Army National Guard MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anonymoose._

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm strongly considering joining the Army National Guard as a med student. I'm currently a junior in undergrad applying to med schools this year. (Matriculate Fall 2018.) I go to school in PA right now, but don't know where I will attend med school. Should I begin the process of joining next fall with a PA AMEDD recruiter? or should I wait until I have an acceptance from a school that I know I will attend. My concern is that if it takes six months to get all the paperwork processed, I will likely not get a slot for the DCC in Summer 2018 before med school. Considering I would need to do DCC then BOLC (and they dont seem to line up for the same summer) I would like to do the DCC before MS1 and BOLC after MS1. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if you realize it, but you posted this in a Military DENTAL forum. I don't think very many folks here can really help you. You should consider re-posting your question in the Military Medicine forum, there are several Reserve/National Guard folks who participate there.

Hi everyone,

I'm strongly considering joining the Army National Guard as a med student. I'm currently a junior in undergrad applying to med schools this year. (Matriculate Fall 2018.) I go to school in PA right now, but don't know where I will attend med school. Should I begin the process of joining next fall with a PA AMEDD recruiter? or should I wait until I have an acceptance from a school that I know I will attend. My concern is that if it takes six months to get all the paperwork processed, I will likely not get a slot for the DCC in Summer 2018 before med school. Considering I would need to do DCC then BOLC (and they dont seem to line up for the same summer) I would like to do the DCC before MS1 and BOLC after MS1. Thanks for your help!
Can't commision without the acceptance