Army, Navy, Air Force scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

el dudarino

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone thinking of applying to the armed forces health professional scholarship program? Or has anyone already applied and been accepted? I'm trying to figure out my finances for medical school - I'll be attending USC this fall - really expensive tuition, but I want to explore all options...including being 200K in debt. Is the scholarship really worth it money-wise? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

el dudarino said:
Is anyone thinking of applying to the armed forces health professional scholarship program? Or has anyone already applied and been accepted? I'm trying to figure out my finances for medical school - I'll be attending USC this fall - really expensive tuition, but I want to explore all options...including being 200K in debt. Is the scholarship really worth it money-wise? Thanks.
Just for what it's worth, if you are civilian, and are already in med school this year, you are SOL for this year's tuition. HOWEVER, HPSP does offer three year scholarships, so you might want to inquire with your recruiter ASAP for next year. I know the HPSP board for civilians meets in the fall while the active duty board meets in the spring... I'm active duty USAF, so PM me if you have any HPSP (particularly USAF HPSP) questions :thumbup:

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Just for what it's worth, if you are civilian, and are already in med school this year, you are SOL for this year's tuition. HOWEVER, HPSP does offer three year scholarships, so you might want to inquire with your recruiter ASAP for next year. I know the HPSP board for civilians meets in the fall while the active duty board meets in the spring... I'm active duty USAF, so PM me if you have any HPSP (particularly USAF HPSP) questions :thumbup:

That's true for this year, but there are still several out there for the next and if your stats are good enough you'll probably get an automatic acceptance. This is what I was told from both an Army and Navy recruiter about my case.

HOWEVER...this isn't something you should just do for money. You need to want to join the armed forces and serve with them knowing full well what that means. I did some searching within me and figured out that it wasn't for me, but it might be for your. It depends on your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
word to the wise.....DO NOT consider these scholarships unless serving in the military is a priority for you. There is a big difference between being a military doctor and a doctor who is in the military. If you are in the latter category you will be MISERABLE. Military medicine is about serving your country first and foremost. If this isn't you , you will quickly find that a free ride through medical school wasn't such a great deal after all.

el dudarino said:

There's a military medicine forum which has a ton of information on HPSP. I've actually been accepted for the Army scholarship, but I haven't made up my mind if I'm doing it yet. I'm still waiting to here from schools, but let's say it comes down to my top two schools, USC and UW. UW, I would pay in-state tuition and I probably wouldn't take the scholarship. USC, I would definitely take the scholarship.

I know that I could fit into the the military life and that I would probably enjoy the experience, but it still comes down to money in the end.

Definitely read the military med forum.

KAR said:
There's a military medicine forum which has a ton of information on HPSP. I've actually been accepted for the Army scholarship, but I haven't made up my mind if I'm doing it yet. I'm still waiting to here from schools, but let's say it comes down to my top two schools, USC and UW. UW, I would pay in-state tuition and I probably wouldn't take the scholarship. USC, I would definitely take the scholarship.

I know that I could fit into the the military life and that I would probably enjoy the experience, but it still comes down to money in the end.

Definitely read the military med forum.

Thanks KAR - just found the thread you were talking about - didnt know it existed. Funny thing - UW and USC were my top choices as well! (although i just got rejected from UW today :thumbdown:. USC c/o 2009! Good luck KAR!

Remember you may end up in a combat zone and get shot at...do *not* do it for the money. The military is seeing a pretty high deployment tempo and the odds that you will serve in combat are getting higher. Military has one mission and that is "boots on the ground" so if you are a physician you are still a soldier/airmen/marine/sailior FIRST.