SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Army HPSP: possibility of Howard Hughes fellowship?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by virtu, May 10, 2008.

1. virtu

virtu 5+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2006
    What's the likelihood of getting an exception to pursue a Howard Hughes fellowship as an Army HPSP med student?

Does anyone know of anyone who's been able to get a year off to do research/addtl. studies during their medical school years?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. NavyFP

NavyFP Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 18, 2006
    Manning a Cubicle
    Probably near zero, but if you don't ask it will be zero.
  4. Jolie South

Jolie South is invoking Domo. . . Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I don't know about the Army, but in my AF contract and on the AFIT website they're pretty adamant about not letting HPSP people take time off for research.
  5. ieatpizza

ieatpizza 10+ Year Member

Feb 14, 2007
    It will be difficult because the Howard Hughes fellowship will not result in a degree, but it's a prestigious fellowship that might be enough to convince the Army to grant you a leave of absence. I'm considering something similar right now (but with a degree), and have decided that applying for it, although a lot of work, is worth it. If you straight up ask them before you apply and get accepted, they, of course, are going to say no. But if you apply, get accepted, and badger them, they might let you do it. I know of one person who did an MPH that way: applied for a fellowship, got it, and then had to do a lot of calling around for the Army to let her take a year off.

Here's a previous post in which I asked a similar question and referred to relevant threads:
  6. eaglesf

Feb 5, 2008
    I was a navy hpsp and i was able to get a year off for Howard Hughes cloister program. I contacted the Navy HPSP coordinator in bethesda, applied and the committee approved. While I was interviewing for the Cloister program I informed that my accepting the fellowship would depend on Navy's approval. I'm lucky that it all turned out ok. Good luck. I would definitely recommend to try and keep asking and calling about status.
  7. virtu

virtu 5+ Year Member

Nov 22, 2006
    thanks for the replies guys (gals)