Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Hello Army-Baylor Applicants,

Thought I would start a thread for those applying to the upcoming class. The thread created last year by scrawnyguy was very useful as a place for application questions and to share in the struggles and triumphs of those embarking on the same journey. I used the same thread title as I found it jumped out at me when I would try to find it last year. This is my second year applying and I am currently working on strengthening as many parts of my application as possible, particularly addressing areas of feedback that I was given by the program.

Best of luck to everyone applying.

Reactions: scrawnyguy

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I'm looking forward to applying this year as well! What kind of things did the program want you to improve on?

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
I was one of the lucky ones who got in this year. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Once I head down to Texas next month I won't be on here often, but I can try and help out as much as I can before then. Good luck!

Reactions: PTX2

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I was one of the lucky ones who got in this year. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Once I head down to Texas next month I won't be on here often, but I can try and help out as much as I can before then. Good luck!
If you could pick one piece of the application process (GPA, GRE, interview, leadership, volunteering, LoR's), which do you think carries the most weight for the selection board?

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
If you could pick one piece of the application process (GPA, GRE, interview, leadership, volunteering, LoR's), which do you think carries the most weight for the selection board?
GRE Verbal: 160
GRE Math: 158
GRE Writing: 4.4

GPA Cum: 3.85
Pre Req GPA: 3.89

Those are the stats from this year's class. As you can see GRE and GPA are obviously important. The leadership aspect is also pretty big. After all you are not only applying to be a PT, but also an military Officer. I really tried to highlight my leadership experience throughout the process. I had more than 14 years of military experience including 3 deployments, a large portion of which I was a Non-Commisioned Officer. I made this experience the focal point of my essays and interviews.

I know some very impressive folks (4.0s and 320+ GREs) don't make the cut every single year because they fail to show why they will make a great military PT. The best piece of advice I can give is to make sure you convey why you want to be a military PT vs a civilian PT. This theme should be evident throughout your entire application. In my essays and interview I really focused on my prior service and how I wanted to continue to serve my brothers and sisters in arms. For my LORs I had two from former supervisors in the Army, one from a military PT, and one from a professor who I knew pretty well and knew a lot about my prior service. They were all able to talk about my previous experience and how I would make a great military PT. As a side note, I was only applying to Army-Baylor so my packet was very military focused. If I was applying to multiple schools this admittedly would have been difficult. I was also able to get a number of volunteer hours in both a military and a VA PT clinic. I'm sure when selection board saw my packet there was no doubt that I'm a Soldier through and through. My stats were in line with those listed above, but I'm absolutely positive that this other stuff put me over the top.

Army_DPT

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Happy to see a thread was made for this year applicant pool. Good luck to everyone!

OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I'm looking forward to applying this year as well! What kind of things did the program want you to improve on?
Pretty much needed to improve on things that scrawnyguy mentioned. I think I got a little caught up in the numbers game and neglected to demonstrate throughout my entire application exactly why I want to be a military PT vs. a civilian PT. I was also applying to other programs so that got me a bit unfocused I think. This year I am only applying to US Army-Baylor.

Reactions: DPT0311

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
In addition to the PTCAS essay is there a Army-Baylor specific essay prompt?
-Our program requires applicants to train in two distinct professions each with very unique requirements-- as a military officer, and as a physical therapist. Please tell us why you want to become a military physical therapist.

-Please write an autobiographical sketch about your life. Please include where you grew up and the key events which shaped your life such as major accomplishments, mistakes, influential people, and challenges you've faced.

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I'm married with a son, is there on base housing at FT Sam Houston? or are the DPT students given BAH?

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
I'm married with a son, is there on base housing at FT Sam Houston? or are the DPT students given BAH?
There is post housing, but there is generally a waiting list. As far as I know everyone in this year's class (and last year's for that matter) will be living off post. The BAH down there isn't super high, but the cost of living is pretty low as well. The area around Ft Sam can be hit or miss. A lot of the areas are either really crappy or super expensive (Alamo Hts, Terrell Hills). Some of the single folks were able to find apartments or townhouses nearby. I think another group pooled together and rented a place. Married folks like myself generally drive a bit more to find places. Traffic can be pretty bad to certain areas of town. We were initially looking at the north side of town in Stone Oak, but I quickly realized that I would have been commuting an hour or so each way. My wife and I are actually buying a place nearby in Converse. It's not the most exciting area, but you get a lot of house for your money and according to current students the commute is only about 20 minutes or so.

Reactions: DPT0311
OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Application sent! Now to anxiously wait.
Best of luck! I'm furiously finishing up a few last details and will be submitting as well. Just finished retaking the GRE and very relieved to have that out of the way.

OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Application is submitted. A little later than I wanted, but I really wanted to get my essays as perfect as possible. Now just need to finish retaking one class (10 year expired) and everything is finished.

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
When we arrived at the program last week they said they are revamping the application process so unfortunately your timelines will be different than ours. There were a few hiccups last year so hopefully things work a little smoother for those of you applying this year.

Army_DPT

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Application is submitted. A little later than I wanted, but I really wanted to get my essays as perfect as possible. Now just need to finish retaking one class (10 year expired) and everything is finished.
Good luck! If we are chosen we should recieve interview dates around October to November.

Army_DPT

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
When we arrived at the program last week they said they are revamping the application process so unfortunately your timelines will be different than ours. There were a few hiccups last year so hopefully things work a little smoother for those of you applying this year.
Best of luck to you Michael and class of 2019 Army-Baylor DPT! I've been digging through old threads and you have been very informative regarding the program, just want to say thanks!

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
does anyone know when we should start hearing back about interviews?

Army_DPT

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
does anyone know when we should start hearing back about interviews?
When I attended the tour they said we should have an interview date around the October November time frame. From there the interviewees move on to the military processing portion (physicals and background checks). Then selection board meets in February and selected individuals are notified in March.

Last edited:
Reactions: tcpt

Army_DPT

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Just received the official email informing me that I was not accepted into interview stage of the application process. Gonna strengthen application for next cycle. Good luck to everyone!

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I had my interview yesterday. Did anyone else get an interview?

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hey DPT0311, what are you stats? If you don't mind me asking.
Major: Physical Education w/ emphasis in Exercise Science
Minor: Biomedical Engineering
Overall GPA: 3.96
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155/158/4.0

Extra-Curric: Founder of pre-pt club, exercise science club, student veterans club, pre-health club, 100 hrs cancer/immunology research, 10 hrs biomechanics research, CPR cert.

Volunteer: 100hrs inpatient at naval hospital, 35 hrs sports/ortho naval special warfare, 50 hrs civilian outpatient. 185 total.

I hope you stay motivated @Army_DPT , good luck next year!

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
Just received the official email informing me that I was not accepted into interview stage of the application process. Gonna strengthen application for next cycle. Good luck to everyone!
Sorry to hear that. During my tour they told us that only about half of the faculty members made it in the first time around. They're some of the best PTs in the military, so don't get too discouraged. If you need any assistance on improving your app for next year I can either put you in touch with one of my classmates or help you myself.

Last edited:
OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
I got the e-mail that I have been selected for an interview.

Does anyone know how many they interview vs. how many go to the board?

Good luck to you all.
I am not sure the exact numbers, but it seemed like last year most of the people interviewed went to the board. I think around 100 people were interviewed and I know that 22 were selected and 67ish were placed on the waitlist. If those numbers are right, it seems likely that most people interviewed will make it to the board.

Reactions: baylor_hopeful_2017

shiny21

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2015
Just wondering if anyone knew when we would find out about who would proceed to the board?

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Yea, I was told that interviews will conclude by Nov 15. So we should hear something around that time frame.

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I'm just curious, but was any one not moved forward for medical screening/processing?

Oct 17, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
I was moved on, haven't heard from my regional HC recruiter or MEPS. Has anyone received info or been contacted to schedule?

Edit: Contacted, all is well.

Last edited:
OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
  • I've been contacted by a regional recruiter and they gave my information to a local recruiter. Still waiting to start the paperwork.

lsantoy

2+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
For those of you were contacted for medical screening and paperwork, what region are you in? I have still not been contacted and maybe think this could be a
reason.

OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
For those of you were contacted for medical screening and paperwork, what region are you in? I have still not been contacted and maybe think this could be a
reason.
Not sure about the others but I am in the Northwest.

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
reason.
I would call or email the admissions office and tell them that you have not been contacted.

Last edited:

tcpt

PT Faculty Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2015
Status
Physical Therapist
I would call or email the admissions office and tell them that you have not been contacted.
Each applicant who is proceeding to the selection board received the names / email addresses of two individuals in the notification they received from the program regarding Phase II of the admissions process. Those are your points of contact, please follow those instructions.

Reactions: lsantoy and DPT0311
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
So... here is my dilemma.

Last year I applied to four schools. I was accepted to two of them right away, accepted to CSUN off the wait list and denied at Army-Baylor. I decided that I really wanted to go to Army-Baylor so this year I reapplied and also applied to CSUN again as a back up. Last week I was accepted to CSUN, and told that I have until the 30th of this month to decide. But as we all know, we won't here back from the Army-Baylor board until the beginning of March. CSUN denied my request for an extension because they said that I could just accept their offer and back out later if I decided I didn't want to come. But with the new admissions traffic rules I can't do that because then I won't get into Army-Baylor because they have made it clear that they are going to follow the admissions traffic rules. So basically now I will have no back up school.

Is anyone else in this same situation?? It is frustrating that we have to wait so long to hear from Army-Baylor even though I understand that it comes with the territory since the reason for the wait is the physicals and military processing... On the bright side it has sparked some philosophical pondering in my mind about the risks/rewards between playing it safe and going for what you really want.

But you know that old saying... you gotta risk it to get the biscuit...

astarblaze

2+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Last week I was accepted to CSUN, and told that I have until the 30th of this month to decide. But as we all know, we won't here back from the Army-Baylor board until the beginning of March. CSUN denied my request for an extension because they said that I could just accept their offer and back out later if I decided I didn't want to come. But with the new admissions traffic rules I can't do that because then I won't get into Army-Baylor because they have made it clear that they are going to follow the admissions traffic rules. So basically now I will have no back up school.
I have a different understanding of the traffic rules.
The only one that applies to this situation is: "Applicants holding multiple acceptances are expected to immediately withdraw their application from those programs they are no longer considering attending."

My understanding is that, even following these rules, you can accept the CSUN offer while still being in the running for Army-Baylor. If Army-Baylor accepts you, at that point you would need to immediately withdraw from CSUN when you accept the Army-Baylor offer.

I would highly suggest contacting Army-Baylor admissions to check about this before assuming you can't take the CSUN offer without jeopardizing your chances at Army-Baylor. It's highly likely that you don't have to make this choice.

tcpt

PT Faculty Member
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2015
Status
Physical Therapist
So... here is my dilemma.

Last year I applied to four schools. I was accepted to two of them right away, accepted to CSUN off the wait list and denied at Army-Baylor. I decided that I really wanted to go to Army-Baylor so this year I reapplied and also applied to CSUN again as a back up. Last week I was accepted to CSUN, and told that I have until the 30th of this month to decide. But as we all know, we won't here back from the Army-Baylor board until the beginning of March. CSUN denied my request for an extension because they said that I could just accept their offer and back out later if I decided I didn't want to come. But with the new admissions traffic rules I can't do that because then I won't get into Army-Baylor because they have made it clear that they are going to follow the admissions traffic rules. So basically now I will have no back up school.

Is anyone else in this same situation?? It is frustrating that we have to wait so long to hear from Army-Baylor even though I understand that it comes with the territory since the reason for the wait is the physicals and military processing... On the bright side it has sparked some philosophical pondering in my mind about the risks/rewards between playing it safe and going for what you really want.

But you know that old saying... you gotta risk it to get the biscuit...
The US Army-Baylor program is intending to follow the ACAPT Admission Traffic Rules. As a program, these state that we will not knowingly enroll students who have matriculated (started classes) at another program. CSUN is right, you can accept their offer now, but you need to know when they start class, because on that day (if you've accepted an offer, enrolled etc), you have matriculated and occupy a seat. On that day, we declare that you are ineligible for our program. Conversely, if you hold that offer and decline it the day before classes start, you are still eligible for our program because you haven't started class.

Applicants to this program can and should entertain multiple offers. They should also communicate with Mr. Sean Stephens, our admissions manager, what active offers they receive and when the first day of classes are at those programs as well as their intentions. We do try to assist applicants who have multiple offers provided that they communicate in a timely fashion with us. Applicants, like DPT programs, are expected to know and abide by the rules. We have attempted to push our admission process earlier so that applicants can have less confliction with other offers. This includes making the PTCAS due date earlier this year (OCT) and requiring physical exams and background checks to be done before the selection board in February. Let me know if you have other questions. Thank you!

Reactions: Lumberbear
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Thank you tcpt, that is a relief to hear! Now just fingers crossed that I won't actually end up needing it as a backup school...

armybaylor_or_bust

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Does anyone know if a previous orthopedic surgery (>2 years post op during application process) has any influence on acceptance?

OP
Y
Feb 13, 2013
Status
Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
Does anyone know if a previous orthopedic surgery (>2 years post op during application process) has any influence on acceptance?
It depends on a lot of factors. This will ultimately be the decision of the physician that is doing your physical but sometimes things you think will be an issue turn out to be nothing. I speak merely from heresay so take it with a grain of salt, but I have heard that shoulder surgeries tend to give people trouble. Also if you have hardware (pins/screws) still in, you might have problems. Have you done the physical exam yet? Being that they are doing the physicals before the board, I would assume that if an individual does not pass their physical then they would not be considered at the board. Though, I think you can go through an appeal process with certain things or try for a waiver. If this process runs long, I am not sure how that would affect you (i.e. if you are still in an appeal process when the board meets). I hope that it isn't an issue for you! I would suggest working closely with your physican doing the physical and the recruiters to ensure everything is fine before the board.

Last edited:

scrawnyguy

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Status
Physical Therapist
Have you done your 2807 yet? Ideally there should be a prescreen done off of that form that will flag potential issues. Sometimes MEPS will want medical documentation prior to even showing up (which happened to me, not for an ortho issue but it still caused massive delays). Other times they will let you go through the physical then require a waiver to give the official thumbs up. Definitely push your recruiter like crazy to get the MEPS stuff done ASAP. The last thing you want is to get lost in a pile of other applicants, which can easily happen.

I know for a fact that there are people in the program right now with past ortho surgeries so it's definitely possible. I would also check out DoD Instruction 6130.03. It provides the general guideline that MEPS uses for medical screening. I don't know what your particular issue is but from a quick glance it looks like it depends on the type of surgery and whether you have reduced ROM.

DPT0311

2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
It looks like we are on the home stretch! Good luck everyone!

armybaylor_or_bust

2+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2016
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Have you done your 2807 yet? Ideally there should be a prescreen done off of that form that will flag potential issues. Sometimes MEPS will want medical documentation prior to even showing up (which happened to me, not for an ortho issue but it still caused massive delays). Other times they will let you go through the physical then require a waiver to give the official thumbs up. Definitely push your recruiter like crazy to get the MEPS stuff done ASAP. The last thing you want is to get lost in a pile of other applicants, which can easily happen.

I know for a fact that there are people in the program right now with past ortho surgeries so it's definitely possible. I would also check out DoD Instruction 6130.03. It provides the general guideline that MEPS uses for medical screening. I don't know what your particular issue is but from a quick glance it looks like it depends on the type of surgery and whether you have reduced ROM.
I haven't applied yet; I plan to apply in July. I have full ROM and strength.

fty26

2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2016
Has there been any updates on the timeline yet? When the board meets? When applicants will be notified?