Army OMFS 6 year residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCoyote47

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware if the Army is still looking at reviving the 6 year residency? I read on here not too long ago they were going to do so where residents would be stationed BAMC and then take two years off of residency to do medical school at UTSA. Is this still a possibility for the upcoming fall 2018 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I know of. 2 guys are doing civilian 6 year programs now, but the plan for starting an army 6 year program fell through it seems. It was a lot of moving parts, getting UTSA on board and CODA approval, getting sign off from the Army all of which I heard did happen. However, the San Antonio is joint with Air Force, so they would likely need to approve as well.

How does the Army decide who does Civilian OMFS vs. the 4 year the army provides?

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge they only time they even opened it up for a 6 year possibility recently was in 2015. At that time you could specify if you wanted to be considered for 6 yr or 4 or both. Not sure what they looked for, but I assume same stuff as usual high CBSE, rank, good letters, externships and extracurriculars.

The “default” program is the military 4 year, not many people pursue the civilian 6 year. Payback is different for the six year with the dental school and residency years paid back separately. For example, if you get into a 6 year residency right after school you will spend 6 years in residency and the next 10 years paying it back (6 payback for OMS and 4 for dental school). That means you will only pay off your ADSO after 16 years and will not be eligible for the $50k annual retention bonus until then. Essentially if you do a 20 year career you will only be able to get the $200k 4yr retention bonus once making you the most underpaid oral surgeon in the country...

^ this is exactly right. Only saving grace is moonlighting.

The “default” program is the military 4 year, not many people pursue the civilian 6 year. Payback is different for the six year with the dental school and residency years paid back separately. For example, if you get into a 6 year residency right after school you will spend 6 years in residency and the next 10 years paying it back (6 payback for OMS and 4 for dental school). That means you will only pay off your ADSO after 16 years and will not be eligible for the $50k annual retention bonus until then. Essentially if you do a 20 year career you will only be able to get the $200k 4yr retention bonus once making you the most underpaid oral surgeon in the country...

Hello Doctor, I am interested in becoming an OMS in the Army and I wonder how difficult that can be. Is it easier if I do not join the Army? My performance is excellent at school so far? Thanks much

Yes it is easier to get in with the military. Not that they will take anyone, there are just many fewer applicants. You still need to meet the standards though. This differs from the civilian world where a ton of highly qualified applicants don’t get selected because of so few civilian spots and so much competition. You can only apply to the Army OMS residency if you have the HPSP scholarship as a senior or if you’re already active duty. Basically, you must have already made the commitment to be an Army dentist before you can apply and if you don’t get selected you’ll still have to fulfill a multi year contract as a military dentist. With the timeline of the application process, you almost always end up serving at least a year as a general dentist prior to starting residency.

Yes it is easier to get in with the military. Not that they will take anyone, there are just many fewer applicants. You still need to meet the standards though. This differs from the civilian world where a ton of highly qualified applicants don’t get selected because of so few civilian spots and so much competition. You can only apply to the Army OMS residency if you have the HPSP scholarship as a senior or if you’re already active duty. Basically, you must have already made the commitment to be an Army dentist before you can apply and if you don’t get selected you’ll still have to fulfill a multi year contract as a military dentist. With the timeline of the application process, you almost always end up serving at least a year as a general dentist prior to starting residency.
I’m not sure how things operate in the Army, but the Navy has something called DUINS. Based on everything I’ve read, D3s apply to their specialties of choice (through DUINS) in the winter so they can begin residency a month or so after graduation. Applications for a GPR/AEGD go out in the fall of D4.

That is good to know! Thanks much!

Hi ZD26, can I talk to you over the phone; I am in the process of joining the Army and I would like to ask you few questions.