomar5

Nomar5 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dear mntrunr3,

I could not agree with my classmate, and friend, more. Maine is an excellent choice for medical school. Southern Maine is a wonderful place to live, study, and have a good time. You will be happy if you decide to go to UNECOM.

Just one additional point...when you choose a medical school make sure to look at your education as a whole (meaning all 4 years). The quality, location and variety of clinical sites is an important factor when deciding which school to attend. Remember that you will spend 50% of your time in medical school on clinical rotations.

As always, if you or anyone else has any questions I would be more than happy to respond. Thanks and good luck!

Matt:)