Army dental hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beachmascboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

My application for the 4yr hpsp for the army was reviewed last Tuesday. I have been accepted into dental school and haven't heard back. My recruiter told me probably by the end of this month. After my physical exam, my application was set to complete. He said the army is still open.

My question is.. What are the chances of being accepted into hpsp? I heard they conducted interviews (according to previous forums)?? Please let me know. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to give you my honest opinion. Chances are slim to nil.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=809864

To sum it up, there were about 11 scholarships that were available for the March board. Another 10 or so scholarships were "pending" or "processing". It is very likely that all ~21 were taken by the time your app was reviewed in April.

Of course, you'll hear fluffy comments from the recruiter about how you have a "good chance" but realistically you do not. Unless someone who got it declines or someone who is processing does not receive a d-school acceptance and is forced to give it up. Again, my opinion. Best of luck though. Update this thread if you end up getting it :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thx.. I talked to a receptionist and he told he's only seen one person in a span of a decade working with hsps for the army not get it. He told me that this one applicant had criminal records which disqualified him.

Did you do your physical with the army? Which dental school are you going to? Co 2015?

I'm going to give you my honest opinion. Chances are slim to nil.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=809864

To sum it up, there were about 11 scholarships that were available for the March board. Another 10 or so scholarships were "pending" or "processing". It is very likely that all ~21 were taken by the time your app was reviewed in April.

Of course, you'll hear fluffy comments from the recruiter about how you have a "good chance" but realistically you do not. Unless someone who got it declines or someone who is processing does not receive a d-school acceptance and is forced to give it up. Again, my opinion. Best of luck though. Update this thread if you end up getting it :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thx.. I talked to a receptionist and he told he's only seen one person in a span of a decade working with hsps for the army not get it. He told me that this one applicant had criminal records which disqualified him.

Did you do your physical with the army? Which dental school are you going to? Co 2015?

I would agree with Durian at this point. April is becoming late in the game for HPSP, and my guess is that you will likely be put on the waiting list.

Yeah, I already had my physical, was given the 'all clear,' applied to the Army HPSP and was seen in the April boards as well. But it's sort of hopeless at this point (for both of us) and we both just need to cross our fingers haha.

I mean, there's nothing else we can do now. We already submitted our apps so it's not like I'm trying to dissuade you from applying. If you read Santiago's thread, it seems that all the 4 year HPSPs were given and they're just waiting for their scrolls to return to make it official.

Possible scenario (although this is unlikely - depends on the year/luck) is that we are awarded a 3.5 or 3 year HPSP when the new fiscal year arrives in October. And I'm going to UCLA c/o 2015 :D

Yeah, I already had my physical, was given the 'all clear,' applied to the Army HPSP and was seen in the April boards as well. But it's sort of hopeless at this point (for both of us) and we both just need to cross our fingers haha.

I mean, there's nothing else we can do now. We already submitted our apps so it's not like I'm trying to dissuade you from applying. If you read Santiago's thread, it seems that all the 4 year HPSPs were given and they're just waiting for their scrolls to return to make it official.

Possible scenario (although this is unlikely - depends on the year/luck) is that we are awarded a 3.5 or 3 year HPSP when the new fiscal year arrives in October. And I'm going to UCLA c/o 2015 :D

wow..... awesome! ucla is a bomb school... congrats! i have several people i know who go there/graduated from their dental program. amazing dentists... keep me updated on your hpsp status!

best of luck.