lorkowtm

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I applied to both the army and the navy for the HPSP, thinking that I would be lucky if I could be awarded one or the other. However, I have been awarded them both, so I must decide which branch is better. I am having some difficulties prioritizing the criteria on which to base my decision, and I was hoping that I could be offered some input on what people think of the two programs thus far. I like the navy, particularly when thinking about my safety in the case of deployment. I feel as though I would be safer on a ship than on the ground with the army. But then, I could always end up with a marine unit on the ground. I also like the possibility of civil deferment with the navy, so that I don't have to limit my residency choices in four years. But it too is a gamble because according to the statistics I am seen there is at least a 30-40% chance I'll be a GMO, and I think I want to go the traditional route, and finish my residency immediately after school. The army guarantees that residency will be uninterupted, but my choices are limited. I think the army does provide more oportunities though, as for as specialities and where to practice. I was wondering if anyone might know how the hospitals/facilities and their programs compare between the two programs. Also, can you negotiate your contract, say with the navy, so that you won't have to be a GMO? I guess my dilemma is between my professional route and my safety in the case of deployment. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

AubreyMaturin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
Status
lorkowtm said:
I guess my dilemma is between my professional route and my safety in the case of deployment. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

Don't do either, stay civilianized. That way you can choose your proffesional route while staying safe.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
the beach
Status
Attending Physician
AubreyMaturin said:
Don't do either, stay civilianized. That way you can choose your proffesional route while staying safe.
:thumbup: What are you reasons for joining? You know you can always work for the military later as a civilian if you so choose. As for negotiating your contract, forget about it. :laugh: Your contract will basically say WE OWN YOU DO AS YOU'RE TOLD and that's about it in alot of words.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
lorkowtm said:
I like the navy, particularly when thinking about my safety in the case of deployment. I feel as though I would be safer on a ship than on the ground with the army.
Physicians are protected pretty well in the army. I haven't heard of too many getting killed in action recently. As long as your plane or helicopter doesn't crash, you shouldn't be in too much danger. There are risks of course . . .

lorkowtm said:
I also like the possibility of civil deferment with the navy, so that I don't have to limit my residency choices in four years. But it too is a gamble because according to the statistics I am seen there is at least a 30-40% chance I'll be a GMO, and I think I want to go the traditional route, and finish my residency immediately after school. The army guarantees that residency will be uninterupted, but my choices are limited.
If you don't want to do a GMO tour before residency, then don't join the Navy. The army has been pretty good about phasing out GMO tours before residency. BTW, in what sense do you mean your choices are limited?

lorkowtm said:
Also, can you negotiate your contract, say with the navy, so that you won't have to be a GMO? I guess my dilemma is between my professional route and my safety in the case of deployment. Any comments are welcome. Thank you.
You definitey cannot negotiate your contract. I don't think safety in terms of deployment is that much different b/w the two branches. Perhaps Navy deployments can be a bit more comfortable, but that's a big trade-off for getting screwed into doing a GMO tour.