Army HPSP, does it cover the cost of a laptop?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatsby121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The school i will be attending does not require us to buy a laptop from them however im obviously going to need to buy one. Will the Army HPSP scholarship reimburse me for this? my recruiter says she thinks they will but i will have to ask my liaison (which i have not been given contact info for yet). My recruiter said that if the school requires us to purchase a laptop then it is for sure covered. id really hope that they would reimburse those who have to buy their own. Does anyone know?

Members don't see this ad.

nope. that's what your monthly stipend is for (other educational costs not otherwise covered by the scholarship).

Members don't see this ad :)
HPSP strictly covers things that are required by the school of dentistry. Go on MODs and read the handbook for more detailed information.

I tried to get reimbursed for loupes so I sent in the receipt and the Army immediately asked for a letter from the school stating that this item was mandatory for the program. Without the letter, they won't cover it. And the school wants to keep costs low on paper so they won't require extra things like loupes and laptops.

The good news is that right out of school, the Army bought me a nice pair of loupes, and I use them every day.

No, HPSP only covers what is required by the school.

This may seem merely like semantics, but in this case the semantics really count.
The Army HPSP will pay for AUTHORIZED fees, AUTORIZED equipment, and AUTORIZED books. Authorized by the Army not the school. Not recommended by the school, and certainly not required by the school. There are many dental schools that REQUIRE a certain laptop and software that the Army does not reimburse on CDWs. There are many fees (transportation, childcare, etc.) that are required and not reimbursed on CDW. And, don't even try a review book it won't happen.

I tried to get reimbursed for loupes so I sent in the receipt and the Army immediately asked for a letter from the school stating that this item was mandatory for the program.

The HPSP office is moving away from asking for a letter from your school stating theat X-Y-Z is a requirement. More often than not they will want to see something along the lines of a publication (student handbook) that outlines each and every student must purchase something like loupes or a camera. As I’ve stated earlier, in most cases The HPSP office usually KNOWS if it is required of all students. You can get a letter signed by the Dean, the Registrar, your Congressman or the Man-In--The-Moon - if it is not REQUIRED OF ALL STUDENTS plan on spending your stipend.

The good news is that right out of school, the Army bought me a nice pair of loupes, and I use them every day.

It is my understanding that the Dental Corps does this ONLY if the Army did not buy your loupes while in HPSP... I could be wrong, but I'm 99% certain.

Reactions: 1 user
My school requires the purchase of a computer but HPSP still does not cover it. Be sure to read the manual to see what is covered. Regional board exams are also not covered, which typically run about $2000.

Can someone fill me in on whether or not the Army will reimburse you for health insurance while you are in school? If so, how is this done? Thanks

Sir, PM me - I'll need to look up your user profile in order to grant access.

The military will not cover a laptop for security purposes they told me. The Navy did reimburse me for my orascoptic loupes and light, around $1200. They also reimbursed me for my health insurance up to the amount that the schools required insurance cost, so $2400 per year, and that is explained in the handbook. I have 3 buddies doing the Army scholarship and they have not had as much luck getting certain things reimbursed as I have with the Navy, but then again I don't think they tried as hard as I did too. Any time I ever paid for anything I submitted it and if it didn't get reimbursed I challenged it. They don't try to jip you but some things you submit need further explanation and some people don't bother with it but a hundred dollars here and there adds up.

The school i will be attending does not require us to buy a laptop from them however im obviously going to need to buy one. Will the Army HPSP scholarship reimburse me for this? my recruiter says she thinks they will but i will have to ask my liaison (which i have not been given contact info for yet). My recruiter said that if the school requires us to purchase a laptop then it is for sure covered. id really hope that they would reimburse those who have to buy their own. Does anyone know?
I got reimbursed for my laptop from the Air Force, up to $500/year. I just needed to provided a letter from the dean or page from the student handbook to prove it was required by my school. I'm glad I ended up renting, I'd recommend it if you aren't currently renting. www.laptopsformilitarydocs.com