Army BOLC 2012 dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rlow04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the situation:

I'm at Midwestern-AZ, class of 2015 with an Army HPSP 4 year scholarship. At MWU-AZ we get our first summer off (3 months) to study for the boards. Since boards are now pass/fail, I don't need 3 months to take boards so I can do the 6 week BOLC training. I signed up for BOLC in December, but I won't hear back until late April if I'm in.

But now I'm having second thoughts because of two things:

1. They're shortening BOLC to 26 days instead of 6 weeks starting 2013 according to this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=860147

And here's the full quote:
"In the recent past the BOLC seats for Dental Corps have been very limited except for those who are graduating and enroute to their first duty assignment (we ALWAYS have room for graduates).

Starting in 2013 the business practice is going to change dramatically. In 2013, BOLC will be offered to HPSP students twice during the spring/summer. There will be a mandatory online portion that will be completed prior to attendace in San Antonio. The attendace portion will be shortened to 26 days from the current 42.

By shortening the time away from school and offering it in two different timeframes, our hope is to move away from the current practice and move back to making it mandatory while in HPSP."

2. I've heard rumors that the Army is going to change uniforms sometime in the next few years. I've spoken with an HPSP grad who did BOLC before dental school and bought his uniform then. But by the time he'd graduated, there were new uniforms and he had to buy them again, but this time out of pocket...

At MWU we get our first summer off, but we don't get any other summers off. If they make BOLC "mandatory while in HPSP" does that mean we'd have to miss time at school to go get trained for 4 weeks? I'd rather not miss time in clinic to do training. Has anyone known someone who was forced to do BOLC during school instead of at the end of the 4 years, even though it took them away from their program? Our Dean says that one student from a prior year declined to do BOLC their first year during our break and they were forced to do it between their second and third year and miss the first 6 weeks of clinic.

I'd prefer to do BOLC after dental school so I only have to do 4 weeks and to avoid having to buy uniforms twice. But as I write this, I'll probably do it this summer to avoid being pulled out of school and falling behind in clinic.

Sorry for the long post. I know that working for the Army means living with uncertainty and that this might all be just speculation, but does anyone have more information on any of this? Or advice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I seriously doubt you would be pulled out of school for BOLC. Why would the Army pay for you to be trained only to negatively affect your training by causing you to miss a significant portion of school.

As far as I know, most of us will be heading to BOLC immediately after graduation.

Here's the situation:

I'm at Midwestern-AZ, class of 2015 with an Army HPSP 4 year scholarship. At MWU-AZ we get our first summer off (3 months) to study for the boards. Since boards are now pass/fail, I don't need 3 months to take boards so I can do the 6 week BOLC training. I signed up for BOLC in December, but I won't hear back until late April if I'm in.

But now I'm having second thoughts because of two things:

1. They're shortening BOLC to 26 days instead of 6 weeks starting 2013 according to this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=860147

And here's the full quote:

2. I've heard rumors that the Army is going to change uniforms sometime in the next few years. I've spoken with an HPSP grad who did BOLC before dental school and bought his uniform then. But by the time he'd graduated, there were new uniforms and he had to buy them again, but this time out of pocket...

At MWU we get our first summer off, but we don't get any other summers off. If they make BOLC "mandatory while in HPSP" does that mean we'd have to miss time at school to go get trained for 4 weeks? I'd rather not miss time in clinic to do training. Has anyone known someone who was forced to do BOLC during school instead of at the end of the 4 years, even though it took them away from their program? Our Dean says that one student from a prior year declined to do BOLC their first year during our break and they were forced to do it between their second and third year and miss the first 6 weeks of clinic.

I'd prefer to do BOLC after dental school so I only have to do 4 weeks and to avoid having to buy uniforms twice. But as I write this, I'll probably do it this summer to avoid being pulled out of school and falling behind in clinic.

Sorry for the long post. I know that working for the Army means living with uncertainty and that this might all be just speculation, but does anyone have more information on any of this? Or advice? Thanks!
Army will not force you to do OBLC. There is enough demand from graduating students that the classes will fill up in the summer if you don't sign up for it ahead of time.

It's always possible they may bring out new uniforms within the next 4 years, but I wouldn't base my whole decision on doing OBLC around having to get new uniforms 4 yrs later. My 2 cents is that it will be a much easier transition to go from school to first duty station then to also have to coordinate a stop-over at OBLC in between. But that's just me. I'd do it if you have the chance.

I haven't heard anything about new uniforms on the horizon yet and I'm active duty.

Members don't see this ad :)

Update: Army to Recommend MultiCam for Entire Force
http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/06/28/army-to-recommend-multicam-for-entire-force.html?ESRC=army.nl