Army match question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idq1i

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I had a good grip on this, but now I am not so sure.

Let's say I decide to do diag. radiology (or any other specialty, ie NOT IM/PCP/Peds/Obgyn), and let's say that there are 5 army locations that train radiologists.

I fill out my military match application where I rank those 5 choices, but I don't get matched to any. Can the army FORCE me to take some other specialty? Or can they force me into a prelim year in podunkville rather than giving me a deferral?

I do know that having good grades/recs increases my chances. I want to know what the worst case scenario is.

I don't believe any recruiter BS, or the Army's brochures. Does have experience with this? I know that there have been some Navy questions about it, but I'm sure there are some differences

Members don't see this ad.

be sure that you understand the difference between FYGME and residency. The Army (as the other forces) makes a distinction between your internship (FYGME) and residency. For diagnostic radiology one must do a preliminary clinical year (see below). That means you will be doing a transitional year. The good news is that there are "categorical" preliminary years where you are on the track for the residency after you complete your internship (remember, though, that nothing is guaranteed).

I can't find the information now (the most up to date information was available to those of us matching this year but the website has been closed), but there is a good general Army HPSP website ( http://meded.amedd.army.mil/). Keep in mind that this web page has not been updated in several years (2001), but much of the information is still applicable. These are the FYGME sites available for radiology:

"6) Preliminary Radiology (Diagnostic) at San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium, San Antonio, TX (SAUSHEC), Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, WA, Tripler Army Medical Center, Tripler AMC, Hawaii (TAMC), and National Capital Consortium, Bethesda, MD (NCC). Applicants interested in subsequent training in Radiology (Diagnostic) should indicate these transitional year programs on the preference priority list and indicate Radiology (Diagnostic) as the specialty goal. Radiology is a four year program. "

From what I gather each FYGME program is affiliated with a residency program (usually at the same institution) and one matches into both the FYGME and residency program.

As for the general question (that has been posted here before numerous times - search for the posts, there is a lot of info available), usually what happens is that the Army decides how many people it needs in a specialty and then selects that many for training. If there are fewer training spots in Army programs then their projected need civilian deferments are handed out. If not, then one usually selects a transitional year and tries again. The good news is that a transitional year (as well as a subsequent tour of duty) makes one more competitive for a residency position once the match comes around again.

Hope this helps,

Geo