Army/ navy residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drew5264

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know active duty obligations of doing a residency. Any idea for that time if u can get lrp. Any idea if you can accession bargain for a pgy2 residency directly?

Members don't see this ad.

At least, 4 years active duty plus 4 years inactive duty.
There is a high likelyhood of going to the Middle East.

Does anyone know active duty obligations of doing a residency. Any idea for that time if u can get lrp. Any idea if you can accession bargain for a pgy2 residency directly?
If you take LRP and a PGY1, you will owe 6 years. PGY2 is something you would have to negotiate with the career manager.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
At least, 4 years active duty plus 4 years inactive duty.
There is a high likelyhood of going to the Middle East.

Very untrue it depends on which branch you go in, most are only 3 years for the last two years paid for school. Also, if they are sending pharmacist into war zones in the Middle East, then America has gone under. I spent 18 months there and never saw a pharmcist...

If my wife would be willing to move around, I'd join the military after graduating with my Pharm.D. I know the Army residency programs are pretty darn good, if I could get one, I'd take it.

Very untrue it depends on which branch you go in, most are only 3 years for the last two years paid for school. Also, if they are sending pharmacist into war zones in the Middle East, then America has gone under. I spent 18 months there and never saw a pharmcist...
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There are pharmacists in the Army, Navy, and the Air Force currently in theater between Afghanistan and Iraq and will remain there for years to come.

You seem to know what you are talking about.
What are the dangers or the possibility of danger I should say for me to join the Navy Pharmacy program. The recruiter told me that there is a chance that I would be sent to the middle east, but do you have any idea of the percentages or even if sent whether they are sent to an area in conflict or just a regular military hospital.

Any other information would be more than appreciated?

PS I'm pretty pumped about this opportunity, I just dont want to get myself into a situation that would be quite harmful.

You seem to know what you are talking about.
What are the dangers or the possibility of danger I should say for me to join the Navy Pharmacy program. The recruiter told me that there is a chance that I would be sent to the middle east, but do you have any idea of the percentages or even if sent whether they are sent to an area in conflict or just a regular military hospital.

Any other information would be more than appreciated?

PS I'm pretty pumped about this opportunity, I just dont want to get myself into a situation that would be quite harmful.
There is no "danger" in any of the services for pharmacists. You may go to a not so enjoyable area but no pharmacist has ever died in combat during these 2 "wars".

Not really sure what you mean by harmful. Its not like we haze pharmacists or anything...

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. There are pharmacists in the Army, Navy, and the Air Force currently in theater between Afghanistan and Iraq and will remain there for years to come.

And these officers are not, I assure you, as I was, in harms way!

What's your point? You said earlier pharmacists don't even have a part in this war...

It is not worth repeating, if you can not figure it out from the thread! Then maybe you don't know what you're talking about!

Anyone else, if you're looking to join the military for pharmacy it is a great opportunity, and a great way to pay for school. Just be sure to look at the bottom line before you sign! Keep in mind the military is not for everyone, and you will learn firsthand that you are trained as a solider first and a pharmacist second, no matter what branch you go into. Yet, they what you for your pharmacy skills, it is a double edge knife! If you do decided to join, and if you are in "theater" or basically on tour, you will not be sent into harm's way, like you see on the nightly news. In fact, engineers set up zones by which the area is based on safety level, the heart of the zone is where the most valued people are found, i.e. medical staff, engineers, commanders, wounded etc. On the other perimeter is the personnel who are there to protect the inner zone.

Think about it, why would the military pay thousands of dollars to send you to school, have you trained, and then put you in an area to just have your head blown off, and then pay your family about $400,000 in life insurance? They don't, they protect their most valued assets, and as I said earlier if a pharmacist is going into a war zone and fighting, then the war has gone really, really bad!

I have been deployed to all over the middle east and have seen death, I have seen families leave mosque and be killed dead, families! and soldiers wounded when trying to help the locals that was a trick, I seen it all as an enlisted member NOT as a medical professional! Not once did I ever see a pharmacist beside me or in eyes view. Or even take it from what Caverject said from another post "I work with some people that have been in 16 years and have yet to deploy", point is, pharmacist are not in harm's way! Eitherway, they are still serving their part in the war just like every American does to some degree, you just may not see it on the evening news!

If anyone has any question please feel free to contact me I would be happy to answer them to the best of my ability or I can put you in contact with those that can. There are reasons I do not post in forums as the pettyness is a bit too much at times.

Thank you,

Last edited:
You might look into doing an Indian Health Service Residency. You get nearly all the same benefits as the Army or Navy yet you don't have to move around unless you want to. A few of the residencies will tell you that you most likely will have to move to another Indian Health Service site after you finish your residency, but most you can stay there as long as you want. There are a few caveats like that fact that moving is helpful for promotion, but you can do other things to get your rank advancements. I'm in Claremore, Ok and there are people here that have been here for 10+ years and have got all their rank advancements because they are actively doing other things to set themselves apart.

You might also think that you will have to live in some crazy part of the country, but that isn't true either. First of all, there are residencies in Anchorage, Alaska, Phoenix, AZ, and Claremore, Ok which are not very rural. The rest are more rural, but in some cases you can live in a nice town within 40 minutes of the site. Secondly, after your residency you don't have to stay in the IHS to continue to be Comissioned Corps. You can go and work for the CDC, NIH, FDA, or BOP. There are so many possibilities. It is a great career.

I'm currently the resident at Claremore, OK. If you have any questions send me a PM. I'm on luch right now and this is my first on-call weekend since I started June 22. Not bad, huh? The people here are crazy smart and great people to learn from. They definitely have a lot to offer.

Also, if you like ambulatory care, the IHS is one of the most ambulatory focused PGY1 you can find. Here at Claremore we have 4 clinics completely run by pharmacists: heart failure, anticoagulations, cardiovascular risk reduction, and smoking. We have prescribing rights within these clinics. It is a great place to learn.

Hope this info helps.

Nick Sparrow

Well thanks for your contribution, Private Towers...

Hate to say it but anyone who is deployed to the Middle East is in relative danger, no matter where you are. The Army won't protect a pharmacist more than a grunt. Everyone has the same gear, etc. A mortar can hit the hospital just as easy as it can hit a humvee. It's fairly ignorant to say that there are no pharmacists in theater just because you never saw one. Just because you can't see a black hole doesn't meant it isn't there. Know anybody that got medication? Then you know there is a pharmacist somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hate to say it but anyone who is deployed to the Middle East is in relative danger, no matter where you are. The Army won't protect a pharmacist more than a grunt. Everyone has the same gear, etc. A mortar can hit the hospital just as easy as it can hit a humvee. It's fairly ignorant to say that there are no pharmacists in theater just because you never saw one. Just because you can't see a black hole doesn't meant it isn't there. Know anybody that got medication? Then you know there is a pharmacist somewhere.

While your logic is flawed, and this is evident in the stupidity of your comments, and reasoning by analogy is a characteristic that is not on your side in this matter, you need to go back and read my post!

Never did I state there are no pharmacist in "theater"!

Did I know anyone who got medication, of course! We got them from, PA, NP, MD, DO, and from each other etc! Yet, never will you see any of these people or a PharmD in the streets of Iraq giving these medications, except possibly a PA, NP, medic! Or, think about this, when a soldier was down in the streets of Iraq, did he run to the local Walgreens on the corner?

Everyone has the same gear! Of course its issued the first day of boot camp, but I assure you in the middle of a surgery in a hospital , in a safe zone, medical professionals are not wearing kevlar. In fact, research the last time a mortar hit a military hospital in the middle east.

Finally, I am NOT a Private, never was, and I suggest if you come at someone with disrespect and calling people out of their name, or rank, you check your facts first!

For your level of expertise in this matter, it might be a good start for you to try goggling what you don't know!

Also, can you let Andrew Vogal and Dr. Kent Skau know I said hello! Dr. Skau use to teach basic pharmacology at UC and worked with me on getting into UC! They are both very wonderful people and great mentors!

Last edited:
While your logic is flawed, and this is evident in the stupidity of your comments, and reasoning by analogy is a characteristic that is not on your side in this matter, you need to go back and read my post!

Never did I state there are no pharmacist in “theater”!

Did I know anyone who got medication, of course! We got them from, PA, NP, MD, DO, and from each other etc! Yet, never will you see any of these people or a PharmD in the streets of Iraq giving these medications, except possibly a PA, NP, medic! Or, think about this, when a soldier was down in the streets of Iraq, did he run to the local Walgreens on the corner?

Everyone has the same gear! Of course its issued the first day of boot camp, but I assure you in the middle of a surgery in a hospital , in a safe zone, medical professionals are not wearing kevlar. In fact, research the last time a mortar hit a military hospital in the middle east.

Finally, I am NOT a Private, never was, and I suggest if you come at someone with disrespect and calling people out of their name, or rank, you check your facts first!

For your level of expertise in this matter, it might be a good start for you to try goggling what you don’t know!

Also, can you let Andrew Vogal and Dr. Kent Skau know I said hello! Dr. Skau use to teach basic pharmacology at UC and worked with me on getting into UC! They are both very wonderful people and great mentors!

Oh sorry, did you get one of your buddies to join up so you got E-2?

For your level of expertise in this matter, it might be a good start for you to try goggling what you don’t know!

That is some great advice. Perhaps if you followed it, you'd know pharmacists are not only at major combat support hospitals.

So what were you? An airman? Seaman?

Oh sorry, did you get one of your buddies to join up so you got E-2?

Never was an E-2, certain educated people who have knowledge and a certain skill can skip that grade! How long did it take you to move to E-3, or have you never been to boot camp?

Last edited:
That is some great advice. Perhaps if you followed it, you'd know pharmacists are not only at major combat support hospitals.

So what were you? An airman? Seaman?

Well notice the other great advice, read my post! I never said they were not, but they are not running through the streets of Iraq fighting insurgents.

As for your question, I am still in and I will say it is not the Army, but the only branch that is the Cadillac of the military.

Also, I will be back in the middle east at the beginning of the year, how about we all go together and see the reality of the situation? Would you be interested in joining me, kind of like leading a horse to water?

Never was an E-2, certain educated people who have knowledge and a certain skill can skip that grade! How long did it take you to move to E-3, or have you never been to boot camp?

So basically you were a ***** and opted for the easy way out. It took me oh, 3 and a half years to go from Private to Staff Sergeant so kindly shut the **** up.

P.S. Queen of Battle

Well notice the other great advice, read my post! I never said they were not, but they are not running through the streets of Iraq fighting insurgents.

As for your question, I am still in and I will say it is not the Army, but the only branch that is the Cadillac of the military.

Also, I will be back in the middle east at the beginning of the year, how about we all go together and see the reality of the situation? Would you be interested in joining me, kind of like leading a horse to water?

The real Cadillac of the military is the navy IMHO. The can operate on land, over the sea, under the sea, and in the air!

Your correct that pharmacists are not in the streets. But there are pharmacists that do go outside the wire. In fact I know of pharmacists that gave been attacked in convoys. We also have navy pharmacists that work in poorly fabricated areas in Afghanistan. So to say that pharmacists are not exposed to danger in Iraq or afghanistan is highly insulting to me.

Thanks for the offer on the trip but I got orders coming soon so my time to serve in the box is coming.

So basically you were a ***** and opted for the easy way out. It took me oh, 3 and a half years to go from Private to Staff Sergeant so kindly shut the **** up.

P.S. Queen of Battle

You want a medal for that...

Gents - I haven't a clue where your military bearing went.

That is simply not how officers or NCOs act. Remember the oaths that you swore.

JustSayHeyy - I haven't a clue who you are or who you served with - but you are currently talking to decorated Marines and an Army officer. Use some tact. There are better ways to express yourself.

Gents - I haven't a clue where your military bearing went.

That is simply not how officers or NCOs act. Remember the oaths that you swore.

JustSayHeyy - I haven't a clue who you are or who you served with - but you are currently talking to decorated Marines and an Army officer. Use some tact. There are better ways to express yourself.

I thank you for bring that to my attention! On the other hand, if they are a decorated Marine or an Army officer, makes no difference on what I have stated. As you said you dont know who I am or who I served with, thus, until we pull rank and time in grade in person, which I am sure I out rank both currently, will I caution what I have stated.

I thank you for bring that to my attention! On the other hand, if they are a decorated Marine or an Army officer, makes no difference on what I have stated. As you said you dont know who I am or who I served with, thus, until we pull rank and time in grade in person, which I am sure I out rank both currently, will I caution what I have stated.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So you are an O-4?

If you have served - you would know that bearing and rank are two mutually exclusive concepts.

My comment about bearing refers to all posting. There is no statute of limitation on appropriate behavior for soldiers, Marines, or any other servicemen. It pertains to all interactions, including forums.

If you have served - you would know that bearing and rank are two mutually exclusive concepts.

My comment about bearing refers to all posting. There is no statute of limitation on appropriate behavior for soldiers, Marines, or any other servicemen. It pertains to all interactions, including forums.

Yea right, there is a complete difference in the two! You are so right about that, OMG, and that relates so much to you calling me out on how I talk to a "decorated Marine or an Army officer" thank you...

Last edited:
This forum has gone way off topic,,,

bitter party of 3, your forum is ready...

Nothing like reviving a string of horrible debates, but I cant resist.

First off the comment about military bearing is on par, show some respect for your uniform. When you talk about your time in the service, you are by default representing your country and your service, so act like it.

The comments that pharmacists are never in real danger are wrong. No hyperbolic terms attached here, they are just wrong.

I served in a very hostile area in Iraq and our hospital was attacked daily. I was a pharm tech at the time, but for a few months we did have a pharmacist, and the unit that replaced us had two pharmacists. We were all in very imminent danger many times and were exposed to more "reality" of the war than most of us would have liked to have been. I hate telling "war stories", so my public comments about that will stop here.

Indeed the military is not for everyone and the possibility of going to a combat zone should be fully weighed before joining the military regardless of the branch or position. The purpose of the military is to go to war. Anyone who can not come to terms with that should not join the military.

That being said, my time in the military was the most rewarding professional experience I have had. You form relationships with your fellow soldiers that go beyond any sort of professional relationships you will form at any other "job".

Last edited: