Army HPSP??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BamaAlum

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the deadline for the Army HPSP. I am interested in applying but I am afraid I have missed the deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the Army HPSP selection board meets one more time for the year in April. I'd check with a recruiter ASAP if you're interested.

Do you have to take the USMLE or COMLEX to get a residency in the military?

Members don't see this ad :)
They accept either the COMLEX or the USMLE, but if you're a DO student, you must take the COMLEX (they pay for steps I and II). Whether it is advantageous to take USMLE as well, I don't know. Anyone else have any idea on this?

Has anyone heard back recently about Army HPSP decisions? I put in my application in March but haven't heard anything?

Has anyone heard back recently about Army HPSP decisions? I put in my application in March but haven't heard anything?

My application went through the March meeting and I heard back a week ago that I got it. Good Luck!!!

I am applying for the May 5th board. I go to BAMC in a couple weeks for a physical and tour. Has anyone done this and if so, what exactly did you do the whole time? How long did it take to hear back after the board met to see if you were accepted? Thanks

Just if you all didnt know there is a seperate forum called military medicine out on the Forums main page. If you post that question there I am pretty sure they can get you the answer very quickly.

Yea I knew there was a seperate military med forum. I've had a few threads on there. I was asking these folk specifically since they were talking about it and I didn't think there would be an issue with it.

I am going to try to answer two questions with one post:

1. The HPSP deadline varies according to your specialty and the relevant board dates, and some specialties like Optometry and Psychology only have one board per year. Medical, Dental, and Vet board periodically throughout the year (at least for Army) until all openings are filled.

2. The PE Tour to Ft. Sam & BAMC takes about 3 days total. The first day is just travel, orientation, and maybe some preliminary stuff for the PE. The second day is the big one where you complete the PE, tour Ft. Sam and BAMC, speak with someone in your field (be sure to ask for this to be included), and usually have dinner on the Riverwalk downtown. The third day may include some more light tour activity, but mostly just finishing up any medical consults, getting other questions answered, and traveling home.

How/where can I sign up for the tour?

be careful about what you read on the military board. i can't dispute that the attendings/residents on there know more about military medicine than i do...but some of them are extremely bitter. ultimately they're right that you're making a bad if you sign up just for the money. you have to like the idea of making a sacrifice for the country which is the reason people should be signing up in the first place.

I know it's kind of late, but I am starting school this fall and am very interested in doing HPSP through the Army. Can anyone help me get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP? I'm in Colorado (and will be going to school in Colorado) if it matters.

I know it's kind of late, but I am starting school this fall and am very interested in doing HPSP through the Army. Can anyone help me get ahold of a medical recruiter ASAP? I'm in Colorado (and will be going to school in Colorado) if it matters.

try your financial aid office, they might have contact with someone.