Army Reserve Dentistry - Career Logistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Broadstreet1

Reaction score
I am currently in dental school, and am interested in specializing either in endodontics or oral surgery. My stats are good so I'm not worried about the competitiveness of residency at this time, however my main concern is the loan burden I will have from school. I have heard a lot about the military reserve options, particularly the Army, and I am very interested in it for several reasons but mainly because it would reduce my debt significantly. I'm just worried about the logistics of maintaining a career, whether it be in private practice or part of a hospital system, while always having the lurking possibility of deployment. How do Reserve dental professionals manage their non-military careers? Would hospital systems be willing to hire an oral surgeon who has the possibility of deployment and has to take off several weeks a year for obligations? I apologize if any of this has been asked before, but any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the financial benefits of the military reserve options?

My stats are good so I'm not worried about the competitiveness of residency
6107C406-589A-44F4-9A02-3CA124ABAC2C.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently in dental school, and am interested in specializing either in endodontics or oral surgery. My stats are good so I'm not worried about the competitiveness of residency at this time, however my main concern is the loan burden I will have from school. I have heard a lot about the military reserve options, particularly the Army, and I am very interested in it for several reasons but mainly because it would reduce my debt significantly. I'm just worried about the logistics of maintaining a career, whether it be in private practice or part of a hospital system, while always having the lurking possibility of deployment. How do Reserve dental professionals manage their non-military careers? Would hospital systems be willing to hire an oral surgeon who has the possibility of deployment and has to take off several weeks a year for obligations? I apologize if any of this has been asked before, but any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
I don’t know about private practice but many reserve people I know work in government clinics or VA. It seems to work out well for them.

Do reserve dentists get deployed ? Or can they refuse ?
Yes they deploy. Why would you join the military if you would refuse a deployment? My understanding is that in the military you go where you’re ordered to go.

Yes they deploy. Why would you join the military if you would refuse a deployment? My understanding is that in the military you go where you’re ordered to go.
Oh ok. It’s hard for a woman with kids to be deployed, just thought of working for them part time