Arkansas Secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... am I supposed to hand write this? Or find a typwriter somewhere? Ugh. I'm happy they bothered to send me this big nice looking packet by snail mail lol... but how am I supposed to write it??

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah i think my handwriting's gonna get me rejected. BTW, they just approved my in state residency (I've only been here for 2 years, going to school full time). I got one of the very first interview slots. dont know whether that's good or bad lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I filled out my secondary app by hand. I interview there on Sept 27th. From what I understand, it doesn't matter when you interview there. Except for early decision people, UAMS says they will let all applicants know of their status on February 20, 2009. Just go to http://www.uams.edu/com/comcat/default.asp and scroll down the page to see the deadlines

I don't think I'm going to be doing the interview tour guide thing, but if you want somebody to chill with outside of the interview day and maybe get some less regimented info about the school and surroundings, let me know. Send me a PM, and I'll give you my contact info.

I got one of the very first interview slots. dont know whether that's good or bad lol.
That's excellent.

From what I understand, it doesn't matter when you interview there. Except for early decision people, UAMS says they will let all applicants know of their status on February 20, 2009.
Last year they had 3 dates on which they sent out waves of final decisions. It'll probably be that way this year, too.

What's funny is I'm probably 2 blocks away from you right now as we speak. I live right by UAMS in Hillcrest lol. I could probably walk over and knock on your door, but i'm not a creep or anything :p

I'm plenty creepy. Maybe I'll come knock on your door...

By the way, if you want to see what a class is like, there's nothing stopping you from just going to one.

great I have the worst handwriting on the planet.

How long did it take for you to get your secondary in the mail after you called for the interview?

First I got an email saying they were sending me the secondary in the mail. I was actually out of town when this happened but I think it arrived within a couple days... keep in mind an adcom member could have walked to my house and dropped it in my mail box so it might take a little longer if you live farther away. They give you 2 weeks to complete it.

I sent in my secondary a couple days BEFORE I called for my interview because they hadn't even begun scheduling them at the time. So I guess I'm not really sure how to answer your question cause I did it in the reverse order haha.

I'm plenty creepy. Maybe I'll come knock on your door...

By the way, if you want to see what a class is like, there's nothing stopping you from just going to one.

I think I might take you up on that offer, what would be a good class to sit in on?

If you get one of the cell bio or biochem lectures, everything is pretty similar. PBL is crap, and ICM is really laid back and cool but won't be too useful. If you're looking to show up next week, go between 10-3 Tuesday, 10-12 Wednesday, 9-2 Thursday, or 10-2 Friday. Those should all be fairly representative lectures.

I don't think I'm going to be doing the interview tour guide thing, but if you want somebody to chill with outside of the interview day and maybe get some less regimented info about the school and surroundings, let me know. Send me a PM, and I'll give you my contact info.
This offer is still on the table, but I just realized the 27th is the Saturday before our last biochem test (on the next Tuesday). Consequently, I won't be available to just schmooze all day, but I'll still be happy to take a study break and show you around some.

Any takers? I guarantee a no-holds-barred, bullsh*t free tour of anything you want to see. I might be inclined to pour you a drink, too. ;) Again, PM me for my contact info.

Members don't see this ad :)
i want to apply to arkansas just to hang out with milk man al

Any takers? I guarantee a no-holds-barred, bullsh*t free tour of anything you want to see. I might be inclined to pour you a drink, too. ;) Again, PM me for my contact info.

I might take you up on that :)

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow. :) If you get Ben Watkins, Michael Vollers, and/or Charles Feild, (my interviewers) you'll probably have a good interview. If you get Dr. Richard Wheeler (affectionately known as "Big Dick"), you're gonna get grilled.

I am interviewing at 10:30 tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. I'm pumped about the interview, so hopefully it goes well

Well, how'd it go? Did anyone have my friend Stephanie as a tour guide? She said you guys were like zombies. :laugh:

I had a girl tour guide but don't remember her name...was she in the Air Force at one point?

Interview day was good. My interviewers were really laid back, and we just had a good conversation. They asked me what was the last book I had read, and I had to say Stephen Colbert's "I am America (And So Can You)." :D

Doesn't sound like her. She's Asian, a second-year, and from CA, and I don't believe she's ever been in the Air Force. I'm glad the inteview went well for you. I hear UAMS is known for easy interviews, for the most part.

I think I had your friend for a tour guide. Did she take a tour of students with a MSIII named John? My interview went really well and we had quite a conversation. We talked about the pharmaceutical industry, Congress, and the VA system. My interviewers were a psychiatrist and an oncologist. At the conclusion of the interview, the psychiatrist told me he had a lot of fun talking with me. I am gonna take that as a really good sign. The facilities and campus there are amazing. I really hope I get in.

Psychiatrist = Dr. Worley? She's hilarious. I understand that this is a great time to be going to UAMS since everything has just been redone, and most things that are currently under construction will be done by my 3rd year. The spine center is just freakin' awesome. I dunno if you went through there or not.

I had a girl tour guide but don't remember her name...was she in the Air Force at one point?

Interview day was good. My interviewers were really laid back, and we just had a good conversation. They asked me what was the last book I had read, and I had to say Stephen Colbert's "I am America (And So Can You)." :D

Oh, I was in that tour group....Claire and Chris....

No my interviewers were Dr. Jeff Clothier and Dr. A. Mazin Safar. We only toured anatomy lab area, clinical sciences lab, gym, library, and some of the classrooms/computer labs

I am interviewing at 10:30 tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes. I'm pumped about the interview, so hopefully it goes well

Ayy I was in the same interview as you. We probably ate the same cheese and pastries.

You should definitely take people to see the various and sundry "people slices" down where the gross lab is located. I thought that was pretty neat. Maybe it's just standard in most schools, but I thought it was cool.

How's housing where you live? LittleRocker says he's living in Hillcrest, I've checked out that area and have some friends living there. I'm concerend about mah boo' having to drive a while to get to the interstate when she commutes to Conway, though. Just wondering if you live in the same area, or somewhere else that you could comment on.

I definitely had an Asian girl for my tour. This will confirm whether or not you all were in the tour with me - do you remember that rambling wench who wouldn't STFU for the whole tour. For example:

"Oh yea I did neuro for 5 years blah blah blah" "Oh yeah you'll all get over feeling weird about gross anatomy like I did when I dissected people for blah blah blah" "Oh I'm sorry to hear that you had to put your dog down I have far more emotional trauma than you from losing 10^9 close pets of my own" "This is a decent looking clinical skills center but it should have this and that and I'm better than everyone look at me look at me please"

I think my wife almost smacked her for me once. Sorry if it turns out that one of you IS that girl. If you are, you need to relax and realize you don't have to try and one-up EVERYONE ALL THE TIME.

That's right! I should have remembered their names since we spent forever talking and waiting for that elevator after the A&P Lab.

This may have happened to multiple tour groups, but we definitely did the same thing. I was in the 10:30 interview group, and we ended up giving up on the elevator and walking around to the library.

"Oh yea I did neuro for 5 years blah blah blah" "Oh yeah you'll all get over feeling weird about gross anatomy like I did when I dissected people for blah blah blah" "Oh I'm sorry to hear that you had to put your dog down I have far more emotional trauma than you from losing 10^9 close pets of my own" "This is a decent looking clinical skills center but it should have this and that and I'm better than everyone look at me look at me please"

I think my wife almost smacked her for me once. Sorry if it turns out that one of you IS that girl. If you are, you need to relax and realize you don't have to try and one-up EVERYONE ALL THE TIME.

No I didn't have a girl like that in my group. I was probably the annoying one because I was asking them a bunch of questions about random stuff about on campus living, if there was a required laptop, and I asked the 3rd year about his rotations and boards. I didn't really care if people were getting annoyed because I asked stuff that was important to me. There was also a 1st year as my tour guide who answered some questions but mostly stayed quiet because he hadn't been there long enough to know the answers to the questions.
The lab room with the slices of humans that is supposed to look like CT scans was really cool. I always wondered how people got proficient at CT scans and now I know how they start to learn.

I was probably the annoying one because I was asking them a bunch of questions about random stuff about on campus living, if there was a required laptop, and I asked the 3rd year about his rotations and boards. I didn't really care if people were getting annoyed because I asked stuff that was important to me.

No way was it you! Those are all valid questions and concerns, things that need to be addressed. This girl was definitely only asking questions so that she could make herself look good when she commented on the answers she recieved. It was painfully obvious that she wasn't really trying to gain knowledge to make an informed decision about the school. Maybe I just noticed it more because I ended up standing near her most of the time. This was the type of person that I imagine tried to one-up even her interviewers. She may have told them that she had more clinical experience than they did. I wouldn't be surprised.

I didn't think either of mine were 1st years, but maybe one was. I thought both of mine were 2nd year. They were both 20-somethings, a black guy and an asian gal or she might've been philipino. They were both extremely nice, the girl talked quite a bit less, and the guy told a funny story in the clinical area about how a guy he knew told one of the model patients during the breast exam told the woman she had "really nice breasts." I remember the girl talking about the air force while we were waiting on the elevator but she mainly spoke about how a friend of hers was pretty much assured by a recruiter that they'd be able to get into any residency where they were competitive. This person was at the top of the class, really wanted to go into radiology, had great USMLE scores, and was definitely a competitive candidate. However the Air Force needed flight surgeons, not radiologists, so this person is now in a residency that they abhor. The story pretty much sealed my decision to not even consider doing the Air Force thing. Debt, here I come.

Last edited:
No way was it you! Those are all valid questions and concerns, things that need to be addressed. This girl was definitely only asking questions so that she could make herself look good when she commented on the answers she recieved. It was painfully obvious that she wasn't really trying to gain knowledge to make an informed decision about the school. Maybe I just noticed it more because I ended up standing near her most of the time. This was the type of person that I imagine tried to one-up even her interviewers. She may have told them that she had more clinical experience than they did. I wouldn't be surprised.

I didn't think either of mine were 1st years, but maybe one was. I thought both of mine were 2nd year. They were both 20-somethings, a black guy and an asian gal or she might've been philipino. They were both extremely nice, the girl talked quite a bit less, and the guy told a funny story in the clinical area about how a guy he knew told one of the model patients during the breast exam told the woman she had "really nice breasts." I remember the girl talking about the air force while we were waiting on the elevator but she mainly spoke about how a friend of hers was pretty much assured by a recruiter that they'd be able to get into any residency where they were competitive. This person was at the top of the class, really wanted to go into radiology, had great USMLE scores, and was definitely a competitive candidate. However the Air Force needed flight surgeons, not radiologists, so this person is now in a residency that they abhor. The story pretty much sealed my decision to not even consider doing the Air Force thing. Debt, here I come.

Yeah I was definitely in your group, but I'm not that girl

You should definitely take people to see the various and sundry "people slices" down where the gross lab is located. I thought that was pretty neat. Maybe it's just standard in most schools, but I thought it was cool.
That was probably my favorite part of the tour, too.

How's housing where you live? LittleRocker says he's living in Hillcrest, I've checked out that area and have some friends living there.
I'm in the dorms, and I like it. It's nice to be so close to class (literally across the street), and having classmates down the hall is nice for a bit of a social life. A few of my friends have their own houses and hardly ever see anyone outside of class. Hillcrest is pretty much a perfect student housing area. It's still really close to UAMS, and the property is dirt cheap. I'd live in the dorms or Hillcrest if at all possible.

I think Conway is ~30 minutes from here, and the interstate is probably about a mile away. It's not far at all.

That was probably my favorite part of the tour, too.

I'm in the dorms, and I like it. It's nice to be so close to class (literally across the street), and having classmates down the hall is nice for a bit of a social life.
MilkmanAl, what utlities do you have in the dorms? How big are they? Do you share a bath or living room with anyone else? How much do they cost? I think if I was accepted to UAMS, I would want to live in the dorms, at least for a year.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be a lot easier to link you to the UAMS page for most of that info:
http://www.uams.edu/studentlife/student_housing.asp

I asked how big the rooms were back when I was deciding where to live, and I think they said the duplex dorms are 240 sq ft, not including the shared bathroom, and the studios are 320 sq ft or something. I'm not sure how big the apartments are. The rooms aren't huge by any means, but my studio is plenty big enough for me. I'm enjoying living here, and you'll make lots of good friends by virtue of living next to them.

All right, guys, when's the next round of interviews? I'm going to show up and harass you. I have a sinking feeling it's this Saturday. My birthday is Friday. If I look a little rough...well...yeah...I hope I'm still drunk at that point.

I've got a quick question about the secondary - I'm OOS but do have an uncle that lives there. Is that a close enough tie to the state?? I did email to ask but no reply so I don't know. What do you think?

I had interviewed on Sept. 25th and was looking for a large milk carton but to no avail. :(
That was the weekend before our hell week of test 3 and the biochem shelf. I believe that was yet another rough morning. Maybe I should CAGE myself...

I've got a quick question about the secondary - I'm OOS but do have an uncle that lives there. Is that a close enough tie to the state?? I did email to ask but no reply so I don't know. What do you think?
If he's lived there all your life and you visit often, it might help a little bit. You should include that in your letter, but otherwise make it about why you want to attend Arkansas.

Nice icon MilkmanAl! When my wife and I first started dating (think junior year high school) she made me watch the Blur - Coffee and TV video that the little milk carton in your icon is from. It's her favorite music video. I made her little cardstock paper versions of the boy and girl mlik cartons with our faces on them as the missing persons once.

Does anyone know when we should find out about a decision?

They send out the first acceptance letters on December 18. I don't how you'd find out sooner than that. MilkManAl will perhaps know if there's some other method of acceptance other than letters. I personally don't know anyone who's gotten a phone call or e-mail.

They send out the first acceptance letters on December 18. I don't how you'd find out sooner than that. MilkManAl will perhaps know if there's some other method of acceptance other than letters. I personally don't know anyone who's gotten a phone call or e-mail.

That's all there is to it. The Dean of Admissions actually came and spoke to my school last week, and I asked him, and that's what he said. On Dec. 18th, they'll send only about 20 acceptances out. Then again on Jan. 17th. Then everyone finds out during Februray. I think UAMS is the only school I applied to that doesn't having rolling admissions.

Is it 20 this year? Last year, I think the December round was only 5 people. I'm not sure how many went out in January, but the vast majority of people hear in February.

P.S.: I found out that there's nothing particularly special required to interview people, so I will be an interviewer for UAMS in 3 years. Good luck! :smuggrin:

This would be Tom South, I'm assuming? Big Dick Wheeler? I think your class is 20 people larger than ours, so the boosted numbers would make sense.

This would be Tom South, I'm assuming? Big Dick Wheeler? I think your class is 20 people larger than ours, so the boosted numbers would make sense.

That's the guy! He was really informative, but most of the material was about the application process and less about the school. It would've been great to hear him speak LAST YEAR, lol.

Tom South is the bomb. Actually, I fell in love with the whole admissions department. I can tell you pretty much anything you need to know about the school, so don't sweat that.

So uh, what kind of stats would one need to have to be on the elite december admissions crew? Do you know of anyone accepted then and what kind of MCAT/GPA they had?

Have any OOS'ers had any luck yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.