Arkansas (UAMS) vs SLU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted986277

I am having trouble deciding between these two schools. Neither school is significantly ahead of the other in any one area, and I am having trouble judging what I should do since I live very close to UAMS and I was hoping for others' opinions. My main question is whether it is worth going to SLU over UAMS. I think I would like to do a more competitive specialty and the only primary care I am interested in is EM.

UAMS $256k ranking:96
Pros
  • Familiar with the area, did undergrad in Little Rock
  • Actual COA is probably lower since I have a cheap place to stay
  • Friends are very close by
  • 4hr drive home

Cons
  • Not well known
  • Primary care focused
  • Low rank and most people do primary care in AR
  • Graded pre clerk

SLU $315 ranking:71/72
Pros
  • Better-ranked, and traditionally better match list
  • Possible I could get some financial aid, which would bring down COA
  • Better research, esp with WASHU nearby
  • Pass fail for pre clerk
  • Brand new hospital

Cons
  • I like STL when I have visited, but I don't have any connections to the area
  • 6hr drive home
  • A Catholic school, but I heard it's not big of a deal so IDK
Things that are similar between schools: COL, weather, crime, class size, age of facilities

Summary: I would like to know other peoples opinions on whether going to SLU over UAMS is a smart decision, or if the difference between them isn't significant enough for the money. and being away from the support system.

Members don't see this ad.

Redid some math after SLU declined to give scholarship. The total difference between COA is 75k. Curious on others thoughts now.

the rankings are basically the same to me. One of my brothers went to UAMS and he matched in a competitive specialty. There were plenty of kids in his class who matched Derm/Ortho/Plastics, and one guy matched Neurosurg. Yes...about 2/3 of the class goes into primary care because that's what they want to do, but you can match a competitive specialty. The caveat here is that this was done when students still had Step1 scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would prob pick SLU because greater chance of matching into a competitive specialty especially since their hospital has a lot of residency programs in derm, optho, surgery, radiology, etc

Reactions: 1 user
the rankings are basically the same to me. One of my brothers went to UAMS and he matched in a competitive specialty. There were plenty of kids in his class who matched Derm/Ortho/Plastics, and one guy matched Neurosurg. Yes...about 2/3 of the class goes into primary care because that's what they want to do, but you can match a competitive specialty. The caveat here is that this was done when students still had Step1 scores.
Show me the numbers that were matched into specialties from UAMS....