Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2012
Status
Medical Student
So I hadn't really considered entering into any military scholarship programs and now I am very interested, but I know it's getting late to try to get into an HPSP program for this academic year.

I'm trying to get ahold of an Army medical recruiter to find out if starting this year is possible and ask some questions. I'm in Colorado (in the Denver area). Does anybody know how I can get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP?

I also have some questions that current HPSP students may be able to answer:

Can take a civilian residency after graduation & complete active duty upon completion of residency?
Must a person accept a military residency if offered (if a civilian residency is also offered)?
I’ve heard that if a person did a four year civilian residency then went on to complete their active duty, the four years would be counted toward total time of service but not toward active duty time. Is this correct?
Can I actually be accepted and go through paperwork etc. for this year if my classes start in July?
What (approximately) would my monthy stipend be?

dr zaius

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I believe it is too late to receive the scholarship to pay for medical school for 2012-2013. You would be able to apply for 2013-2014 though.

If you're looking to do a civilian residency with the Army you're out of luck. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than a civilian deferment. You do have a better chance of going straight through internship and residency than the other branches.

Mil match is before the civilian match. Yes, you have to accept the mil match. If you're in the other branches your match could be a civilian deferment, in which case you go to a civilian residency.

Residency does not count towards your active duty obligation. That begins after residency.

I believe the selection boards for this year have already met. If I remember right the last one is usually in April.

Find your recruiter here

Under area of interest select AMEDD.

Go check out the military medicine subforum. It's a wealth of knowledge. The scholarship isn't something to take lightly and the info on the forums will allow you to decide if it is right for you.

J-Rad

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2003
With my Children Of The Corn
Status
Attending Physician
So I hadn't really considered entering into any military scholarship programs and now I am very interested, but I know it's getting late to try to get into an HPSP program for this academic year.

I'm trying to get ahold of an Army medical recruiter to find out if starting this year is possible and ask some questions. I'm in Colorado (in the Denver area). Does anybody know how I can get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP?

I also have some questions that current HPSP students may be able to answer:

Can take a civilian residency after graduation & complete active duty upon completion of residency?

You have to apply for military residency. You can request deferral (which means you are not on active duty during residency and are paid by the residency program itself) to a civilian residency which is by no means guaranteed (and is least likely in the Army given the number of residencies and positions in Army med). Even if you apply to civilian residencies and military residencies, if you are selected for one in the military you are obligated to take it and remove yourself from the civilian match (.mil match is in mid december, osteopathic in February, and ACGME in March). There are rare occasions in which people are selected for "civilian sponsored" (Full Time Out Service [FTOS] in Navy parlance) training (this is more typical for fellowships rather than residency). In this scenario you are allowed to apply to and train in a civilian residency and you are still active duty getting your primary paycheck from the military as well as accruing addition time-debt to the service.

Must a person accept a military residency if offered (if a civilian residency is also offered)?

Yes

I’ve heard that if a person did a four year civilian residency then went on to complete their active duty, the four years would be counted toward total time of service but not toward active duty time. Is this correct?

This I will not answer authoritatively. I do not believe you get time in service credit for the time in deferred status (in the unlikely scenario of a deferred residency). TIS affects your pay (goes up every two years you are in). If you are deferred you are not getting any active duty time that is creditable toward retirement.

Can I actually be accepted and go through paperwork etc. for this year if my classes start in July?

I suspect that this is unlikley. You should probably be looking at 3 year plans.

What (approximately) would my monthy stipend be?

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/education/hpsp.html
I put in a link in your other thread.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status
Attending Physician
cross posted. Closing this thread. Interested users may reply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.