armed forces health professions scholarship - thoughts anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExceptionalSea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The armed forces opened up their health professions scholarship to PTs and OTs in the past couple years (in 2011 I think) and was wondering if anyone knows more information about it or knows anyone who has participated in it.

I looked at Navy's website in particular and found they cover up to $67,000 dollars for tuition, fees and books and also give you a small living stipend while you are in school. Obviously you have to agree to become an officer and serve as an OT after you graduate - for 3 years I believe.

I know the scholarships for Doctors and Nurses have been around for a long time and are fully complete in their tuition coverage and I think also more generous with the living stipend, but $67,000 in tuition and a small living stipend are still hard to beat no matter what, especially against the cost of taking out student loans.

Obviously the main factor here is the tuition coverage worth it for the service you have to give to the military? Obviously it's a very personal decision and different for each individual. Just curious to get some opinions.

And does anyone know anyone who's participated in the program (even as another health professional)? What do they have to say about it? What is it really like serving in the military?

Members don't see this ad.

I could put you in touch with an OT serving in the Navy if you are interested. I don't think she did the scholarship thing but she knows what it's like to be an OT in the Navy. Send me a PM if you want her contact information.