Army uniform(s) for rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be doing my first Army ADT rotation in a couple months. I have not yet been to OBC (was deferred d/t wife's pregnancy) so I really have no idea which uniform(s) I will need. Can I expect to be only in ACU, or will it mostly be the ASU?

What do I get for each? I'm not sure what unit patch and all that, or which braid color for the ASU.

Also, when do interviews for the mil match begin? I presume I will need the ASU/Dress blue for these anyway.

Pretty clueless, so thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally ACUs for most rotations. Dress greens/blues are reserved for interviews (generally July-October period). There's another thread on here detailing exactly what you need for uniform items. The ACU builder on the AAFES website is a good place to start.

Thanks. I actually already had one set of ACU and somehow figured out the right stuff to get for it. NOrmal standard issue is what, three sets? I can't remember. I presume even if it's more than 3, 3 should suffice for rotations.

I planned to go ahead and get my blues while I'm on break anyway. I read the other thread and had one quick question.

"The three ribbons you get for breathing fine, Army air are the Army Service Ribbon, the National Defense Ribbon, and the Global War on Terror Ribbon...the general consensus seems to be that you can wear them on your As if you meet the requirements for them (30+ days of active duty since 9/11/01)"

I had OBC deferred since wifey was pregnant, but I have done two 45 day ADTs since then (at school). I assume these count as my, "30+ days active duty" and I would be entitled to wear the ribbons on the blues?

thanks again

EDIT: After some reading, it seems I'm only eligible to wear the Global War on Terrorism ribbon.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I actually already had one set of ACU and somehow figured out the right stuff to get for it. NOrmal standard issue is what, three sets? I can't remember. I presume even if it's more than 3, 3 should suffice for rotations.

It largely depends on what the rotation is. If you're only wearing your ACUs to and from the hospital, and changing into scrubs as soon as you enter, why would you need more than one or two full sets?

It largely depends on what the rotation is. If you're only wearing your ACUs to and from the hospital, and changing into scrubs as soon as you enter, why would you need more than one or two full sets?

I doubt I'll be wearing scrubs. I'm pretty sure my ADT will be in IM; probably too late to try and setup an EM rotation.