ARMY BOARD May 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbcJuly

Crimping For Life
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am beyond excited that I was able to obtain my medical waiver and get FAP approved to be looked at by the Army board in May. I am just wondering what are my chances at this point of actually getting a commission for psychiatry? I didn't ask that question until now because I sorta assumed that they really needed neuropsychiatrists, but ... ?? Anyone want to weigh in on commissioning rates?

Members don't see this ad.

No one wants to share anything about percentage of civilian residents getting accepted to FAP?

I don't think people are holding out on you; I just think no one really knows the answer. As much as it's espoused on this forum, FAP remains an uncommon way to join military medicine. My uninformed guess is that they probably wouldn't have let you get to the point of board unless there is a pretty good chance, particularly if a recruiter was involved whose performance is based upon the board's outcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I did AF FAP for IM so your mileage may vary. The recruiter should have access to a list of how many slots are funded for each specialty per year. He also told me that time plays a role, so the faster you get in the better your chances as there is a rolling admit component after they start meeting. There is an interview which plays a big role, and that person has to sign off. At the end though, a significant number of FAP slots go unfilled, but are already funded, so they will shift slots to other specialties if the applicant pool doesn't match.

As far as the medical waiver, it really is black or white. If you get the waiver it doesn't affect anything. For the interview, when asked why I wanted to join, I mentioned the service aspect as part of it, and apparently that was his litmus test.

Overall, if you matched, you probably have a pretty decent chance. If FAP fails, just direct commission. They are hurting for doctors so badly as long as you're boarded you're golden from what I hear.

Thanks for feedback. Interesting to digest. I'm nervous about the Board, but I am hoping it will be nothing but a rubber stamp.

StevenRF what was the timeline of the AF FAP board getting back to you about your application? My application goes to them this weekend.

If you can't get a FAP slot, the direct accession bonus for psychiatrists was about $250k, last I saw.

What the heck is a neuropsychiatrist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE** I was made aware that my file was reported today as "Board Selected" and is awaiting SecDef signature on the file. The recruiter was not exactly clear on what that means except that until they sign it nothing is official. So, I should not go celebrate??

It means you got selected and you're in I believe. They have to put you on this scroll thing which they send to the legislature to sign / rubber stamp. You have to sign your contract and also then take the oath of office. That's really about it other than some paperwork stuff.

In that case I'm going to go celebrate tomorrow with friends as I'm on call Friday. :)

I was under the impression the accession bonus was only offered to the Navy right now.

Last edited: