Arkansas (UAMS) waitlisters, 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkmanAl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we won't be hearing anything until mid-April, but I thought I'd start up a thread for us. Does anyone recall how many in-state applicants there were this year? I seem to remember hearing there were somehwere around 300-350, but I'm not sure. I know there were ~130 OOS interviewees. Tom South told me that they "typically go pretty deep into the alternate list," so I'm holding out hope. Good luck to all of us!

Members don't see this ad.

Bump! Any of you potential Razorbacks out there?

Hey Al,

Wanted to let you know that I was pulled off the waitlist last year (July 6th of 2007) as an OOS applicant with ties to AR. Since it was so late in the summer, I decided to defer a year and get my life in order before the big changes.

It might come down to the wire but don't give up just yet.

Good luck and hope to see you in the fall!

Sam

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waitlisted too... maybe we'll hear something sometime this month?

I never got an exact date on when the rural practice people get selected, but it's some time in mid-April. All of them get moved to the head of the waitlist. That sucks for us. I'm hoping that Arkansas is a safety for most people who applied. That'd be fantastic. I don't know how many people usually do the rural practice program (Why do I not think to ask these things while the admissions director is on the phone?!), but I'd assume there are enough that we OOS kids won't be hearing anything until the May 15 deluge. I'm not counting on hearing anything earlier, anyway.

By the way, is Linda DuPuy an information machine, or what? Her response times are absurdly fast. I just happened to check my email about 20 minutes after getting my interview invite, responded, and got her confirmation within 5 minutes. She also responded to an email I sent on a Saturday night within an hour. All the other schools I've corresponded with took days or weeks to get back with me.

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement, Sam. Judging by the language Mr. South used in my conversation with him, I'm reasonably confident that I'll get in at some point. I sure hope I'm right and I get to see you next fall.

Mr. South told me about 5-6 people are accepted from the rural practice program-which surprised me. He said that we'd hear something at the earliest around May 1st. Good luck to you!

Any idea if the waitlist is moving yet? I'm getting antsy. Screw waiting.

Magical day May 15th is.

Before that, though, I'd suggest keeping your mind busy with a nice, cold lager or ale.

I received an email this morning from Ms. DuPuy stating that the Rural Practice applicants had been accepted. Here we go!

Good luck to you, Al, and everyone else!

Hey guys,

I'm currently finishing up my first year at UAMS. I am an OSS student and I just wanted to wish you good luck on getting in. Some people get in May 15th, but other out of staters in my class didn't get their acceptances until mid-june. UAMS is a great school and the new integrated curriculum that they've just started for our year has seen great results. Also, you'll get to study with Dr. Tank.... THE GUY who writes Grant's dissector. Good luck guys and best wishes!

I got accepted today! I'll see you all in August! Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.
Congrats!!! I'm really happy for you! Looks like I'll see you in the fall.

In the meantime, there's a facebook group you can join...

UAMS COM class of '12

so far, only about 44 people have signed up. it would be cool to get everybody on there.

congrats again!

Congrats Milkman!!!

I was pulled off the waitlist last week as well! However, I'm deferring a year so I can apply for scholarships next year, travel before I'm broke and have zero time, and finish up a couple of papers for work. Have a great year and good luck!