Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,
I am wondering if you could tell me about the interview? was it multiple people, did you find it in your opinion to be more difficult or more laid back? I am interviewing next week. Thank You!

The interview day will have 5-10 people and it's very laid back. You'll get lots of presentations and a tour and a chance to just mingle and talk to the other interviewees and faculty. When you break off to go ito your actual interview which only lasts about 20 min, you're in a small room with 2 interviewers. 1 is a faculty member and the other is a community member. Again, very laid back and conversational. As I was walking in the room they asked what my name meant and what my major is and I kinda just just elaborated and they would ask lots of follow up questions.

Members don't see this ad.

The interview day will have 5-10 people and it's very laid back. You'll get lots of presentations and a tour and a chance to just mingle and talk to the other interviewees and faculty. When you break off to go ito your actual interview which only lasts about 20 min, you're in a small room with 2 interviewers. 1 is a faculty member and the other is a community member. Again, very laid back and conversational. As I was walking in the room they asked what my name meant and what my major is and I kinda just just elaborated and they would ask lots of follow up questions.
Awesome news to hear, thank you so much. What time did you finish around 1:30? Also, was it a blind interview as they say, what does that mean exactly?

Awesome news to hear, thank you so much. What time did you finish around 1:30? Also, was it a blind interview as they say, what does that mean exactly?
Blind meaning, they have not read your file or know anything about your scores or any other attribute. They are very nice and try to make you feel comfortable and don't forget to drink water if you need to during the interview. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have any information on ARCOM's rotation spots? I have written down that they are moving towads more wards-based rotations for their students, but I can't find any hospital list at all

does anyone have any information on ARCOM's rotation spots? I have written down that they are moving towads more wards-based rotations for their students, but I can't find any hospital list at all

There is a list in the academic catalog on the school's website.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really want to like this place but it just doesn't seem fully set up yet

Hello,
I am wondering if you could tell me about the interview? was it multiple people, did you find it in your opinion to be more difficult or more laid back? I am interviewing next week. Thank You!
Its 2 to 1. And its pretty laid back.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted via phone call last week, but I haven't received the email with all the details yet.
Does anyone know the dates for orientation so I can put it in my calendar? White coat ceremony?

I was accepted via phone call last week, but I haven't received the email with all the details yet.
Does anyone know the dates for orientation so I can put it in my calendar? White coat ceremony?

Orientation starts 7/31. White coat ceremony will be sometime in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean for the people they've already accepted.
That would almost be impossible to know as schools only do stats on those who matriculate and those who applied and it being a new school it probably won't be available until next cycle. I just looked at newer DO school and seen their stats and used those to go off of

Eh, I thought I did. I just think I had a really crappy interview. It was my first interview of the cycle/ever. I was very nervous.

Nah you're definitely not the only one to get outright rejected. I did as well. 3.4/3.6/505, in-state, lots of clinical volunteer and work experience, and I very clearly expressed in my personal statement that my goal is to work with underserved communities... And I feel like the interview was what got me rejected as well. The whole day went great except for those 20-30 minutes. The interviewer and I had some pretty clear communication problems, and he asked what I meant by something that I said in one of my questions about 5 times (after nearly every other question that was asked). I think I got a little flustered and wasn't able to articulate my mission very well after that.

It could have also been the fact that I have replaced several bad grades from the past. Maybe they don't value retakes as much as replacement numbers reflect (which is perfectly understandable)? I honestly don't know, but it was pretty disappointing as I felt the school was an excellent fit for me.

For those planning to interview in the next few weeks, be relaxed as others have said, but go in with a very clear and articulate vision for why you want to practice medicine, and be prepared to have a conversation about it instead of treating it like a speech or presentation.

That would almost be impossible to know as schools only do stats on those who matriculate and those who applied and it being a new school it probably won't be available until next cycle. I just looked at newer DO school and seen their stats and used those to go off of

And what did you find those average MCAT's to be? I tried to look some things up, but couldn't find any.

Nah you're definitely not the only one to get outright rejected. I did as well. 3.4/3.6/505, in-state, lots of clinical volunteer and work experience, and I very clearly expressed in my personal statement that my goal is to work with underserved communities... And I feel like the interview was what got me rejected as well. The whole day went great except for those 20-30 minutes. The interviewer and I had some pretty clear communication problems, and he asked what I meant by something that I said in one of my questions about 5 times (after nearly every other question that was asked). I think I got a little flustered and wasn't able to articulate my mission very well after that.

It could have also been the fact that I have replaced several bad grades from the past. Maybe they don't value retakes as much as replacement numbers reflect (which is perfectly understandable)? I honestly don't know, but it was pretty disappointing as I felt the school was an excellent fit for me.

For those planning to interview in the next few weeks, be relaxed as others have said, but go in with a very clear and articulate vision for why you want to practice medicine, and be prepared to have a conversation about it instead of treating it like a speech or presentation.
Good to know. This makes me feel a lot better! Lol. :)

Blind meaning, they have not read your file or know anything about your scores or any other attribute. They are very nice and try to make you feel comfortable and don't forget to drink water if you need to during the interview. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for responding! Hmm, never been to a blind interview before, did they still ask you questions about your mcat and application though?

Thank you so much for responding! Hmm, never been to a blind interview before, did they still ask you questions about your mcat and application though?

Nah they're just trying to get to know you as a person. I've gotten the impression that even mentioning your stats in an interview like that is really frowned upon. Just focus on your experiences and your goals for your career in medicine.

We finished around 3:30PM. You don't need to bring anything.
Thank you. Well, hopefully after lunch then I can leave. My flight is for 3:30 because they told me that we'd be done around 1:30 p.m.

Nah they're just trying to get to know you as a person. I've gotten the impression that even mentioning your stats in an interview like that is really frowned upon. Just focus on your experiences and your goals for your career in medicine.
Thank you so much, this makes way more sense. Do you have any other tips?

Just withdrew my acceptance. May it go to one of you awesome students!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

They did ask me about my MCAT and GPA in undergrad, and about my current GPA in my Master's program. 3.3/3.6/497 are not very competitive scores, and I told them that I recognized that, and that was why I was completing a Master's program. Point being if they do ask you, recognize your weaknesses! They called me with an acceptance 6 days after my interview.

They did ask me about my MCAT and GPA in undergrad, and about my current GPA in my Master's program. 3.3/3.6/497 are not very competitive scores, and I told them that I recognized that, and that was why I was completing a Master's program. Point being if they do ask you, recognize your weaknesses! They called me with an acceptance 6 days after my interview.
+1 to this too. I was asked about them in response to saying I'd happily attend if I were fortunate enough to be offered a spot. They asked why I wasn't confident in them offering me a seat and if I had red flags with my GPA and/or MCAT (not sure how it came across that way, but oh well!). Told them my stats and that it seemed like such a random process sometimes that I didn't want to assume anything from anyone ever. They laughed and told me to expect good news- 3 or 4 weeks later I received my acceptance!

First, congratulations! That was quick it took them only 6 days. Yeah, I know it will come up, I just don't want to say more than I should haha. How long was the interview, any other tips or questions you remember that they asked you? Thank you!

When were you accepted and when did you interview?

I interviewed on 11/18 but didn't get my DO letter in until the first week of December, which probably caused some delays. Got a call from Dr. Fudge and my letter in the mail yesterday even though the date on the letter itself read 1/6. Super excited!

I interviewed on 11/18 but didn't get my DO letter in until the first week of December, which probably caused some delays. Got a call from Dr. Fudge and my letter in the mail yesterday even though the date on the letter itself read 1/6. Super excited!
Congratulations!! I hope I will be accepted to join you in the fall.

I think we had the same interviewer I was waitlisted

Was the interview first or was it after the tours/presentations?

Was the interview first or was it after the tours/presentations?

First, there was a nice meet and greet with the faculty. Then we go in the conference room for a presentation. Next, we separated into groups, some went to financial aid, others went to interview, and other stayed for another presentation. After that, the groups met up, some of us went to tour and the other half had the group activity. Later, you will have a good lunch with one of the interviewees and one of the faculty members. Lastly, you will eat some delicious cookies as you mingle with faculty/staff.

First, there was a nice meet and greet with the faculty. Then we go in the conference room for a presentation. Next, we separated into groups, some went to financial aid, others went to interview, and other stayed for another presentation. After that, the groups met up, some of us went to tour and the other half had the group activity. Later, you will have a good lunch with one of the interviewees and one of the faculty members. Lastly, you will eat some delicious cookies as you mingle with faculty/staff.
Thank you so much. It definitely sounds pretty laid back. Do you remember what time it ended?

Thank you so much. It definitely sounds pretty laid back. Do you remember what time it ended?
the actual activity ends around 1:15 but many people stay and mingle after. It's a great opportunity to have one on one conversations with the faculty and really stand out.
Also, I have a favor to ask you. Can you report any updates they have on the housing? When it will be ready and the amenities and stuff. I've been looking for apartments in the area and I think the Greens that ARCOM is building would be my best bet, except I know nothing about them!

the actual activity ends around 1:15 but many people stay and mingle after. It's a great opportunity to have one on one conversations with the faculty and really stand out.
Also, I have a favor to ask you. Can you report any updates they have on the housing? When it will be ready and the amenities and stuff. I've been looking for apartments in the area and I think the Greens that ARCOM is building would be my best bet, except I know nothing about them!
http://public.fortsmithchamber.com/...unces-groundbreaking-on-the-greens-12-05-2016

If anyone doesn't want to live there, I highly recommend checking out The Reserve in Fort Chaffee. They're extremely nice and at a good price.

Just wondering but does anyone know how they notify people if they have been waitlisted? Is it e-mail and/or letter in the mail? Phone call?

Definitely will ask them that, already had that on my list of questions. Yeah, my flight is 3:30, you think id be good to chat til like 2? Let me know if you have any other questions you want me to ask them.

Just wondering but does anyone know how they notify people if they have been waitlisted? Is it e-mail and/or letter in the mail? Phone call?

I'm not sure but I will say that a week and a half ago I spoke with someone in admissions who said that in a couple weeks or so they would rank the waitlist. Once they do that, they'll be able to start offering spots to those on the list. I wonder how many people are on the waitlist. It seems like a lot of people have been offered acceptances lately but I haven't seen too many people on here who were waitlisted (I was waitlisted)

I'm not sure but I will say that a week and a half ago I spoke with someone in admissions who said that in a couple weeks or so they would rank the waitlist. Once they do that, they'll be able to start offering spots to those on the list. I wonder how many people are on the waitlist. It seems like a lot of people have been offered acceptances lately but I haven't seen too many people on here who were waitlisted (I was waitlisted)

How were you informed that you were waitlisted? Via e-mail or phone call? I interviewed last week and am waiting for a decision.

Definitely will ask them that, already had that on my list of questions. Yeah, my flight is 3:30, you think id be good to chat til like 2? Let me know if you have any other questions you want me to ask them.

I left at 1 when everybody was still eating. (I had an 8 hour drive ahead of me!) I just spoke up when everybody was asked if they had an early flight. Still accepted.

Anyone heard of what supplies are needed when school starts? Or gotten anything yet?

Anybody here interviewing tomorrow and staying at Hampton Inn message me. Let's go grab dinner

I left at 1 when everybody was still eating. (I had an 8 hour drive ahead of me!) I just spoke up when everybody was asked if they had an early flight. Still accepted.
No problem, what was the question you wanted me to ask them about housing right?