Quantcast

Army Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chopperdoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Can anyone speak to the pro/cons of the different Urology residency training programs? What is your impression of Army Urology as a career in the military?
Thanks.

Galo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
chopperdoc said:
Can anyone speak to the pro/cons of the different Urology residency training programs? What is your impression of Army Urology as a career in the military?
Thanks.

Can't speak specifically about the army, but in the AF, my urology friends got out as soon as possible. Main reasons were lack of clinical material, poor support, lack of OR time, deployments etc. I'd call up the army bases and talk to urologists there to see what they have to say. Also, some of my friends more than quadrupoled (sp?) their salaries the year they got out.

Spang

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Galo said:
Can't speak specifically about the army, but in the AF, my urology friends got out as soon as possible. Main reasons were lack of clinical material, poor support, lack of OR time, deployments etc. I'd call up the army bases and talk to urologists there to see what they have to say. Also, some of my friends more than quadrupoled (sp?) their salaries the year they got out.

Your salary will no doubt be much higher on the outside.

Residency training in the military is not the same as civilian. Better, worse or just different is a discussion all in itself. The "cons" of military medicine are many and have been covered in great detail by many experienced people on this forum.

You may want to check out the Society for Government Service Urologists. They have many current- and prior-active duty members. Their website:
http://home.satx.rr.com/sgsu/

Best of luck in whatever field you choose.

spang