Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard of what supplies are needed when school starts? Or gotten anything yet?
Nothing yet. I was thinking it'd be this month, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has hotel recommendations I know the schools suggests Hampton Inn, did anyone here use their shuttle services? Was it effective or do most people get rental cars if they fly in?

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has hotel recommendations I know the schools suggests Hampton Inn, did anyone here use their shuttle services? Was it effective or do most people get rental cars if they fly in?
I used the Hampton shuttle service. It wasn't bad. They got us there on time and were there to pick us up at the end.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am patiently waiting to hear news from my 1/16 interview! They said 7-10 days, today is day 8!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone that's been accepted received info on the checklist of things they need for matriculation, as well as info about the health screening,etc. ?

Has anyone that's been accepted received info on the checklist of things they need for matriculation, as well as info about the health screening,etc. ?
It's in the catalog I believe on what we need but I'm sure they will let us know before or at orientation

I'm sure we'll get an email soon with the immunization and physical forms. They'll have to allow us time since some of the vacs are done in a series lasting several months.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, I am wondering if you think its late to apply now and anyone knows lowest MCAT they take?

thanks

Hey guys, I am wondering if you think its late to apply now and anyone knows lowest MCAT they take?

thanks
I think someone earlier in the thread said they got accepted with a 495 I personally got a 499

thanks
Them being a new school it's hard to say they are still accepting people so I say go for it if your primary is already verified etc

Members don't see this ad :)
While stats are important (to an extent), it's obvious that they are looking more for a "good fit" based on extracurriculars and such since they're admitting an inaugural class.

Thank you, do they take out of state applicants?
Yes they have accepted a good amount i from what admissions has said in news interviews they show favoritism to Arkansas residents but are under no obligations and have accepted some people as far as California

Accepted got the call 30 minutes ago!!!

Reactions: 2 users
My MCAT is 493 but my GPA and extracurriculars make up for that I think that's why I was accepted! The interview plays a huge role also.

My MCAT is 493 but my GPA and extracurriculars make up for that I think that's why I was accepted! The interview plays a huge role also.

thank you, I have similar stats.. very comforting to know but I hope I am not late in the game..

My MCAT is 493 but I have a good gpa and EC's but was waitlisted ☹️ really praying for an acceptance here

Anyone on the waitlist, I have an update! I spoke with admissions and they said that the list will be ranked at the meeting next week. Possible movement could happen next week!

Hi everyone! It's my first time posting on here. My interview is on 2/6. I'm so thrilled!!! I'm flying from CA on 2/4. Do you recommend any close-by airports that might be cheaper than Fort Smith airport? I don't mind driving a couple of hours from the airport to ARCOM cuz I can do some sightseeing too. Thanks!

Hi everyone! It's my first time posting on here. My interview is on 2/6. I'm so thrilled!!! I'm flying from CA on 2/4. Do you recommend any close-by airports that might be cheaper than Fort Smith airport? I don't mind driving a couple of hours from the airport to ARCOM cuz I can do some sightseeing too. Thanks!

Look into XNA out of Fayetteville, AR. It is a larger airport. Fort Smith's airport is a very small regional airport. Fayetteville will only be an hour drive on interstate as well to Fort Smith. Another option would be to look into flying into Tulsa, OK. That would be a couple hour drive though into Fort Smith.

Hey all. Interview is in a few days. Any questions that you were asked would be appreciated!

Look into XNA out of Fayetteville, AR. It is a larger airport. Fort Smith's airport is a very small regional airport. Fayetteville will only be an hour drive on interstate as well to Fort Smith. Another option would be to look into flying into Tulsa, OK. That would be a couple hour drive though into Fort Smith.
Thanks for the rec. I'll look into those options.

YAY!:happy: Same here!! It's my first interview ever. Really don't know what to expect

It's my first as well and I'm so excited! Hope you do good! I live in Fort Smith and have been to the school on many occasions. The staff is very friendly, not uptight or stuck up at all! I'll be praying that our day goes well!

Good luck to all upcoming interviewees! Just be conversational throughout the day and it will go just fine. It's a super relaxed day, so try not to stress too hard. If you have any questions about Fort Smith or the structure of the day, ask away or PM me and I'll try to help out!

It's my first as well and I'm so excited! Hope you do good! I live in Fort Smith and have been to the school on many occasions. The staff is very friendly, not uptight or stuck up at all! I'll be praying that our day goes well!

anyone is able to get a hold of the admission?

I just drove by and there is no one at the school this weekend! I have always just directly called the admissions office using (479) 308-2200 and have almost always gotten an answer as I remember!

I just drove by and there is no one at the school this weekend! I have always just directly called the admissions office using (479) 308-2200 and have almost always gotten an answer as I remember!

thanks but weekend clearly no one will be there, i tried them friday all day and got no one!

I'm also attending the 2/6 interview. I fly in to Tulsa OK and drive over. I have RVUCOM-SU first though, on 2/3. Considering layovers and drives, I'll be in 8 states in 3 days :O. These are my first two interviews, and I am excited to meet you guys!

Unfortunately, circumstances required me to apply late in the cycle. This is my only shot due to the grade replacement changes, but at least I'm seeing a bit of love. 5 IIs, no rejections yet out of 28 schools applied!

I will be attending the 2/6 interview as well! Looking forward to this whole experience and meeting new people. Are the hotel discounts through ARCOM worth staying at Hampton? Also, I will be in Arkansas for 6 days as I have another interview later in the week. Can anyone from Arkansas give me some insight into places I should check out?

I'm also attending the 2/6 interview. I fly in to Tulsa OK and drive over. I have RVUCOM-SU first though, on 2/3. Considering layovers and drives, I'll be in 8 states in 3 days :O. These are my first two interviews, and I am excited to meet you guys!

Unfortunately, circumstances required me to apply late in the cycle. This is my only shot due to the grade replacement changes, but at least I'm seeing a bit of love. 5 IIs, no rejections yet out of 28 schools applied!

Hi, when did you apply?

I will be attending the 2/6 interview as well! Looking forward to this whole experience and meeting new people. Are the hotel discounts through ARCOM worth staying at Hampton? Also, I will be in Arkansas for 6 days as I have another interview later in the week. Can anyone from Arkansas give me some insight into places I should check out?
I'm quoting one of my posts on here from a long time ago for places in Fort Smith
For everyone interviewing and coming in the night before, if you're looking to spend maybe a little bit of time hanging out, head downtown to check out places to eat. My favorites are Rolandos (authentic Latin food- my fav), Doe's (pricey but awesome steakhouse), Bricktown Brewery (American cuisine with local beer), and Papa's Pub and Pizzeria (busiest bar in town with maybe the best pizza in the city- really fun/young atmosphere if you're here for a weekend interview). All of those places you can easily eat for $10-15 an entry with the exception of Doe's. There's a Mexican restaurant downtown too called La Huerta that is pretty good and cheap (El Zarape is IMO better and has 1 penny margaritas everyday :thumbup:). If you see a foodtruck downtown (there are a ton and actually have great food) called Truckin' Delicious, you're in for a treat.

Just trying to help everyone out since there aren't any students to tell you about places to go! Good luck!
If you decide to leave Fort Smith and go to northwest Arkansas, let me know! There's a ton of places worth checking out up there. PM me or tag me on here if you have questions about anything while you're here! Best of luck!

Thank you for responding guys, it seems they take long time to send secondary and then II! right?
No problem. It took some time to get a secondary, but my II came the day after I submitted it.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm quoting one of my posts on here from a long time ago for places in Fort Smith

If you decide to leave Fort Smith and go to northwest Arkansas, let me know! There's a ton of places worth checking out up there. PM me or tag me on here if you have questions about anything while you're here! Best of luck!

Thank you youngdoc25! I will be heading across the state after the interview. Initially after looking at google maps I was thinking about going to hot springs and then to little rock and across. Are these places worth the trip?

Thank you youngdoc25! I will be heading across the state after the interview. Initially after looking at google maps I was thinking about going to hot springs and then to little rock and across. Are these places worth the trip?
Definitely worth it! Hot Springs is beautiful and Little Rock is full of stuff to do. LR has our largest hospitals as well that we will have the opportunity to do rotations at through ARCOM (with the exception of UAMS hospital). After LR though, you will see the very rural parts of AR haha eastern AR is farm country, so don't expect too much between there and Jonesboro!