Army physician (O5) demands Obama show birth certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwb8p

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/04/ap_army_obama_birth_certificate_040310/

A Greeley native who says he's an Army lieutenant colonel says he won't go to Afghanistan until President Obama provides his birth certificate showing he's eligible to hold office.

Terry Lakin told The Associated Press that he works at the Pentagon's DiLorenzo Tricare Health Clinic and is attached to a headquarters company at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

In a video posted on YouTube, Lakin says he's an 18-year Army veteran who's "choosing to disobey" orders he says are illegal, including an order to deploy to Afghanistan at "great peril" to his career and future.

Lakin declined further comment Saturday when reached through his parents.

Officials at the Pentagon and at Walter Reed did not immediately return messages.

And his youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9JVnck_-E

Looks like he got his DO from Kansas City in 1993 and did FP; so his commitment should have been up in 2000. Now with 18 years in service, I really wonder why he would risk getting court martialed and ruining his career with less than 3 years from retirement.

Another crazy Army physician? Any predictions as to how this might play out?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2010/04/ap_army_obama_birth_certificate_040310/

And his youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9JVnck_-E

Looks like he got his DO from Kansas City in 1993 and did FP; so his commitment should have been up in 2000. Now with about 17 years in service, I really wonder why he would risk getting court martialed and ruining his career with less than 3 years from retirement.

Another crazy Army physician? Any predictions as to how this might play out?
I would expect some extremely negative proceedings to follow be they judicial or nonjudicial - either way his career is over. Embarrassing for the Army Military Department.

Last edited:
Holy crap... check out all of this:

http://safeguardourconstitution.com/press-release.html

Lakin serves as Chief of Primary Care and Flight Surgeon for the DiLorenzo TRICARE Health Clinic and is lead Flight Surgeon charged with caring for Army Chief of Staff General Casey's pilots and air crew. His numerous awards and decorations include the Army Flight Surgeon's Badge, Combat Medical Badge, the Bronze Star Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters, the Army Achievement Medal with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the National Defense Service Medal with Bronze Service Star, the Armed Forced Expedition Medal, the Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal, the Army Service Ribbon, the Overseas Service Ribbon and the NATO service medal

They posted LTC Lakin's birth certificate
http://safeguardourconstitution.com/images/stories/documents/apf02-tlakincertificateoflivebirth.pdf

timeline of events
http://safeguardourconstitution.com/images/stories/documents/apf03-lakintimelineofconcern.pdf

letter of Complaint of Wrongs Under Article 138, UCMJ against General Casey
http://safeguardourconstitution.com/images/stories/documents/apf05-ucmjarticle138nov16.pdf

the JAG's response
http://safeguardourconstitution.com/images/stories/documents/apf06-jagletter0717_001.pdf

congressional letter
http://safeguardourconstitution.com...nts/apf04-lakinfinalcongressionalresponse.pdf

This guy is absolutely nuts. How has this not come out until now and why such little coverage?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would expect some extremely negative proceedings to follow be they judicial or nonjudicial - either way his career is over. Embarrassing for the Army Military Department.

If he is a reservist, he could be deactivated and then separated at the convenience of the service.

A big legal proceeding would be counterproductive. The LTC, despite his awards, appears to be a crackpot in the thrall of the "Birthers," a fringe group of self-reinforcing and benighted constitutionalist buffoons. They actually take themselves seriously, which sadly robs them of a certain capacity for sly self-deprecating humor. At least Flat-Earthers have that.

Making a big case of this would only give the manipulators within the Birther phenomenon--and I believe there are clever and more aware members among them who cynically press this non-issue--a public spectacle that would give them media coverage. Watch the Army screw a decorated officer for trying to "define" his constitutional rights.

The denial of the 138 complaint for the reasons given was pure casuistry. I am sure that if General Casey (who probably doesn't know the complaintant from Adam) actually did want to exercise GCM or lesser authority against the LTC, a very clear path of a chain of command would become apparent. This just seems like a weak attempt to deflect the complaint in hope that the LTC would give up.

The "timeline" written, with its "spoke with friends" references, and his bumbling failure to spell the President's name correctly (twice) really makes the LTC appear to be less than fully capable of independent action.

My guess is that he will be separated with as little ceremony and publicity as possible.

I guess he figures Obama is guilty until proven innocent. What he doesn't realize is that the burden of proof falls on him and other birther's to prove that Obama is not a natural born citizen. That is what the constitution says right? I thought upholding the constitution was paramount to these people?

Nothing about the "birther's" argument is logical. Do they think Hillary or the McCain camp sat on this type of information and let the guy into the presidency? The Bush team that was helping McCain had one of the best and vaunted opposition research.

One has the right to disagree with Obama's policies but his actions are plain disgraceful.

Last edited:
Refusing a lawful order while at war.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled. Do they want it to just go away or will he be charged with treason?

The simple fact that he did this when he was due to deploy rather than after he got back says what kind of scumbag he is.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for the guy. Wonder what is driving him to do this. This will never happen but Obama should invite him to the White House, show him his birth certificate and ask him to go on the deployment.

I feel sorry for the guy. Wonder what is driving him to do this. This will never happen but Obama should invite him to the White House, show him his birth certificate and ask him to go on the deployment.

A de-activation followed by separation in the interests of the service would be a convenient end to this. He could be seen as unsuitable for continued service, past performance notwithstanding for reasons of unprofessional and deliberately vexatious conduct. Who would really want to serve with him anyway?

Courts martial is a waste of time. Even if a clear case of disobedience of a lawful order can be made, what is the overall benefit? Even with a conviction and dismissal with punishment, what would be the point except to feed the appetites of the crazies and paranoiacs that the military uses the club of courts martial to suppress a conspiracy to conceal the alleged ineligibility of the President?

He gets tossed after 17 years, no prospects for a reserve or active duty retirement. He gets a bad fitrep. He won't be allowed to re-enroll as a reservist. He has to carry the label of a nutball wherever he has to apply to work. That is enough. His problems will only be starting. He will be dealing with the consequences of his acts long after President Obama leaves office and long after the entire pathetic "Birther" phenomenon is forgotten.

Can't forget having a beer as well.

What a dope. If the President of the US was "forced" to show his birth cert--even if he didn't have one like some claim--he could come up with something to satisfy the masses. The president of the US essentially has access to more resources and more loyal die-hards than anybody else on the planet. Such a dumb move.

Looks to me like he found a convenient way out of deployment. Either way, this guy is a d-bag.

He has to carry the label of a nutball wherever he has to apply to work. That is enough. His problems will only be starting. He will be dealing with the consequences of his acts long after President Obama leaves office and long after the entire pathetic "Birther" phenomenon is forgotten.

Honestly, I don't think that will be too much of a problem for him. There are far too many "birther's" for him not to have numerous sympathizers, especially in the pissed off medical community.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2010/04/13/2267021.aspx

Looks like he's being taken to a Court Martial.

From NBC's Jim Miklaszewski and Mark Murray
U.S. military officials tell NBC News that the U.S. Army will court martial a lieutenant colonel who refuses to deploy to Afghanistan because he considers orders from President Obama to be "illegal."

Army doctor Lt. Col. Terry Lakin believes Obama does not meet the constitutional requirements to be president and commander-in-chief, because he believes (incorrectly) that Obama wasn't born in the United States.

Lakin refused this week to report to Fort Campbell, KY for deployment to Afghanistan, but instead showed up at the Pentagon, where he was confronted by his brigade Commander Col. Gordon Roberts, a Vietnam Medal of Honor recipient.

Lakin was informed by Roberts that he would face court martial, and his Pentagon building pass and government laptop computer were seized.

I'd like to see Obama's birth certificate as well.

Be sure to mention that at your medical school interviews.

It's sure to illustrate your capacity for critical thought in a way that will allow the committees to make an immediate decision on your application.

Be sure to mention that at your medical school interviews.

It's sure to illustrate your capacity for critical thought in a way that will allow the committees to make an immediate decision on your application.

Perhaps they may feel the same way I do.

What a shame. Just like so many random members of SDN, he should have just utilized Google, and that would have saved him a whole lot of trouble and scolding :smack:..... and ending up looking like an idiot (much respect to him for his 18 yrs of service, though)

Although I'm not a supporter of Obama in any way, shape or form, here is a link from the Harvard Law Review about his birth certificate:

http://www.hlrecord.org/news/origin...rthed-in-harvard-law-school-library-1.1293452

Last edited:
Do you think there is any possibility that someone put him up to doing this? It looked like a lot of work went into his website...

ArkansasRanger, have you been to the Creation Museum in Kentucky? They have an exhibit that proves humans and dinosaurs coexisted:

dinosaur.jpg

If only the Freepers had such strong photographic evidence for their theories about Obama's citizenship.

:laugh: Yeah. Tell them. Really. Do it. And then post back here and let us know how it went.

So, what's your backup plan if med school isn't in the cards?

I figured I'd join up, get rapid promotion, and become your boss.

What a shame. Just like so many random members of SDN, he should have just utilized Google, and that would have saved him a whole lot of trouble and scolding :smack:..... and ending up looking like an idiot (much respect to him for his 18 yrs of service, though)

Although I'm not a supporter of Obama in any way, shape or form, here is a link from the Harvard Law Review about his birth certificate:

http://www.hlrecord.org/news/origin...rthed-in-harvard-law-school-library-1.1293452

Scolding? Really? From some guys on a forum? lol ok

The military does have an uncanny knack for funneling the incompetent physicians into leadership admin roles.

I'm sure you'll go far.

Lol!

I'm AF M4, and I approve this thread.

props to AC for shredding the guy and the talking a-hole sitting on the left

And yet the birther ******s will just chalk this up to another unprovoked, deceptive, false attack from the librul media. :rolleyes:

They are impervious to logic.

Heh. As Vulcan as we'd all like to think we are, generally our thoughts are driven by the immediate gut feeling/emotion we have to a situation and then we build the logic of why we feel that way around it later.

This means that if someone has a strong enough incentive to believe something, then no logical argument will ever shake that belief.

That explains the birther movement. They hate the idea of Obama being president. They love the idea of finding a way to get him out of office without having to discuss the reasons for why they lost the election.

Whereas the doc just seems to want to get out of his deployment and has deluded himself into thinking that this is an honorable way in which to do so.

Last edited:
It's either the height of lunacy or pure nihilism the birther movement. This guy deserves a court marshal and the lose of his retirement benefits.

If there was any doubt left in anyone's mind that this guy is an oxygen thief, I think the case is closed.

Deploy him. Put him on a guard post. See how tough a deployment can be outside of the life of a physician. Then again, he'd be a risk to the folks around him; send him to Minot.

Someday when I'm in charge....

When I was a GMO, we had a dirtbag who tried pulling some crazy stunt to avoid deployment. We took him along. He never pulled guard duty or went outside the wire. He didn't carry a weapon. Instead, he spent amost every day of that deployment filling sandbags. He participated in almost every working party.

They should give this idiot a shovel, a couple pallets of empty sandbags, a patch of dirt, and nothing else. Maybe a spare shovel.

after some rockets hit one of our LSA's the FOB mayor decided to sandbag every CHU 2/3 of the way up the sides. we all pitched in, and at one point we actually RAN OUT OF SAND. in iraq. go figure. KBR probably charged $5 a bag to fill them for us, but we had the pleasure of stacking the damn things.

i remember a guy who had extra duty filling sandbags (in kit), who would come into sick call complaining of back pain, arm pain, etc etc. they could only work him for so long, and at one point i wrote a 2 week sick slip profile to allow him out of his kit (but still do the work). 2 days later i saw the guy lifting wts in the gym at midnight. i told him to come to sick call the next day and to bring his NCO. i took back his sick slip and let his 1SG do the rest, lol.

not to digress too much, but that stuff happened all the time. i never wrote for permanent profiles there, but would occasionally renew 90 day temporaries. when APFT time came around it would bring them out of the woodwork. one i extended his "no run" PT profile for chronic knee pain, then as i was competing in a FOB b-ball tournament played against him. after a few aggressive box-outs on free throws he figured out who i was, and after the game i told him i wanted his profile back.

the docs don't live in the aid station, lol. i think sometimes they forget that.

as far as Lakin goes, the dude is screwed. from what i've read, every JAG judge has said Obama isn't compelled to show anything in a case such as this, and that the judge in the case won't even consider it. He did not only disobey the president, but multiple other superior officers. i'm pretty sure my orders to deploy were not from the president. if a general tells him to deploy, (or brigade commander, or any COL or above for that matter) does/did he question their authority as well? the dude is grandstanding and likely wanting to turn this into a political career (or book deal). i hope he has fun making big rocks into little rocks at leavenworth . . or the middle east. rocks are rocks, right? :smuggrin:

--your friendly neighborhood order following (for the most part :cool:) caveman

at one point we actually RAN OUT OF SAND. in iraq. go figure.

Hah, we had to truck in dirt too. Some of the ground there is pretty rocky ...

as far as Lakin goes, the dude is screwed.

I hope so. Leavenworth isn't a bowl of parent-chili, but it would be close enough for government work.

cartman-tears.gif

this is interesting-- his last paragraph to GEN Casey:

If this complaint cannot be addressed in a proper manner under the Constitutional Laws or UCMJ, I will have to conclude that my Oath of Office has been made impossible for me to uphold, by action or inaction of the U.S. Army. My Oath, and all contractual agreements will be invalidated. I would retain the right to consider legal recourse to recover all pay and future benefits that would be lost by the one-sided alteration/invalidation of my Oath/contracts with the Army, DoD and the U.S. Government.

retain pay and future benefits if it cannot be addressed in a proper manner? "proper manner" as defined by whom? i think maybe going into this he thought he could either 1) be famous for getting the president to submit to his request or 2) not get his question answered and assume he could cash in. he forgot option 3) get shown the door, lose his pay and benefits, and spend some time in jail.

to take it further, wouldn't it only be invalid if his initial oath of office were illegitimate? ie, if president clinton was the authority for his initial oath, his oath is to the office (and specifically the consititution in the oath) and is valid, regardless of the qualification of that person holding the office subsequently. granted, i know jack about contract law, but the fact of the matter his original "contract" is valid. the more i think about it critically the more i think the guy is plain nuts. plus, he's prev-med :p may as well be an MSC officer and avoid the negative press for the MC. . .

--your friendly neighborhood armchair JAG caveman

derp derp derp said:
If this complaint cannot be addressed in a proper manner under the Constitutional Laws or UCMJ

LtCol, I think it's being addressed properly. :laugh:

He can assert all he wants about his oath and what the government "owes" him, but he's still going to catch the UCMJ hammer square in the forehead. What an embarrassment to the medical corps.

Does anyone else think this guy might sincerely believe what he's saying? I mean I looked at his profile: he has deployed several times over the course of his career, from Bosnia to Afghanistan. This definitely doesn't seem like someone who finished residency and realized that he didn't want to be in the military. Also he was just selected for promotion to O-6, and he's only 2 years from retirement, so it's not like he has an ax to grind because the military screwed his career. All in all I just can't imagine him doing this as some kind of scam.

Would you feel comfortable with him treating a family member of yours?

I don't think that anything he's done has thrown doubt on his ability to practice. There are lots of people with insane politics in medicine. This is all about what should happen to him for running out on his military obligation.

I don't think that anything he's done has thrown doubt on his ability to practice. There are lots of people with insane politics in medicine. This is all about what should happen to him for running out on his military obligation.
At what point does his generally bad decision making affect his clinical acumen? He's already thrown himself and his family under the bus, what makes you think he would care any more for his patients?

That's what I mean. I'm sort of hoping they just quietly seperate him, rather than throw the book at him.

I don't, I hope they throw the book at him, probably a reduction, maybe a BCD or general discharge. By allowing someone to openly and publicly question the validity of the presidents orders and then allow that same individual to slip out the back door just paves the way for others to do the same. What if this wasn't an O5, what if it was an E3 or E4? Would you want them to get the same treatment by allowing them to slip out the back door. It would set a bad precedence opening the flood gates to impostors who will decide it may be worth it to challenge the presidents authority because they don't want to be deployed again.

Shame that his career is down the tubes but he has no one to blame but himself. There are enough tea partiers out there that will be sympathetic and be willing to give him a job once this is all done with.