Jan 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I was awarded both the Army and Navy HPSP scholarships and need to decide soon on which to accept. I'm surprised not to find any threads on this so I'm starting a new one. If anyone can add their input on the differences between the two, then that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Could you elaborate on the differences in culture, opportunities, quality of clinical experience, moonlighting chances in civilian dentistry, etc.?

In case if this info helps. I'm not sure if I will specialize. I'm leaning 70% general dentistry, 30% specialty. I plan to reside and practice in CA after the military.

krmower

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I was in your same situation. Good luck in your decision. A lot of threads in here that go through the different services. Lots of material to help you in your decision.

About the Ads
Jan 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I was in your same situation. Good luck in your decision. A lot of threads in here that go through the different services. Lots of material to help you in your decision.

Could you share why you chose Army over Navy? I'm sure you had similar concerns to mine.

Kabek

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Could you share why you chose Army over Navy? I'm sure you had similar concerns to mine.

I was also in the position to choose between both. During the application process I was hoping for the Army but would have gladly accepted the position with the water boys.

Luckily, it worked out as the thought of wearing the whites makes me cringe.

Check the top 3 threads about asking an Army/Air Force/Navy dentist as their is an abundance of information about your concerns.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I was also in the position to choose between both. During the application process I was hoping for the Army but would have gladly accepted the position with the water boys.

Luckily, it worked out as the thought of wearing the whites makes me cringe.

Check the top 3 threads about asking an Army/Air Force/Navy dentist as their is an abundance of information about your concerns.

I would rather wear the white officer uniforms of the Navy any day than the long sleeve camouflage officer uniforms of Army that look like you're playing paintball. I kinda laugh every time I visit my Army recruiter.

I'll check out those threads, thanks.

Tiankum

7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I would rather wear the white officer uniforms of the Navy any day than the long sleeve camouflage officer uniforms of Army that look like you're playing paintball. I kinda laugh every time I visit my Army recruiter.

I'll check out those threads, thanks.

I had an option for both Army and Navy as well....my wife really wanted me to go Navy...for the uniforms and the locations of the bases.

eric275

Prosthodontist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Do you mind spending weeks to months on end on a ship? That answered it for me. :D

Lol, ya because spending that same amount of time in a tent or sleeping in the dirt is waaaaay better. Not to mention you may also get the chance to ride in a convoy!

There are pros and cons to any situation.

Tiankum

7+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Lol, ya because spending that same amount of time in a tent or sleeping in the dirt is waaaaay better. Not to mention you may also get the chance to ride in a convoy!

There are pros and cons to any situation.

Well said.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.