Army Obc/hpsp Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sutt_26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about the OBC/Initial Summer Training for the Army Health Professions Scholarship Program. I am prior service Army and have gone through Boot Camp and AIT so I know that it can't be much worse than that which I have already gone through. Anyway, I would appreciate as many unexaggerated appraisals of this training as I can get (especially from other prior-service enlisted). After putting up with 15 weeks of DSs and Officers, I am somewhat hesistant to sign up without knowing what kinds of BS I'm getting into. First of all, how long is the actual military aspect of this training and where will it be spent? What is the typical day like and what kind of privileges do you get? How often is PT done? And finally, are you treated like a POS the whole time you are there? According to the recruiter, there are only two weeks of OBC for this course, and the remaining days are spent doing something else. With that said, I know what the recruiters and the papers say, but you prior-service members know that these things are there to make the big wigs happy and to get *****s like me to sign up. So please, let me know anything and everything that you have recently experienced with the Army HPSP and exactly what this program entails. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently OBC is a 6 week party in San Antonio. We spent a week inprocessing, a week in the field sleeping in air conditioned tents, 3 weeks in the classroom, and a week outprocessing. We had every night off, every weekend off except for one half Saturday (we had to take a tour of the museum on post), and a 4 day weekend for the 4th of July. You basically sleep in a hotel and a maid cleans your room. We played poker a couple nights a week. PT is in the morning and isn't bad. We didn't really get yelled at.

Things can change from year to year as the CO changes. The incoming CO was trying to make OBC longer or at least make the field portion 2 weeks instead of three. Regardless, it is almost NOTHING like boot camp that anyone else in the military or a service academy has gone through.

OBC for the army reserves/Guard is currently two weeks. However, and I do mean HOWEVER, It will change to a three phase course. I will be attending the second to last 2 week OBC in existance. (starting Jan 21, 07 to Feb 3, 07) You can see for yourself on their website. If you go Active Duty then it is 6 weeks. But it is changing.

Reserve is the only 2 week course. HPSP is the longer 6 week course.

I was enlisted, active, trained and permanent party at Fort Sam - was a medic. San Antonio "Fort Sham Houston" is total cush. It sure as hell ain't Bragg. From my peers who were also prior service in reserves there is really only 1 mini exam that you have to actually study for because you already know the other stuff. You can go out but days are very long starting with PT at 0530 to 1700.The schedule is online.

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/obc/

Everything is online, right down to a packing list.

if you want to check the dates for the actual courses you want to schedule yourself for check atrrs, I used it to plan mine.

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/

course number is: 6-8-C20(RC)

reserve component

put in AMEDD in title to see all the other OBC's at Fort sam
If you have never been prior service there is a 6-8-c20(prep)
basically 1 week of learning your uniform, saluting, history and basic stuff. Before you get placed into your real course.

AMEDD OFFICER BASIC (HPSP/RC) is what you are interested in.