Army HPSP packet still waiting on waiver; will spots fill up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoverOfPie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey MilMed!

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a handful of schools as early as November and my Army HPSP packet was complete by February. However, because I had a low undergrad GPA (engineering, was remedied by master's coursework, seems like a moot point because I was accepted into med school), the app was sent to the BA to get a waiver. It's almost May and it still hasn't been waived. Do you think spots for the 4 year Army HPSP scholarship will fill up? I'm already talking to my recruiter about starting the 3-year HPSP application

Wondering if anyone had a similar experience/if there is still hope for me to grab a 4 year HPSP spot. Thanks y'all

Edit: MEPS and everything else already complete

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MilMed!

I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a handful of schools as early as November and my Army HPSP packet was complete by February. However, because I had a low undergrad GPA (engineering, was remedied by master's coursework, seems like a moot point because I was accepted into med school), the app was sent to the BA to get a waiver. It's almost May and it still hasn't been waived. Do you think spots for the 4 year Army HPSP scholarship will fill up? I'm already talking to my recruiter about starting the 3-year HPSP application

Wondering if anyone had a similar experience/if there is still hope for me to grab a 4 year HPSP spot. Thanks y'all

Edit: MEPS and everything else already complete
Did you apply for USAF and USN also?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only interested in Army HPSP so unfortunately, I did not apply to USAF and USN HPSP
Sorry to side track. May I ask why army? I’ve had tunnel vision on navy but looks like it won’t work out due to bad timing with spots filling up. Army still has spots but I’ve had a tough time finding it appealing. And mainly my wife wants to live by the ocean in nice weather, haha.

Sorry to side track. May I ask why army? I’ve had tunnel vision on navy but looks like it won’t work out due to bad timing with spots filling up. Army still has spots but I’ve had a tough time finding it appealing. And mainly my wife wants to live by the ocean in nice weather, haha.
Sure! Army has a much wider variety of specialties available than the Navy and Air Force, and Army docs have a very high first-choice match rate for their chosen specialties. I could be wrong but I also believe there are more opportunities for promotion in the Army. Additionally, I know that my personality meshes better with Army than Navy or AF. Finally, I have friends/mentors in the Army.

With all of those things combined, I'm ok with being in a desert with sand up my crack. I need a tan anyways.

Here's a branch selection PDF I received from USU that might help you make the right choice for you.

Attachments

• BranchSelection.pdf
    766.4 KB · Views: 131
I was just talking to my recruiter and he was showing me some tracker saying that they had like 100+ slots left. And based on prior years and rates, he was 100% confident that they would not meet mission.

Reactions: 1 user