Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Arkansas school of medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gobeavers, Dec 14, 2005.

1. gobeavers

gobeavers Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Can anybody here give me any info on the medical program at university of arkansas. Is it competitive to get in to? I have heard it is an excellent school, with growing facilities.

Anybody go there, or interview there? Anybody know the average MCAT and GPA of admitted students?

Thanks so much guys!!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    check out usnews, but it's not super competitive if you're instate. they accept about 50% of their instate applicants, and i believe the average mcat is around 28. if you're out of state, i wouldn't bother, though, because they really only accept instate people. last year, they accepted something like 5 out of state people. one nice thing is that if you're instate, you're guaranteed an interview. also, they base the acceptances off of where you live in arkansas, so if you're from some really rural part of arkansas, you're more likely to get in then if you're from little rock or fayetteville.

okay, here's the usnews data for last year's cycle.

average mcat 9.2
    gpa 3.6
    instate admissions rate 45.7%
    out of state admissions rate 1.6%

so, if you really want to go, move to arkansas now. :)

4. zek

zek Member
    5+ Year Member

Actually it's the first 70% of entering freshmen that have to be equally divided between the four congressional districts. The last 30% can come from anywhere in the state, but you're probably still right that it would be easier to get in from a more rural part of the state.