Army surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joob

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering doing surgery for the army, however, it seems that most of the surgery residencies require a year of research. Does anyone know if this adds on to the commitment to active duty after the residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I am considering doing surgery for the army, however, it seems that most of the surgery residencies require a year of research. Does anyone know if this adds on to the commitment to active duty after the residency?

You will need to read these forums very thoroughly before making that decision.

Its highly unlikely that the army would give you a deferment to train civilian. If they do, and you match to a program that requires a year of research, you would likely get another yr of deferment, and not it would not add to your commitment.

I heard very unofficially through the grapevine that there is a required year of research in army general surgery residencies, usually after your third year, I think. Obviously I haveno idea what the answer to your question is, but I was figuring that that makes it a 6-year residency, so one PGY-1 year and 5 years' payback. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I hope I am. I was sad enough already when I learned of the required year of research...

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard very unofficially through the grapevine that there is a required year of research in army general surgery residencies, usually after your third year, I think. Obviously I haveno idea what the answer to your question is, but I was figuring that that makes it a 6-year residency, so one PGY-1 year and 5 years' payback. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I hope I am. I was sad enough already when I learned of the required year of research...

Yup, that research year will add to your ADO, so most folks (those with a 4-year commitment) end up serving an extra year.

Yup, that research year will add to your ADO, so most folks (those with a 4-year commitment) end up serving an extra year.

I have not read this in the contract. If you are right,however, can someone sue them?

A year of research in Active Duty status during residency would add a year to the comittment.

I only know of only one Army residency that requires a research year--Walter Reed. Although BAMC has re-organized as a totally integrated BAMC/Wilford Hall program, so something may have changed there recently.

but yes, the year adds to your committment.

Research years as a deferred resident are very iffy. You would have to specifically get the extra year approved, and if the program considers the research time elective in any way, you may have a hard time. The military in general seems to frown on the extra training time, particulary when surgeons are badly needed right now.

All Army surgery programs have gone to six year programs with the research year being after your second year. BAMC switched to that about three years ago well before the "combining" with Wilford Hall. I use that term loosely because the only thing that really happened is the program took an R3 and an R4 from the Wilford Hall program. BAMC has started taking two Air Force residents of their own choosing for the last three years now.

And yes this extra research year will mean your payback will be 6 years instead of 5, and it is mandatory.

Also remember that Army General Surgery is pretty much the only program that still takes more interns than it has second year spots for. So BAMC takes 4 interns for 3 second year spots. WRAMC takes 6 for 4 spots etc.

All Army surgery programs have gone to six year programs with the research year being after your second year. BAMC switched to that about three years ago well before the "combining" with Wilford Hall. I use that term loosely because the only thing that really happened is the program took an R3 and an R4 from the Wilford Hall program. BAMC has started taking two Air Force residents of their own choosing for the last three years now.

And yes this extra research year will mean your payback will be 6 years instead of 5, and it is mandatory.

Also remember that Army General Surgery is pretty much the only program that still takes more interns than it has second year spots for. So BAMC takes 4 interns for 3 second year spots. WRAMC takes 6 for 4 spots etc.

So, uh, what happens to the extra interns when the year is over? Do R2 spots magically open somewhere?

So, uh, what happens to the extra interns when the year is over? Do R2 spots magically open somewhere?

No they definitely do not. A couple different things could happen. First someone in your program could quit because they dont want to do surgery anymore in which case everyone else gets to stay and there is no decision. The second thing that could happen is that no one from your program quits but say two people at another program quit well that program has a new opening and you could go there. Third if none of that happens well then you go to GMO land.

Sounds dismal. So the people who don't match and end up in transitional years? Are they pretty much forced to do a GMO since the chances of an R2 spot opening up aren't very good?

payback for a general surgery residency is 5 years. Remember your intern doesn't count for or against you. So 6-1 = 5. Since most HPSP commitments are 4 yrs you add 1. If you're a 2-3 you add whatever takes you to 5. If you went to Westpoint and took HPSP it won't add to your commitment cause your ADSO would be 5 + HPSP. If you to go to USUHS you won't incur any extra commitment since your commitment would already be 7yrs.