Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh come on, sleeping out in the field is fun... :) Being in Afghanistan is like being in the field for a year and half.

I'm just joking with you man. How has your training been thus far? They treating you guys ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Oh come on, sleeping out in the field is fun... :) Being in Afghanistan is like being in the field for a year and half.

I'm just joking with you man. How has your training been thus far? They treating you guys ok?

Actually, it was pretty fun. Our tent is suppossedly heated, but it got pretty darn cold late at night.

They really do treat you with kid gloves...they don't yell or make you do PT even if you screw up big time. They also ensure that you don't fail any of the test...super easy.

Still, I'd rather be in my hotel :laugh:

I remember those air conditioned tents from a few years ago--sure beat the poncho that I used for an extended field stay the time I had been out prior to OBC . . . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the odds of getting a waiver for depression/anxiety on meds?

anyone know the odds of getting a waiver for depression/anxiety on meds?

Someone in my school was on adderall and never made it to MEPS. I'm not real sure of the details surrounding it except that they were told to get off for a year and come back. I'm not sure if this person pursued a waiver or not. So I guess my answer isn't that helpful, sorry.

Does anybody know how many ASR positions are left unfilled at this time? Do they take 200 people per year, or is it 200 for the life of the ASR program?

The recruiter I am working with said the current total in ASR is 78. And yes, that was for last fiscal year. If the program does fill its 200 limit for this fiscal year before your application is reviewed, then you would just be at the top of the list next year.

And FYI the government fiscal year begins 1 OCT.

And FYI the government fiscal year begins 1 OCT.

Yet, the first ASR board of the fiscal year is in December, and you will not get your orders until January, so if you want you can think of it as 200 per regular calendar year. It works either way.

Last week in the field was fun.

Day one was at the gas chamber (you learn to wear gas masks and chemical gear and then have to go into the CS gas chamber and remove your mask inside).

Day two was convoy operations, we rode in a convoy of 8 vehicles and were "attacked" by small arms fire and IED's. We had about 30 blank rounds in our M-16s and were in charge of defending our convoy.They had it set up so stuff was exploding all around us...it was pretty cool.

Day three was urban warfare training, in which we busted down doors and shot at targets with wax bullets in our M-16s. It was like SWAT drills, it was a lot of fun.

All during the week, we were doing combatives for PT...which is were you learn to fight the ARMY way.

Last week in the field was fun.

Day one was at the gas chamber (you learn to wear gas masks and chemical gear and then have to go into the CS gas chamber and remove your mask inside).

Day two was convoy operations, we rode in a convoy of 8 vehicles and were "attacked" by small arms fire and IED's. We had about 30 blank rounds in our M-16s and were in charge of defending our convoy.They had it set up so stuff was exploding all around us...it was pretty cool.

Day three was urban warfare training, in which we busted down doors and shot at targets with wax bullets in our M-16s. It was like SWAT drills, it was a lot of fun.

All during the week, we were doing combatives for PT...which is were you learn to fight the ARMY way.

lol gas chamber? I remember doing that in boot camp. good stuff

So basically this year they only had 38% fill rate in the ASR program? I guess my chances are pretty good then if I sign up for the program around Feb of 2009.

My packet is pretty much complete and waiting to go to AMEDD for approval.

Hey everyone, I have been in the process of applying since August, and My packet has finally been completed. I have been told the National Boards would be running this week and next, and I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about them? Thanks for any info.

Hey everyone, I have been in the process of applying since August, and My packet has finally been completed. I have been told the National Boards would be running this week and next, and I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about them? Thanks for any info.

By national board do you mean the one in your state which if all goes well, you swear in on the spot? I'm not really sure how it works for civilians, but I have to show up wearing my class A's like any other board.

I'll try to give you an idea of the process since I had a very hard time getting someone to accurately describe it to me when i was going through. Once your packet is complete your tech pushes it electronicly up the ladder. Each group that looks at your packet will make sure everything looks good and you'll likely have to make several corrections so that everything is perfect. You have to get pushed to several different places/people to get approved before your packet makes it to the USAREC board at Fort Knox.

USAREC approves or denys you and your technician gets a notification. Your packet then goes to an AMEDD board for approval. They then approve or deny you and your tech gets a notification. At this point you have to schedule a state board where officers from your state will interview you and basically ask "You know what you're getting into right?" Following this you can swear into the guard and go get a uniform.

Once you have sworn in you can then submit a packet to NGB to get an ASR control #. I don't believe they are denying anyone but simply taking the first 200 people who apply each fiscal year.

Members don't see this ad :)
By national board do you mean the one in your state which if all goes well, you swear in on the spot? I'm not really sure how it works for civilians, but I have to show up wearing my class A's like any other board.

Civilians aren't allowed to wear the uniform until after they swear in.

I'll try to give you an idea of the process since I had a very hard time getting someone to accurately describe it to me when i was going through. Once your packet is complete your tech pushes it electronicly up the ladder. Each group that looks at your packet will make sure everything looks good and you'll likely have to make several corrections so that everything is perfect. You have to get pushed to several different places/people to get approved before your packet makes it to the USAREC board at Fort Knox.

USAREC approves or denys you and your technician gets a notification. Your packet then goes to an AMEDD board for approval. They then approve or deny you and your tech gets a notification. At this point you have to schedule a state board where officers from your state will interview you and basically ask "You know what you're getting into right?" Following this you can swear into the guard and go get a uniform.

Once you have sworn in you can then submit a packet to NGB to get an ASR control #. I don't believe they are denying anyone but simply taking the first 200 people who apply each fiscal year.

Good summary, this sounds right.

Civilians aren't allowed to wear the uniform until after they swear in.

Yes I know, so show up in something nice, and not jeans and a polo shirt lol.

Also, shave and sport an appropriate haircut. I heard about about a guy who got denied at that level because he had a pony tail. Pretend you are interviewing for med school (although this will be a lot easier). If you have your heart set on wearing a uniform later that day, get your name tapes made in advance and bring them with.

I just got an interview at that new medical school in PA in Scranton. I was wondering if I join the ASR program would the national guard pay for my tuition? Im not sure if the school is private or public either. The website is www.thecommonwealthmedical.com I believe in the website it says that they get some money from the state. Thanks for any insight.

Done with the field! :soexcited:

Only two more classroom days till graduation!

Done with the field! :soexcited:

Only two more classroom days till graduation!

Nice! Are all of the people in your class med students? What's the average age? How many out of these are prior service?

Just got my first check. :thumbup:
Just finished the pulmonary block exam. :eek:
I've got a babysitter tonight. :luck:
Feeling pretty good. :hardy:

Just got my first check. :thumbup:
Just finished the pulmonary block exam. :eek:
I've got a babysitter tonight. :luck:
Feeling pretty good. :hardy:

:thumbup:

Welcome to the O club

Nice! Are all of the people in your class med students? What's the average age? How many out of these are prior service?

Actually, most are nurses. Doctors are in the minority and I am the only med student. There are more pharmacists than docs.

I'd say average age is 35 ish...we have a couple of 55+ year olds and very few <25

Prior service is about 50/50, which they say is consistent with other classes.

Hey everyone,

My interviews are just starting to come in, but assuming I get in somewhere, I'm very interested in doing ASR. I was curious though, is it possible to go to the line officer version of OCS if you wanted to? Is it possible to go to some of the military courses like Airborne, Ranger, Mountain Warfare, etc. during a summer break if you so desire? Doesn't sway my decision either way, but I'm curious if you can...

Yet, the first ASR board of the fiscal year is in December, and you will not get your orders until January, so if you want you can think of it as 200 per regular calendar year. It works either way.

I just read a memo that says they are now going to have quarterly enrollment cycles for the remainder of FY 09. So the next start dates are:

1 November 2008
1 January 2009
1 April 2009
1 July 2009
1 October 2009

Hey everyone,

My interviews are just starting to come in, but assuming I get in somewhere, I'm very interested in doing ASR. I was curious though, is it possible to go to the line officer version of OCS if you wanted to? Is it possible to go to some of the military courses like Airborne, Ranger, Mountain Warfare, etc. during a summer break if you so desire? Doesn't sway my decision either way, but I'm curious if you can...

I think the person who might be best to ask the question to is a Readiness NCO for a medical unit. If you have some time poke around on this website. I don't think you need a login to just browse. You will have to figure out the certificate issue.

https://atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/

I found this about the ARNG Pre-Ranger course while digging around on there.

https://atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/courseInfo.aspx?fy=2009&sch=964A&crs=PRE-RANGER&phase=&clsFlag=

OFFICER PERSONNEL: Pre-Ranger Training is available on a voluntary basis only for Officers in the following Career Management Fields.

11A o Infantry Officer
12A o Armor Officers allocated against authorized 12C positions.
12C o Calvary Officers
*13A o Fire Support Offices
*14B o Short Range Air Defense Officers
18A o Special Forces Officers
*21B o Combat Engineer Officers

Then there is some discussion of a waiver later on. So I guess the answer is probably not but maybe.

Finally was able to go to MEPS and prove that I'm not an invalid at 36. Packet is to be submitted soon with January for the first board, Feb for the fed board and hopefully be on the April 1st ASR. Fingers still crossed.

I found this about the ARNG Pre-Ranger course while digging around on there.

https://atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/courseInfo.aspx?fy=2009&sch=964A&crs=PRE-RANGER&phase=&clsFlag=

OFFICER PERSONNEL: Pre-Ranger Training is available on a voluntary basis only for Officers in the following Career Management Fields.

11A o Infantry Officer
12A o Armor Officers allocated against authorized 12C positions.
12C o Calvary Officers
*13A o Fire Support Offices
*14B o Short Range Air Defense Officers
18A o Special Forces Officers
*21B o Combat Engineer Officers

Then there is some discussion of a waiver later on. So I guess the answer is probably not but maybe.

IDK, the last time I heard was that all officers were eligible. Not totally sure though. With that said, being able to do this would be the one thing (even over a lot of $$$) that would get me do to active duty after residency--basically just trying to live out a goal I didn't get the chance to do as enlisted infantry (national guard didn't get ranger slots at that time)

With that said, being able to do this would be the one thing (even over a lot of $$$) that would get me do to active duty after residency--basically just trying to live out a goal I didn't get the chance to do as enlisted infantry (national guard didn't get ranger slots at that time)
I wouldn't hold my breath for Ranger training. I know too many folks chomping at the bit for the course and I can't imagine doctors are anything but last priority. As someone who is not allowed to fight in any but the most dire of circumstances, Ranger training would be a pretty big waste, imho. Why take the slot from someone that could actually use it?

Of all the folks on SDN, some of which are pretty hoo-ah, I haven't heard of anyone who was able to get Ranger training after coming in as a physician.

I figured Ranger school would be a no-go, but any info on things like regular OCS or Airborne school?

When I was at OBLC, they were encouraging us to do these other classes like some of them that you mentioned. They also told us to consider the desires of our enlisted men, because we actually get priority for these classes. I wasn't paying much attention because I have no desire to do most of those classes (except flight surgeon).

Hi I have a question about the commitment of the ASR program. If Im enlisted for 8 years, do my 4 years in medical school drilling counts towards this? and if it does doesnt that just leave 4 years of commitment which I could serve in a long residency like surgery which is 6 years? Can I be deployed during residency cause if not I dont see the point of the ARNG giving us the money if they can never get a chance to deploy us. Thanks!

Hi I have a question about the commitment of the ASR program. If Im enlisted for 8 years, do my 4 years in medical school drilling counts towards this?
For ASR, you're coming in as an officer. All officer's incur an 8 year obligation. In the national guard program, you will owe 6 years of drilling or active status. The last two years can be fulfilled either in drilling status, or inactive status.

Your years in medical school count towards the 6 years. You will report to an AMEDD recruiter and have obligations to your recruiter, which though they vary a lot by recruiter. But your first priority is to be a medical student. You will not be in ASR for four years, the maximum time to take the benefits is 3 years. So after medical school, you will owe 3 more years.

After you graduate, you will be promoted to a Captain and will no longer report to a recruiter. You will be in drilling status during residency, meaning you technically owe one weekend per month and two weeks per year. You are eligible for "Flexi-Training" in which you only drill one weekend every three months, but (important) this is up to your Commanding Officer. I would try to meet with my CO first to see if he's on board with this, as drilling one weekend a month during residency could produce some hardship.
and if it does doesnt that just leave 4 years of commitment which I could serve in a long residency like surgery which is 6 years?
So after your three year payback while in medical school, you only owe 3 years drilling service. This would be paid back during any residency (3 years is the minimum length residency). You could technically revert to inactive status after this.
Can I be deployed during residency cause if not I dont see the point of the ARNG giving us the money if they can never get a chance to deploy us. Thanks!
I'll defer this to EMH, iatrosB and amindwalker, as they know more about the program, but from the fine print I've read, you can not be deployed during internship, but this is not true for the rest of residency.

That said (and the others can answer this with more authority), I don't believe the NG has activated any officers from residency. If World War III comes down the pipe, all bets are off, but I personally would not be worried about this at the current tempo.

The NG has much better retention rates than the regular military. I believe that the logic behind the program is that if they offer this scholarship up to enough people, folks will like the NG and stay in. Most officers I know in the Guard (though not from ASR) have made a career out of it. This is definitely not the case of most folks I know in the regular Army.

Last edited:
One addition to the above, Prince...

After completing the three years of ASR during med school, you only technically owe 3 years of drilling. Then you can go to inactive for the final two years of your obligation.

That said, I personally would consider obligation to be eight years, not six. The others may disagree, but here's my logic:

If you do your six and go on inactive reserve for the final two years, you are eligible for call-back. If you are called back, you will be called back not to the National Guard, but to the Army. The Army deployments can be 12 or 15 months.

In the National Guard, on the other hand, the current deployment policy is 3 months boots-in-sand (or four months total, given time preparing for deployment and debriefing). You can be activated once every 20 months.

So personally, I'd rather drill for another two years and know that if I get deployed, it would be for three months, rather than go IRR and hope I'm not activated for 15 months.

Your odds of being activated while a drilling National Guardsman are a lot higher than being called up off of IRR, but my logic is that if I take the scholarship and doctors are deploying, I ethically owe them at least one deployment. I'd just rather that be 4 months instead of 15 months. If I'm deployed 15 months I'll probably be more scared of my wife than Al Qaeda.

Thank you for the long response, however Im still a little unclear about some stuff. My plan is def to avoid IRR and do 8 years of drilling but I want to know if the time I spend in med school and residency count towards this drilling? You said only 3 years of medical school count, I understand for only 3 years u get active duty pay, but doesn that other year still count towards the drilling year I have to do? Can you tell me how many years I would owe if I did 4 years med school and 6 years residency? Wouldnt I be finished in my 4th year of residency?

Can you tell me how many years I would owe if I did 4 years med school and 6 years residency? Wouldnt I be finished in my 4th year of residency?

Yes, your 8 years begins when you raise your hand and take the officer oath. So theoretically you would be done in your 4th year of residency. But the NG offers some crazy incentives for you to stay in, like loan payoffs and insane bonuses...so it's worth hanging around for a while :). Plus, if you already have time in, why not just retire from the military? I currently have 7 years in the National Guard. When I'm done with school+residency, I'll have about 16 years in...what's another 4 to reach retirement? lol.

My plan is def to avoid IRR and do 8 years of drilling but I want to know if the time I spend in med school and residency count towards this drilling?
Yes, this is true.
You said only 3 years of medical school count, I understand for only 3 years u get active duty pay, but doesn that other year still count towards the drilling year I have to do?
If you join the National Guard for your MS I year, what is to prevent you from being deployed? You are non-deployable during your ASR years and you are non-deployable during internship (and for the rest of residency, theoretically).

But if you want to join the National Guard before ASR starts, I would be VERY careful to make sure it's written in your contract that you are non-deployable. Folks have been pulled out of medical school and deployed who were in the National Guard. This will not happen if you are in the ASR program, but if you are regular drilling guard, you usually do not have this protection.

Get it in writing. A verbal "you won't be deployed" means nothing.
Can you tell me how many years I would owe if I did 4 years med school and 6 years residency? Wouldnt I be finished in my 4th year of residency?
Yes, assuming you did National Guard in your first year of medical school. I'd be very careful about this. Also, I would not personally recommend committing one weekend a month during your first six months of medical school.

I currently have 7 years in the National Guard. When I'm done with school+residency, I'll have about 16 years in...what's another 4 to reach retirement? lol.
How are you currently handling the deployment issue? I'm curious if you are able to negotiate "non-deployable" into a written contract before you start medical school.

How are you currently handling the deployment issue? I'm curious if you are able to negotiate "non-deployable" into a written contract before you start medical school.

Once I commission, which should be sometime this winter, I get put into a "medical student" slot. You cannot get deployed unless you have an official MOS in which you can do your job. Since I won't trully be able to do my job until I'm done with residency, I cannot get deployed until after that. This is all written on the guard's website.

By the way, I made a summary of the different programs offered by the National Guard for med students.
A few questions/comments:

1. Any chance you could paste this as HTML or at least convert it to PDF after making a few corrections? I don't think too many folks would be thrilled loading a word document from an unknown source.

A few corrections/clarifications:

2. The Federal Tuition Assistance of $4,500/year is on a funding-as-available basis. It is not guaranteed as funds can run out each year.

3. For HPLRP, if you take this three year loan repayment during a three year residency, if your MSO is up, you now owe an additional three years, correct? The language the Guard uses in your document is (intentionally, I think) vague. I have heard that the "three year service commitment" begins AFTER you finish the three years of HPRLP, which means you owe an additional three years, even though the language of the program makes it sound as if you do not occur any additional obligation.

4. For Guard's Healthcare Professional Bonus, you mention $25K being paid out in the final year of HPLRP, which is not the case. The Guard's Healthcare Professional Bonus is paid out to residency-trained physicians and you can take it for up to three years (totalling $75K), but you incur a three year additional obligation. My understanding is that these three years begins after the three years in which you have taken the HPB, correct?

5. For both HPLRP and HPB, you left Psychiatry off the list. This is an approved specialty for both.

6. For Special Pay Program, does your three year commitment begin after the three year bonus is paid out (in other words, if you sign up for SPP in 2008, it finishes paying out in 2011. Does your 3 year obligation begin in 2011?)?

7. For Clerkships, I have been told that National Guard has the same priority as civilians for military clerkships, so most are functionally closed to us. Let me know if that's incorrect, but I have heard this from multiple sources. We do nt have the ability to do clerkships like HPSP or active duty folks do.

8. For OBLC, training is 25 days, not 22 (actually, 27 days if you count the day in/out-processing).

9. For deployments, it is not correct that you can not be deployed while you are a resident. The language actually states that you can not be deployed as an intern. Once you finish internship, you are technically deployable. There is a 2001 memo stating that residents would not be deployed, but the memo states that the Surgeon General reserves "the right to withdraw or modify this policy should it become necessary to provide medical support to future Army operational requirements."

A few questions/comments:

1. Any chance you could paste this as HTML or at least convert it to PDF after making a few corrections? I don't think too many folks would be thrilled loading a word document from an unknown source.

A few corrections/clarifications:

2. The Federal Tuition Assistance of $4,500/year is on a funding-as-available basis. It is not guaranteed as funds can run out each year.

3. For HPLRP, if you take this three year loan repayment during a three year residency, if your MSO is up, you now owe an additional three years, correct? The language the Guard uses in your document is (intentionally, I think) vague. I have heard that the "three year service commitment" begins AFTER you finish the three years of HPRLP, which means you owe an additional three years, even though the language of the program makes it sound as if you do not occur any additional obligation.

4. For Guard's Healthcare Professional Bonus, you mention $25K being paid out in the final year of HPLRP, which is not the case. The Guard's Healthcare Professional Bonus is paid out to residency-trained physicians and you can take it for up to three years (totalling $75K), but you incur a three year additional obligation. My understanding is that these three years begins after the three years in which you have taken the HPB, correct?

5. For both HPLRP and HPB, you left Psychiatry off the list. This is an approved specialty for both.

6. For Special Pay Program, does your three year commitment begin after the three year bonus is paid out (in other words, if you sign up for SPP in 2008, it finishes paying out in 2011. Does your 3 year obligation begin in 2011?)?

7. For Clerkships, I have been told that National Guard has the same priority as civilians for military clerkships, so most are functionally closed to us. Let me know if that's incorrect, but I have heard this from multiple sources. We do nt have the ability to do clerkships like HPSP or active duty folks do.

8. For OBLC, training is 25 days, not 22 (actually, 27 days if you count the day in/out-processing).

9. For deployments, it is not correct that you can not be deployed while you are a resident. The language actually states that you can not be deployed as an intern. Once you finish internship, you are technically deployable. There is a 2001 memo stating that residents would not be deployed, but the memo states that the Surgeon General reserves "the right to withdraw or modify this policy should it become necessary to provide medical support to future Army operational requirements."

Let me go over everything and I'll repost, hold on.

Pardon me. When you said you had 7 years in the Guard, I didn't realize that this was as enlisted. You have not yet been commissioned, yes?
Once I commission, which should be sometime this winter, I get put into a "medical student" slot.
I don't know what this means. After you are commissioned, where are you assigned? Are you assigned to a recruiting unit or an AMEDD unit? Do you have language in your contract stating that you are non-deployable before ASR starts?
You cannot get deployed unless you have an official MOS in which you can do your job. Since I won't trully be able to do my job until I'm done with residency, I cannot get deployed until after that.
That's why I'm curious what your assignment will be. I have heard from folks in the National Guard who were pulled out of medical school in spite what they were told by their detailer. I'm wondering what the unit assignment is that would protect you from deployment. I know that the recruiting assignment given to you in ASR will do so, but I'm wondering what unit assignment would be given to folks before they begin ASR.

And with what unit would you drill?
This is all written on the guard's website.
Do you have a link? I'm very curious about this. Lots of folks are interested in joining the Guard but have avoided doing so because folks have been pulled from medical school for deployment.

Pardon me. When you said you had 7 years in the Guard, I didn't realize that this was as enlisted. You have not yet been commissioned, yes?
I don't know what this means. After you are commissioned, where are you assigned? Are you assigned to a recruiting unit or an AMEDD unit? Do you have language in your contract stating that you are non-deployable before ASR starts?

That's why I'm curious what your assignment will be. I have heard from folks in the National Guard who were pulled out of medical school in spite what they were told by their detailer. I'm wondering what the unit assignment is that would protect you from deployment. I know that the recruiting assignment given to you in ASR will do so, but I'm wondering what unit assignment would be given to folks before they begin ASR.

And with what unit would you drill?

Do you have a link? I'm very curious about this. Lots of folks are interested in joining the Guard but have avoided doing so because folks have been pulled from medical school for deployment.

In order for an individual to be deployed, he needs to have an MOS, which is his job training. I am currently enlisted, and my MOS is 68W, which is a combat medic. If I lost my MOS (due to not taking courses, keeping up my emt license, etc.), I can't get deployed until I have my MOS, and that becomes my priority.

It's the same thing with officers. Officers can't get deployed until they 1) have an MOS, 2) have been to OBC. When I get commissioned, my AMEDD officer HAS to put me into what's called a 'paragraph and line number'..which basically assigns me to a unit. When he did my paperwork, he put me into a physician slot in in my current unit. Therefor, I will have my commission, but will not have my MOS (which for a field surgeon is 62B..), and I have not yet gone to OBC....both of which will make me not deployable. I haven't figured out when exactly I get my MOS...whether it's after I graduate from school or after I'm done residency. Once I get my ASR stuff figured out and join that program, I will actually become part of the WV national guard for the three-four years, and as you know, you can't get deployed while in ASR.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing at the unit until I go off to school. I am currently acting as a platoon sergeant, so I will probably still hang around and help out. I am in a physician slot at that unit. Remember, if you plan on getting a commission soon but don't expect to start ASR for some time, you'll have to be assigned to a unit probably as an 00E (student officer). Which basically means you don't do **** until you go to school.

In order for an individual to be deployed....
Great explanation, koojo. Thank you. It's much more clear now.

The folks who get pulled from medical school for deployment must therefore have held on to their old MOS, I guess.

Great explanation, koojo. Thank you. It's much more clear now.

The folks who get pulled from medical school for deployment must therefore have held on to their old MOS, I guess.

I'll try to dig up info about deployment and medical school/residency. I know I've read it somewhere. Also, if you participate in the MDSSP (which you can start AFTER your 3-year ASR term is over), then I'm pretty positive you can't get deployed. But I'll post it once I find out more.

I updated the file I posted earlier and made it easier to read. I'm going to try and post it in here, along with a PDF file.

Last edited:
A summary of programs offered by the National Guard for Med Students (subject to change):

AMEDD Student Recruiter (ASR) &#8211; Active Duty Pay for 3 years while in Medical School. (about $50,000 a year&#8230;.receive paycheck/bank deposit every 2 weeks)

• Participation DOES NOT incur an Active Duty obligation when finished.
  • Participation DOES NOT require additional term past your standard 8 year contract.
  • Participation DOES NOT incur any additional obligation with the Army National Guard outside normal participation (1 weekend a month; 2 weeks a year).

Federal Tuition Assistance &#8211; Everyone can apply, but will depend on if there are funds available.

• $4500/year x 4 years= $18000/total
  • Officers must have 4 years remaining in their service contract after the last payment is made.
  • Tax-free
Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserve &#8211; Everyone can apply.

• Current rate = $329.00/every month you have class...and is prorated for starting/ending months (increases every October 1st)

Healthcare Professional Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP) - Healthcare providers in the specialties listed below can receive up to $50,000 in loan repayment assistance by agreeing to a three-year service commitment with the Guard and going into one of the specialties listed below (may change with time). The HPLRP pays a maximum of $20,000 toward your qualified student loan for the first two years, with the final $10,000 paid in your final year. = $50000/total.

• Resident Physicians may dual participate in both HPLRP and STRAP at the same time.
  • Participation DOES NOT require you to remain in state where you completed residency.
  • Participation REQUIRES an additional 3 year extension of your original 8-year contract.

Specialties to get this:

• Physicians
    • Orthopedic Surgery
    • Family Practice
    • Emergency Medicine
    • Internal Medicine
    • Subspecialties of Internal Medicine:
      • Preventive Medicine
      • Gastroenterology
      • Cardiology
      • Endocrinology
      • Nephrology
      • Medical Oncology/Hematology
      • Infectious Disease
      • Pulmonary Disease
      • Rheumatology
      • Psychiatry

Healthcare Professional Bonus (HPB) &#8211; AKA Retention Bonus
If you are pursuing a career in one of the specialties below, you are eligible for the Guard's Healthcare Professional Bonus. If you commit to a three-year service agreement with the Guard (AFTER YOU'VE DONE YOUR TIME FOR ANY OTHER PROMOTTIONS/OFFERS SUCH AS HPLRP), you can receive a $75,000 bonus, paid over the course of the three years at $25,000 per year. And if you make another three-year commitment, it may be renewable (get another $75k) as long as your profession is still on the list!

• Qualified professionals eligible even after receiving STRAP and HPLRP.
  • Participation DOES NOT require you to remain in state where you initially signed for the program.
  • Participation requires normal attendance (1 weekend/month, 2 weeks a year) with the Army National Guard for the year immediately following each payment. *
*Flexible Training Policies vary from state-to-state and unit-to-unit.

Specialties to get this (same as HPLRP):

• Physicians
    • Orthopedic Surgery
    • Family Practice
    • Emergency Medicine
    • Internal Medicine
    • Subspecialties of Internal Medicine:
      • Preventive Medicine
      • Gastroenterology
      • Cardiology
      • Endocrinology
      • Nephrology
      • Medical Oncology/Hematology
      • Infectious Disease
      • Pulmonary Disease
      • Rheumatology
      • Psychiatry

The Medical/Dental Student Stipend Program (MDSSP) .&#8211; WHILE IN MEDICAL SCHOOL, AFTER ASR (4TH YEAR) .- is an incentive based program targeted to medical and dental students. This program will offer medical and dental students a monthly stipend of $1,907.00. In return, each participant will incur a one-year service obligation for every six months (or part thereof) for which they receive the stipend. Obligation starts when student stops taking stipends. Increases annually every July 1st. $1907/month = $22,884/year = $91,536+/total

• Participation DOES NOT incur an Active Duty obligationafter completion of school or residency.
  • Participation DOES NOT require you to remain in state where you completed school or residency.
  • Students receiving MDSSP are NOT available for mobilization while in school.
  • Students may take advantage of each state's flexible training policy*

Specialized Training Assistance Program (STRAP) &#8211; WHILE IN RESIDENCY -

• Same payment as MDSSP ($1907/month)
  • Participation DOES NOT require you to remain in state where you completed school or residency.
  • Students receiving MDSSP are NOT available for mobilization while in RESIDENCY
  • Students may take advantage of each state's flexible training policy*
  • In return, each participant will incur a one-year service obligation for every six months on the program

Dual Participation in MDSSP & STRAP &#8211; The MDSSP obligation is re-calculated at six months for each six months (or part thereof) that the stipend was paid to the individual. MDSSP obligation changes from to one year for one year of benefits (cuts obligation time in half).

• The original contract is amended to defer the original obligation start date until residency completion.
  • Participation DOES NOT incur an Active Duty obligation after completion of residency.
  • Participation DOES NOT require you to remain in state where you completed residency.
  • Participants are NOT eligible for mobilization while in residency.

Other Benefits
State Tuition Assistance - Benefits vary from state to state. See your state Education Officer for details. Tax free!

Clerkship - During your M3 and M4 years, you may apply for one of the several clerkships available at many military medical centers around the country. While in attendance, you would receive full active-duty pay ( and allowances of $3,987 as a 3rd yr medical student of $4,454 as a 4th yr medical student (based on an average 30-day clerkship).

OBLC: You will be required to attend about a 27-day Officer Basic Training course (in beautiful Fort Sam Houston, TX in San Antonio) that can be done in lieu of Annual Training and may have the opportunity to attend other medical/dental military training.

Deployments: You can not be deployed while in medical school. You can not be deployed while you are a resident. Current policy says that ARNG doctors deployments are limited to 90 days &#8216;boots on ground'. You may be deployed as frequently as 18 months apart following residency completion. You may be deployable if you do a fellowship but this is considered on a case by case basis.

Healthcare: While getting paid full-time (During ASR), you get FREE healthcare for you and your family. When you're no longer on ASR, you can pay $47/month for an individual or $175 for a family (rates reduced in 10/2008). Dental for an individual costs just $11.50 a month while not in ASR.

Life Insurance: Up-to $400,000 of life insurance that covers you on and
off duty for small monthly payments (about $25/month). You can also choose smaller amounts of coverage for a smaller fee

Retirement: You can retire from the military when you have been in for 20 years ("good-years" of actually going to drill) and will collect payment when you reach the age of 60.

PDF OF THIS INFO:
ARMY NATIONAL GUARD Med Student Programs

Last edited:

Federal Tuition Assistance – Everyone can apply, but will depend on if there are funds available.

• $4500/year x 4 years= $18000/total
  • Participation DOES NOT incur additional service.
  • Tax-free

Thank you for all this. Regarding the Federal Tuition Assistance I was under the impression that there is no additional repayment if you're enlisted but there is if you're an officer. I've been meaning to make a few calls and get this figured out but haven't done so yet.

Since we've added a few new people and the rest of us have a much better knowledge of the guard and the ASR program I'd like to ask everyone to look over the first & second post in this thread (the description and the FAQ) and see if you think everything looks correct and if there's anything I should add or remove. I'd like to make a list of links to outside resources as well.

Thank you to all of you. You have helped me tremendously.