Army Dental HPSP - Class of 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I first named this thread as "Army HPSP - Dilemma" but I decided to change it to the current name. It seems like there's no HPSP thread for dental students class of 2022 yet. So while I'm asking for my concerns, why don't we all share what we got!

Here's my story:
Made the cut for 4 yrs Army HPSP. I was passively fed up the info from the recruiter so I didn't expect this "good news" until today. Here's my dilemma tho:

- Turned down all the private schools' offers because I thought I was using my GI Bill Chapter 33. I still don't regret my decision but could have more apples on my table if I found this out earlier :p. By attending a public school with the benefit I already earned, I'll end up with ~70k in debt at the end of my 4th year and thought about buying a house in the school's area.

- Will be a GI for another 8 yrs. The 4 yrs while in school seems like a joke to me but the 4 yrs after school. What's the opportunity cost? I know what Army dentists make. Base pay, haz pay, BAH, bonuses from G1, lowe tax bracket, etc. I don't mind being a soldier for another 4 yrs, especially as a dental officer. Yet, how's the market looks like as a general dentist? If I continue living in NY-NJ-CT tristate area and make <150k as a general dentist with <5 yrs experience, Army is quite a sweet deal, even monetarily. Asking this question cuz I never shadowed a civilian doctor.

- What's the chance for being a specialized doc? Is it "easier" as an Army dentist? Will I get paid based on what O-3s get paid? How much longer will I owe to Uncle Sam? I don't want to serve for another 15 yrs cuz I want my own business. Gotta use my business degree somehow lol! I know I should ask this to my recruiter but what I've learned for past 6 yrs dealing with this organization is: never trust your recruiter 100%, always conduct your own research on the side. Yet, they ARE the most reliable source of information on my list.

Bottom Line:
- Financial benefits while in school: HPSP beats GI Bill by ~50-100k; I will earn some non-taxable incomes by utilizing GI Bill. Don't wanna give myself a hard number right now.
- Can I "downgrade" Uncle Sam's offer to 3 yrs?
- Does the market around NYC look good? Do people make 140k+/yr for first 5 yrs as a general dentist?
- How is it like getting specialized through AMEDD?

Please pitch in your inputs! I want to hear from everyone: future D-students, current students, current doctors, HPSP recipients, non recipient CPTs MAJs, etc. If you got accepted by HPSP this cycle, please join! I can tell you how's the Army life in general :D, even though I served as an NCO.

And I'll post whatever useful info I find out.

Members don't see this ad.

I first named this thread as "Army HPSP - Dilemma" but I decided to change it to the current name. It seems like there's no HPSP thread for dental students class of 2022 yet. So while I'm asking for my concerns, why don't we all share what we got!

Here's my story:
Made the cut for 4 yrs Army HPSP. I was passively fed up the info from the recruiter so I didn't expect this "good news" until today. Here's my dilemma tho:

- Turned down all the private schools' offers because I thought I was using my GI Bill Chapter 33. I still don't regret my decision but could have more apples on my table if I found this out earlier :p. By attending a public school with the benefit I already earned, I'll end up with ~70k in debt at the end of my 4th year and thought about buying a house in the school's area.

- Will be a GI for another 8 yrs. The 4 yrs while in school seems like a joke to me but the 4 yrs after school. What's the opportunity cost? I know what Army dentists make. Base pay, haz pay, BAH, bonuses from G1, lowe tax bracket, etc. I don't mind being a soldier for another 4 yrs, especially as a dental officer. Yet, how's the market looks like as a general dentist? If I continue living in NY-NJ-CT tristate area and make <150k as a general dentist with <5 yrs experience, Army is quite a sweet deal, even monetarily. Asking this question cuz I never shadowed a civilian doctor.

- What's the chance for being a specialized doc? Is it "easier" as an Army dentist? Will I get paid based on what O-3s get paid? How much longer will I owe to Uncle Sam? I don't want to serve for another 15 yrs cuz I want my own business. Gotta use my business degree somehow lol! I know I should ask this to my recruiter but what I've learned for past 6 yrs dealing with this organization is: never trust your recruiter 100%, always conduct your own research on the side. Yet, they ARE the most reliable source of information on my list.

Bottom Line:
- Financial benefits while in school: HPSP beats GI Bill by ~50-100k; I will earn some non-taxable incomes by utilizing GI Bill. Don't wanna give myself a hard number right now.
- Can I "downgrade" Uncle Sam's offer to 3 yrs?
- Does the market around NYC look good? Do people make 140k+/yr for first 5 yrs as a general dentist?
- How is it like getting specialized through AMEDD?

Please pitch in your inputs! I want to hear from everyone: future D-students, current students, current doctors, HPSP recipients, non recipient CPTs MAJs, etc. If you got accepted by HPSP this cycle, please join! I can tell you how's the Army life in general :D, even though I served as an NCO.

And I'll post whatever useful info I find out.

Somewhat similar situation here except I chose MDSSP for the reasons you touch on. Instead of owing them 4 active years I will owe 8 more reserve years. Yeah I will graduate with some debt but the earning potential in civilian world outweighs that. The army will give me the stipend + drill pay during the 4 years of dental school and I will only owe them 8 reserve years which will put me at 21 years by the end of the contract. To me, Army Dentist make ok pay but I'm confident I can do better. My current plan is to associate 1-2 years out of dental school and then go into private practice. If I had done the HPSP it probably be closer to 5-6 years out of dental school before I had my own practice, 3 - 4 years longer than what I'm planning for now. To me that is some significant opportunity cost in terms of dollars and ownership.

Somewhat similar situation here except I chose MDSSP for the reasons you touch on. Instead of owing them 4 active years I will owe 8 more reserve years. Yeah I will graduate with some debt but the earning potential in civilian world outweighs that. The army will give me the stipend + drill pay during the 4 years of dental school and I will only owe them 8 reserve years which will put me at 21 years by the end of the contract. To me, Army Dentist make ok pay but I'm confident I can do better. My current plan is to associate 1-2 years out of dental school and then go into private practice. If I had done the HPSP it probably be closer to 5-6 years out of dental school before I had my own practice, 3 - 4 years longer than what I'm planning for now. To me that is some significant opportunity cost in terms of dollars and ownership.

Cool. Are/were you an echo? And I wonder how will the new BRS will work on me. BTW, are you talking about MDSSP option with a career counselor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Are/were you an echo? And I wonder how will the new BRS will work on me. BTW, are you talking about MDSSP option with a career counselor?
I'm not really sure what you're asking? I'm in the MDSSP now. From my understanding you have the ability to opt into the new retirement system until Dec. 31, 2018. It's only people who join after 1 Jan. 2018 who are forced into the new system.

Last edited:
SGT LGM You might find this interesting and I hope it helps. There is 2002 HPSP info on the SDN sub-forum called "Military Dentistry" ... this sub-forum is under the heading "Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists Forum".

In that Military Dentistry forum there is a 2022 thread "When Do You Find Out the Results, for Army HPSP" - Here's a link:
When do you find out the results for Army HPSP

I was there in part because I was offered the Army and Navy HPSP - I have decided to go Navy.

I had a question on that thread, but got no response - perhaps I can get one here...
Does anyone know how many HPSP dental scholarships are being awarded this year by each branch? Army? Navy? Air Force?
I think I read in past years that it was 70 by the Army - 40 by the Navy - and 15 by the Air Force.
Is that even remotely accurate?

Reactions: 1 user
SGT LGM You might find this interesting and I hope it helps. There is 2002 HPSP info on the SDN sub-forum called "Military Dentistry" ... this sub-forum is under the heading "Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists Forum".

In that Military Dentistry forum there is a 2022 thread "When Do You Find Out the Results, for Army HPSP" - Here's a link:

I was there in part because I was offered the Army and Navy HPSP - I have decided to go Navy.

I had a question on that thread, but got no response - perhaps I can get one here...
Does anyone know how many HPSP dental scholarships are being awarded this year by each branch? Army? Navy? Air Force?
I think I read in past years that it was 70 by the Army - 40 by the Navy - and 15 by the Air Force.

I was told by my recruiter when I was going through the process for this cycle that Army was taking about 115 applicants (rough number, this was ~3 months ago). I wasn't able to make the 4 year hpsp deadline and haven't spoken to my recruiter in a while since school started up and I'm out of state.

Your best best is to check with a recruiter, these numbers will fluctuate constantly. Last I heard from my recruiter there were approximately 65 HPSP slots and 5 MDSSP slots for the Army.

I'm not really sure what you're asking? I'm in the MDSSP now. From my understanding you have the ability to opt into the new retirement system until Dec. 31, 2018. It's only people who join after 1 Jan. 2018 who are forced into the new system.

You mentioned about being 21 years in the service by the end of the contract, so I assumed that you were 68E or have a similar MOS. I decided to opt into BRS before I ETS, which is not reversible.

You mentioned about being 21 years in the service by the end of the contract, so I assumed that you were 68E or have a similar MOS. I decided to opt into BRS before I ETS, which is not reversible.

Nope 74D. I could see how BRS is a good deal if you're active and contribute enough starting at an early age and you don't plan on doing 20 years but I don't plan on opting into it. Why did you opt into it right before you ETS?

4 Year HPSP Army Scholarship- I was accepted a couple weeks ago. I also was accepted into a 3 calendar year dental school starting summer 2018. Is it possible to apply my 4 year scholarship to this 3 year school?