Arkansas gets new rad onc residency program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you really want to defend using that nomenclature and use an editorial from one Japanese-America to make the case for it?
It's certainly not the most offensive term you could use to describe Asians, but certainly is obsolete and silly to show up in a job description. I think the op-ed nailed it perfectly

Members don't see this ad.

Posts that make fun of small towns/suggest that no one in their right mind would want to work there play right into the hands of those who want residency expansion. Their argument of "we need a residency program in Arkansas so people will stay here and work" certainly seems stronger after one reads the disparaging remarks on this board about smaller towns.

Reactions: 2 users
The nice thing about living on the coasts/Chicago is that even if you use individual countries to describe cuisine from Asia (e.g. Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, Japanese) it may not be specific enough! When someone asks if I want to go to an Indian restaurant, my usual follow-up is "Hyderabadi or Malabari?"

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The nice thing about living on the coasts/Chicago is that even if you use individual countries to describe cuisine from Asia (e.g. Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, Japanese) it may not be specific enough! When someone asks if I want to go to an Indian restaurant, my usual follow-up is "Hyderabadi or Malabari?"

Do you really think being able to get something like authentic Hyderabadi Biryani or Schezuan-style Chinese cuisine is unique to just the coasts or Chicago?

Are you really that out of touch, man?

You rose to the bait and did not disappoint, the only group that is acceptable to mock.

Just part of our pitiful everything-is-racist everyone-is-special-except-rural-white-people-who-are-all-the-devil media propagated culture war. Nothing surprising in this noxious thread derailment by our esteemed colleague.

ec5.jpg

Do you really think being able to get something like authentic Hyderabadi Biryani or Schezuan-style Chinese cuisine is unique to just the coasts or Chicago?

Are you really that out of touch, man?

Certainly not. Should’ve probably replaced with the term “large metros.” I lived in the Southeast for nearly a decade and would frequently visit Atlanta for authentic ethnic cuisine.

Didn’t think such an innocuous comment would generate such a negative response.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a city of >150k people that doesn't have at least one of each Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, and Mexican restaurant.

There are 173 such cities in America. They all have at least 1 linac. More than likely 2 or (many) more.

I think when your ad mentions all the types of churches that are available in town and then says "oriental appetites" you're signaling to a particular type of person, and that's fine. You're allowed to signal for the type of person you want to take over your practice - it seem as though the physician built a strong community center and wants whoever takes it over to thrive. Who's mocking middle America or has contempt? I posted because the ad wording was funny, and I thought it was curious that all the other ethnicities (American, Mexican, Italian) mentioned were capitalized, while oriental wasn't.

no doubt that the ad was funny, and that town probably is pretty homogenous, race-wise

it was more just that GFunk seemed to imply that only the coasts/Chicago had authentic and varying types of ethnic food. just wanted to make sure he knew that wasn't the case. no biggie!